Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Three Kids Die In House Fire After Drunk Mom Falls Asleep And Drops Cigarette

Fri, April 1, 2011 5:59pm EDT by Add first Comment

It’s devastating to know that one small cigarette claimed the lives of the three kids, aged three to nine.

What a terrible tragedy. Three children, William Beal, 9, Antony Fothergill, 5, and three-year-old Maddie Hudson, of East Riding, UK were found dead in their home after their intoxicated mother fell asleep and dropped her cigarette — igniting the house. The 27-year-old mother Samantha Hudson was left with horrible injuries, but is alive after be resuscitated at the scene. Very sad.

The court was told by authorities that Samantha had been at her sister’s birthday party and began drinking at lunchtime on the day of the accident, Nov. 11. She visited several more pubs during the day and returned to her property at 11pm, where she continued to drink and smoke with a friend David Hall and her brother Mark Hudson.

After the two men left, Samantha allegedly fell asleep with a lit cigarette in her hand, which eventually dropped. The cigarette smoldered before igniting clothes, curtains, furniture and even the TV set.

“I concluded that a carelessly discarded cigarette was the most likely cause of the fire,” fire investigator Steve Henry explains. “Samantha sat in the living room, possibly asleep. She was woken by the fire or smoke alarm and went upstairs to aid her children. She gathered her children on the second-floor bedroom. It was in this room that the firefighters found the family huddled together.”

The three kids passed away due to the smoke and fumes.

Samantha’s mother explains that her daughter has no quality of life and is suffering from devastating injuries, months later.

It’s truly a tragic accident and we feel terrible for the family.

–Leigh Blickley
12-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth On A School Trip! And She Didn’t Even Know She Was Pregnant!
Grandparents Want A Surrogate Baby With Dead Son’s Sperm — Is This Ethical?