Sesame Street’s most infamous sugar addict puts his own spin on Carly Rae’s hit with ‘Share It Maybe.’
Apparently, the internet’s philosophy towards “Call Me Maybe” parodies is a lot like Cookie Monster‘s philosophy towards cookies: There’s always room for one more! And so, the brilliant minds at the Children’s Television Workshop have delivered their own hilarious spoof, featuring Cookie Monster, as he begs an office full of people to share their snacks. (Yeah, he’s one of those co-workers.)
But, while this song is undoubtedly catchy and adorable, it’s also somewhat disturbing. We’ve always known that Cookie Monster has a soft spot for baked goods, but the lyrics in this new spoof also shine a spotlight on the horrific truth we’ve all chosen to overlook for decades: Cookie Monster is addicted to cookies, and it’s becoming a very serious problem.
I’ve taken the liberty of collecting Cookie Monster’s five most troubling lyrics:
1. “Me trade me soul for a bite.” (He is no longer able to distinguish the value of cookies.)
2. “Me start to really freak out.” (He’s openly admitting to having withdrawal symptoms.)
3. “Me trying to sleep all night.” (His addiction is now affecting his sleeping habits.)
4. “It’s taking toll on me house.” (His home, and quality of life, are also being affected.)
5. “It’s hard to look at you snack baby.” (He can’t even make eye contact with his suppliers.)
If this isn’t a cry for help, I don’t know what is. So, now we have a choice on our hands: Are we going to sit idly by, as Cookie Monster eats himself into an early grave, or are we going to come together and get this misguided Muppet the help he so desperately deserves?
— Andy Swift
More ‘Call Me Maybe’ Spoofs: