The Mad Men star has me going mad for her flawless hair and makeup!
Obviously all the ladies looked gorgeous at the Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 17 but January Jones stood out amongst the sea of beauties. Her bright lips, bold brows and flawless coif were so fresh and gorgeous. So, what was the thinking behind January’s look? “She wears red lips a lot as her character but we wanted to show a modern version of how a woman wears a red lip now – we ushered it into the future,” says her makeup artist, Rachel Goodwin. “As soon as I saw the dress I knew I wanted to put her hair up,” says hairstylist Mark Townsend. “I think that adding the satin ribbon as a headband gave a classic French twist a very modern edge.” We couldn’t agree more with Rachel and Mark. Her look was just retro enough and completely and perfectly modern.Here’s how Rachel Goodwin did January’s Makeup!
- “Rather than going with a warmer red tone, we went with a raspberry red. The Chanel Rouge Coco Hydrating Creme
Lip Colour in Paris is a beautiful ruby color – it’s amazing!” Rachel says. Unfortunately this shade won’t be available until March but for now you can try Chanel Rouge Allure Lip Color in Lover, it’s a very similar hue.
- “To keep it chic, I kept the rest of face clean. I didn’t use blush at all. Instead, I used Nars Multiple Bronzer in Cap Vert – I love it, it’s the perfect color on anyone and has no shimmer. It brings out the cheek bones without adding more color,” Rachel says. To contour the cheek, “feel your cheekbones and put your finger right under where the bone is by your ear and come in towards the inner cheek with the bronzer.”
- “I kept the eyes incredibly simple – just the slightest amount of black liner on the inside of her lash line. I didn’t want it to be about the eyeliner,” Rachel says.
- “Focus on a bold brow instead of a bold eye. I used the Anastasia Brow Pen to make them bold,” Rachel says. A good tip for filling in your brows is to start filling in from the bottom, “when you start from top, it can look a little bit too much. The shape is easier to get right coming from the base. Then, extend the brow slightly, like a quarter of an inch to help balance out the face,” Rachel suggests.
Here’s how Mark Townsend got January’s hair!
- “I started by applying a small amount of Moroccanoil Treatment to January’s damp hair and blow-dried it with a round brush – it gives hair amazing shine and silky finish, an essential to the look I had in mind,” Mark says.
- “When the hair was dry, I took a dollop of Moroccanoil Hydrating Styling
Cream into my hands and then finger combed the hair to give a soft hold,” Mark says.
- “Finally, I gathered the hair into a French twist and secured with about 10
bobby pins. To give her a progressive, chic look I used satin ribbon as a
headband.” – Marta Topran