The remaining three American Idol hopefuls will be singing two songs each tomorrow night — and hopefully their own picks are better than the crud the judges chose!
I can’t even tell you how disappointed I am in music ‘professionals’ Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi and Randy Jackson (fourth American Idol judge Ellen DeGeneres gets a pass since she’s mostly there for entertainment purposes). Just wait until you hear the sappy pap they’ve selected for Casey James, Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze to sing during contestant/judge’s choice song week, and just try to tell me you’re impressed with their picks!
Cranky Cowell, 50, is always banging on about picking ‘the right song.’ He did, in fact, pick a great song for Lee, 24 — Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” — but which also happens to be a tune already sung this season, by Teflon Tim Urban. This is also THE song that made darling dreadlocked hippie Jason Castro stand out during season 7. Play again, Simon.
As for Ellen, 52, I’m sorry, but her song selection is a travesty in the making. She chose Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed” for Crystal, 24. Mama Sox rocks, but there’s just no way she can make this snoozefest of a song interesting.
Proof that two minds thinking alike isn’t such a great thing: Kara and Randy’s joint pick for Casey, 27…John Mayer’s make-me-want-to-gag-it’s-so-cheesy tune, “Daughters.” Come on! Do they WANT to kill Casey’s sex appeal? Because if anything can do it, it’s this song. Instead, K&R should have had the Texan croon Mayer the Player’s “Your Body Is A Wonderland.” Although Kara, 39, might have taken some flak for being a pervy cougar, and least the tune wouldn’t be an assault on my eardrums.
But what SHOULD the contestants sing? Here are my picks for the final three contestants. Weigh in and let me know what your suggestions are!
• John Mayer, “Your Body Is A Wonderland”
• Damn Yankees, “High Enough”
• The Script, “Breakeven”
• Melissa Etheridge, “I’m the Only One”
• Beth Hart, “World Without You”
• Leona Lewis’ version of Snow Patrol’s “Run”
• U2, “One”
• Cat Stevens, “The First Cut Is The Deepest”
• Green Day, “21 Guns”
Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!
- What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
- Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
- EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
- EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
- Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
- Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
- Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva
Check out movies sexiest women of summer! (Moviefone)
Take a look at this ‘Eclipse’ sneak peek! (The Frisky)
Can falling in love change your looks? (Glamour)