Moms around the country have erupted over the controversial magazine cover. Do YOU think you should breast feed your kid until he’s nearly 4 years old in order for him to feel attached to you, or is it too much? Find out what moms and experts are saying!
When the explosive Time magazine cover of blogger Jamie Lynne Grumet nursing her nearly 4-year-old son Aram hit stands on May 10, it spurred intense debate all over the country. Is the idea behind “attachment parenting” too much?
More that 122,00 people responded a TODAY poll with 27 percent answering “It’s great”, and 73 percent saying “I don’t really want to see that.” Here are some expert reactions to the cover.
- “It’s immediately shocking, and it’s meant to be shocking,” said Harvard sociologist Levey Friedman to New England Cable News.
- “When you give a child the feeling that the whole world revolves around them, it’s not good training for the real world because the whole world doesn’t revolved around anybody,” said psychologist Robi Ludwig to the TODAY show on May 10.
- “The idea of a mother breastfeeding a grown boy is both outlandish and disturbing, which is also a good way to characterize what Time magazine has become,” said Dan Gainor of the Cultured Media Institute said to Radar Online. “But people have to realize this is biologically normal. It’s not socially normal. The more people see it, the more it’ll become normal in our culture. That’s what I’m hoping.”
- “We understand that Americans are uncomfortable with [the Time cover], but in cultures where babies wean themselves normally, usually somewhere around age 3 or 4, it is perfectly acceptable,” Bettina Forbes, co-founder of Best for Babes, a group dedicated to educating moms about breast feeding, to TMZ.
What are YOUR thoughts HollyMoms? Check out Jamie’s video, and tell us what you think!
— Lorraine Chow
More HollyBaby news:
- Time Magazine’s Breast Feeding Cover: Dane Cook & More Celebs React
- ‘Time’ Magazine Breast-Feeding Mom: Why I Did It — VIDEO
- Mom Breastfeeds Three-Year-Old Son On ‘Time’ Cover — Appropriate?