Here’s how to modernize your retro looks just like Rachel!
Rachel McAdams looked anything but elementary at the Sherlock Holmes premiere in Berlin on Jan. 12. She can thank her talented makeup artist (and sister!), Kayleen McAdams for her gorgeous look. “It was a fun look to execute,” Kayleen says. “We wanted to play up that 1940s lined eye while doing little tricks to keep it more modern, like doing the purple lip rather than a red one.” Here’s how to get Rachel’s look!
- “We started with a deep purple lipstick that we loved and thought would go great with the dress. It was almost like a candy color – like purple bubblegum. That was our driving force behind the look and the rest of it just fell into place from there.”
- Kayleen started by prepping Rachel’s skin with a luminizing primer and tinted moisturizer. She covered up under her eyes and dusted her face with loose powder.
- “I used Hoola bronzer by Benefit to contour Rachel’s face and provide some colour and dimension,” Kayleen says.
- “For her eyes I used Dior’s 5 Colour palette in Incognito to contour the eye and used black liquid liner in a thin line just along the top lashes, creating a little wing at the end to give it a tiny “cat eye” feel. I then used a plain black shadow on top of the liner to set it.”
- “For the lips, I first lined her natural shape with Lipstick Queen’s Chinatown Glossy Pencil in Mystery. Then I used Victoria Secret’s Lipstick in Be Mine to fill in the rest of the lip. Blot and reapply and presto, that’s the look!” Kayleen says. – Marta Topran