What was your favorite moment of the night?
Were you as glued to the TV as we were last night during the two-hour Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief? Every big name star from Robert Pattinson to Alicia Keys came out to show their support, either though answering phones, speaking from the heart or performing live on stage. The telethon’s organizer, George Clooney, opened the night with an inspirational message: “This is a tragedy that reaches across all borders, all boundaries and demands our attention, our help and our compassion as fellow human beings,” he said. “The Haitian people need our help. They need to know that they’re not alone. They need to know we still care.”
Here were some of our favorite moments from the telethon:
- Jay-Z, Rihanna, Bono and The Edge performed a brand new song, “Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour),” which was written exclusively for the telethon. Seriously, what an amazing combination of voices.
- We loved watching celebs interact with callers over the phone. Julia Roberts and Reese Witherspoon seemed especially genuine as they chatted with real people from all over the country about how the tragedy affected them, and what they’re doing to help with the relief effort.
- Christina Aguilera performed a brand new ballad, “Lift Me Up,” and we loved every second of it. Christina, what a voice! This may have been the most emotional performance we’ve seen from her.
- Madonna‘s performance of her 1989 hit “Like A Prayer” was also incredible! Not only was she backed by a choir of booming voices, but she looked fantastic!
- A really moving cover of “Lean On Me” was performed by Sheryl Crow, Keith Urban and Kid Rock. We loved Kid Rock’s raspy vocals and Sheryl looked stunning. These three should definitely perform together again!
- Heartfelt appeals from stars like Leonardo DiCaprio and Halle Berry were so inspiring. It was impossible not to be deeply moved by all the emotional images they showed out of Haiti.
Those were a few of our favorite moments, but the truth is that the entire night was a breathtaking feat from start to finish. We still can’t believe how quickly George rounded up celebs and organized all the performances. He and everyone else involved in the planning of this telethon deserve a big thank you.
All of the performances are available for download on iTunes now, with all proceeds going to relief in Haiti.
Tells us: What were YOUR favorite moments from last night’s riveting telethon?