Heading on a trip? Whether you’re vacationing to sun or ski, it’s SO IMPORTANT to wear sunscreen!
Here are a few facts from The Skin Cancer Foundation that may scare you: one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime, women aged 39 and under have a higher probability of developing melanoma (the deadliest form of skin cancer) than any other cancer except breast cancer, and the vast majority of mutations found in melanoma are caused by UV rays! OK, now do we have your attention?We spoke to Dr. Ellen S. Marmur, Associate Professor and Chief of Dermatologic and Cosmetic Surgery at The Mount Sinai Medical Center in NYC, who is an expert on sun protection. She told us about the best ways to protect yourself from skin cancer, and from some pretty ugly results of sun damage, like brown and red pigmentation, stretched pores, and a loss of elasticity in the face.
- Wear Sunscreen Every Day! Even incidental sun exposure (like on your walk to work) can add up and cause damage, so use SPF 15 or 30 on days when your exposure will be light, and at least keep your face, neck, and hands covered. On days when you will be spending more time outdoors, SPF 30 to 50 is best, applied all over. (And don’t forget key areas, like lips and the space between your eyes on your forehead. Dr. Marmur sees tons of skin cancers in these areas because people forget to apply protection there!)
- Remember Two Rules! Dr. Marmur is a true expert on skin cancer prevention, and she gave us some insider tips:
1) Reapply every two hours. This is essential! Sweat, water, and the oils in your skin all break down sunscreen, so if you applied it in the morning and it’s already mid-afternoon, don’t count yourself covered!
2) When you start feeling hot, you’re no longer protected! Sunscreen provides an “air conditioning effect,” keeping your skin from absorbing as much heat. When you start feeling hot, your sunscreen has likely worn off!
- Make It Work For You! You don’t have to sacrifice– you can have products that do it all! In our product gallery, we provide a list of products that do double-duty, treating your skin care concerns while keeping you protected. Now you don’t have the excuse, “Well, I would have worn sunscreen, but I need to use a product that works for my skin!” Check out our photo gallery for details, and click to purchase here!
- For Wrinkles: Dr. Lewinn by Kinerase Wrinkle Repair Daily Cream SPF 30
- For Sensitive Skin: CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM with SPF 30
- For the Super-Active: Neutrogena Ultimate Sport Sunblock Lotion SPF 30
- For Under Makeup: Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+
- For Dry Skin: Dermalogica Extra Rich FaceBlock SPF 30 and Dermalogica Multivitamin BodyBlock SPF 20
- For Everyday Moisture: Eucerin Everyday Protection Body Lotion SPF 15
- For Acne-Prone Skin: Proactiv Daily Protection Plus Sunscreen SPF 30
- For Powder Formula: Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF 45
PLEASE be careful in the sun! Your skin will thank you later!