Posted Mon, October 4, 2010 12:25pm EDT

Bonnie Asks: Why Did Kody Take A 4th Wife After 16 Years? Why Don’t The Other Wives hate Her & How Do The Browns Afford Their Lifestyle?

Posted Mon, October 4, 2010 12:25pm EDT

Sister Wives burning questions! Kody Brown, his four wives and 16 kids have about as many mysteries on TLC’s new series as we were treated to on Lost.

Mystery #1! Why after 16 years and three long term wivesMeri, 39, Janelle, 40, Christine, 37 — is Kody Brown suddenly courting again? And why did first and only legal wife Meri, introduce Kody to Robyn, 31, the woman who will become sister wife #4? There’s no explanation for why Kody, 42, a salesman, who clearly already leads a hyper-busy life already, (servicing three wives and giving love and attention to thirteen kids from a newborn baby girl to teens) would feel the need to take on another woman who’s divorced and has three young children.

Does he have sexual urges that need satiating and would the wives rather he fooled around within the family, than without? Or is it a religious necessity to keep on taking more wives?

Mystery #2: How do the Browns afford their polygamist lifestyle? This one is a huge headscratcher – they have a custom-built gigantic house with separate living areas for each wife and her kids, they have numerous cars including a Lexus, they’ve rented a new separate house for the fourth “wife,” Robyn, there are 16 kids to feed, clothe and put through college — how do they afford it? There’s no discussion of finances on the show or indication of any severe budgeting and Kody talks about wanting even more kids. Yet there’s no way that Kody can work overtime AND he has date nights with each of his wives … expensive!

Mystery #3: Does Kody — as well as sharing the bedroom of his four wives — ALSO have his own separate bedroom? It sure looks like he does. In last night’s episode, he went into “his room” to pack for his trip to court soon-to-be wife, Robyn!

Mystery #4: How did this quintet — Kody and his four wives — hide (until now) their lifestyle from the outside world. He and three of his wives work. Do their bosses and co-workers know nothing about them? Did Kody until now only take first wife Meri out when he has to go to “functions” in the outside world? Or did they only socialize with other polygamists?

Mystery #5: What’s really in it for the women? And why wouldn’t they consider being a polygamist family with one wife and multiple husbands? Why is polygamy only for families headed by a man? And what happens to the “other” polygamist-born men who have to compete for wives, i.e., there must be a shortage of women if one man can hoard four wives for  himself?

Mystery #6: Why would Kody chose now, to court and prepare to marry , a fourth wife, when  Christine is pregnant and about to deliver a baby girl? Isn’t that highly insensitive of Kody? He’s not around, while she’s prepping a baby nursery. Couldn’t he have held back, pursuing another wife at least until after she gave birth?

Mystery #7: Why don’t Kody’s three wives HATE wife #4 Robyn? Christine does seem to have some issues with her- not surprisingly. Or at least be honest that they’re hating her. There’s clearly passive-aggressive hating going on.

“You’re replacing your family and kids with Robyn and her kids!”

“Now things are unbalanced!”

“I’m glad he’s getting a trophy wife!”

“I’m panicking — I thought it was horrible (Kody courting Robyn) — I totally felt like I lost my best friend.”

These are just some of the comments the first three wives, had to say about the fourth, on last night’s episode.

Sorry Kody — you may say “in the lifestyle we’ve chosen – the more, the merrier,” but I’m not buying that your wives are truly believers!

–Bonnie Fuller

Click Here For More Pics Of The Sister Wives!

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

jake

Posted at 2:16 AM on September 26, 2011

i truly wish that the first 3 wives “divorce” Kody and file for child support. only then will i believe there is a just God. he is no different from radical muslims who “use” God as an excuse. and i would never put my children in that light.

Cornelia Huntington

Posted at 9:53 PM on October 2, 2011

YES! Leave the creep and get him to pay child support!

Edith

Posted at 2:18 PM on November 20, 2011

AMEN ………… let him have that 2 bit w—-.robin ………..

Jim Dandy

Posted at 2:43 PM on December 31, 2010

I don’t see how this is any worse than the predominate multiple baby daddy culture.

Is swinging illegal? No.

Is cheating on one’s spouse illegal? No.

Are open marriages illegal? No.

Is having multiple children from multiple fathers illegal? No.

In fact, all are so common they are part of our current social norms.

How odd that because they all consider themselves married this runs against the grain of our collective social mores, while all of the other stuff listed above does not.

I myself believe in personal freedom. If these people are consenting adults and participating freely, I could not care less. Let them be.

Belen Chocurua

Posted at 10:08 PM on October 16, 2011

right on Jim Dandy! I too am amazed that people are so judgmental. I don’t have a problem with what they are doing either. So what? I can’t stand Kody or Robyn but they have a right to live as they wish!

Rhys

Posted at 12:58 PM on December 12, 2011

AMEN, Jim Dandy. Seriously. People live in communes and raise their children as a group – that’s legal. People have multiple children from multiple partners – that’s legal. People have all sorts of crazy living and parenting arrangements, and no one even bats and eyelid. But as you said, these people say they consider themselves married, and all of a sudden, it “runs against the grain of our collective social mores.” It makes no sense.

If open marriages are legal, then this should be, too. Because that’s technically what it is. He’s only legally married to one wife. So why is this even an issue? I’d much rather the Browns be procreating than a bunch of crackheads and deadbeats who don’t take care of their kids and rely on government services, paid for by us, the taxpayers, to do it for them.

I like the Browns, and while I could never be in a poly relationship, I think they need to be left alone.

Jim Dandy

Posted at 2:38 PM on December 31, 2010

You realize the show is not about you and your neighbor Terry, right?

wendilee

Posted at 10:33 PM on October 16, 2011

who in the hell are you referring to? who is Terry? and who’s neighbor is he?? I don’t get it.

Tess

Posted at 3:11 PM on November 21, 2010

Kody treats poor Janelle like a stranger! He see’s her and says “Hey how ya doin?” like he hadn’t talked to her in ages and she just an old aquaintence. Then the azzhole gives her a peck on the side of the head. what an idiot!

somebody needs to slap him around

Cornelia

Posted at 9:54 PM on October 2, 2011

Janelle is a DOLL!
She can do better- all of them (except Robyn- yeech) can do better.

Edith

Posted at 2:21 PM on November 20, 2011

AMEN ….

Tess

Posted at 3:11 PM on November 21, 2010

Kody treats poor Janelle like a stranger! He see’s her and says “Hey how ya doin?” like he hadn’t talked to her in ages and she just an old aquantence. Then the azzhole gives her a peck on the side of the head. what an idiot!

somebody needs to slap him around

mimi tholsted

Posted at 10:43 AM on October 20, 2010

Look at the 3 wives dressed in brown – like 3 big moose , wauh how discusting can it be, Robin is it the future image, fat and dressed in brown for the 5. wedding…..? you are doing a big big mistake!!!!! and where were they all day when you were preparing for the ceromoni???? you will have problems with them……..and where is your husband when you need him ? hiding behind the fat a.. of the 3…..?

Rebecca

Posted at 10:22 AM on October 15, 2010

ok cody will grow older and the ones that think this if okay what will they think when he becomes around 50 or older and takes on teenagers around 13 or 14 yrs old to marry? he is sick and has brain washed the women in his life that is ok how do they file taxes or do they? i hope the irs investigates them also you know he makes good money or the wives do when he is shown driving the sports car

caroleann

Posted at 8:18 AM on October 15, 2010

After having said all that, I will say, At least, he provides for his children and doesn’t kick a woman to the curb when he is finished with her… I think a lot of marriages could be saved if the wife approved of the other woman… LOL

Cornelia

Posted at 9:56 PM on October 2, 2011

And when to the “sister wives” get to bring their boyfriends home with them??

caroleann

Posted at 8:15 AM on October 15, 2010

outside the lives of sister wives~~~~ most women who have an extra marital affair are OK with the “wife” of their lover, as long as she has him during the affair right? and many wives secretly know about the other woman and never say anything for years perhaps. In my opinion, these women are no different. Hey, they get a wonderful house, daily meals, sex with a good looking man at least once every two weeks and they get to give over the kids to another woman on a regular basis. Many ladies who are on mothers allowance would love this setup. I like Kody and I think he is genuine but selfish, just as all men would be in his circumstance. I am sure he is doing what many millions of men would love to do. Having said that, I believe his women are a little bit “cult material” to begin with to allow him to so conveniently get away with satisfying his desires in such a public away. I can enjoy the friendship of other women without putting up with them sharing a bed with the man I love.He has some kind of power over them and if they make a lot of money by doing this reality show, just watch them slowly ease themselves away and start a new life with another man…who wont cheat on them in the name of religion
Kody acts like he is a warm understanding man but I think underneath, he is a tyrant with a wicked temper and keeps his women in check.

Ms-tified

Posted at 1:25 PM on October 11, 2010

It kinda tells something about the 1st wife in her choice of choosing an obese woman as wife # 2 & a thinner but horse faced one as #3. What a surprise when Kody finally picks his own: 12 years this junior & gorgeous! And only AFTER Ms. America joins the family does the topic of jealousy crop up.

Tess

Posted at 3:03 PM on November 21, 2010

gorgeous? She has a pointy witch face and NO figure! No shape, no boobs, no personality! She is skanky! GORGEOUS? She is an ugly bitch! you must be sheltered!

kasi

Posted at 7:30 PM on April 18, 2011

It clearly states in the show that Meri introduces AND encourages Kody with the 4th wife.

britt

Posted at 10:56 PM on July 2, 2011

Sorry but Meri actually introduced them and thought she (Robyn) would fit in well with the family.

Cornelia Huntington

Posted at 9:48 PM on October 2, 2011

Robyn, to me, is the ONLY wife who is homely.
I think Meri is very pretty, Christine is the sweetest, and Janelle is both pretty and sweet. Robyn has a jaw that is two sizes too big for her face. She flaunts her thinnish, but not terribly pretty, figure seemingly to hurt the other wives.
Meri could find a fine, fine husband who’d worship her.
Janelle and Christine are not, to me, as beautifulk as Meri, but there is nothing wrong with them.
Robyn is a BEAST.

Edith

Posted at 2:32 PM on November 20, 2011

you got that right robin is as homely as they come …and thoses fake tears at the drop of a hat.

Rhys

Posted at 1:06 PM on December 12, 2011

I know… gag me. She’s so over the-top-dramatic. “This is… ::whisper crying:: … this is not the America that I know.” ::slow turn from the camera… tears tears tears, sniffle sniffle::

She’s ridiculous. And thus far, doesn’t seem to really fit in with the family, either. Kind of almost like that person on a team who doesn’t really know what to do, so they run around saying “what can I do? what can I do?” But never really doing anything or contributing to the cause.

I agree with Cornelia Huntington – Meri and Christine and Janelle are all so lovely. I would be friends with them. Robyn… not so much. She’s dramatic, fake, totally un-useful, and totally homely.

Cornelia Huntington

Posted at 9:48 PM on October 2, 2011

Robyn, to me, is the ONLY wife who is homely.
Meri could find a fine, fine husband who’d worship her.
Janelle and Christine are not, to me, as beautiful as Meri, but there is nothing wrong with them.
Robyn is a BEAST.

Ms-tified

Posted at 1:06 PM on October 11, 2010

After seeing all TLC’s episodes, I am mystified by all the above. And here’s a mystery no one has yet asked:

Does Kody wear a separate wedding band with each wife, or is it ” 1 size-fits-all? “

Meeka

Posted at 10:19 PM on October 17, 2010

Ha….LOL! Sick huh?

Cornelia Huntington

Posted at 9:51 PM on October 2, 2011

Uhm, Kody is on the make driving his little 2-seater Lexus.
The women wear wedding bands, but Mr Stud (puke) Kody does not.
He is the most-despised man in the USA.
He and Robyn (whom I think is a guy in drag) should leave the other three decent women and let their bfs move in.
What about Robyn’s messed-up kid?
Is Kody Brown a healthy role model for the mentally-challenged kid?
Robyn is disgusting- almost as gross as Kody

Edith

Posted at 2:34 PM on November 20, 2011

1 size fits all and you notice he calls them all hon so he dont call out a wrong name. and robins baby can only turn out homely .it dont stand a chance in hell of being cute.

Lisa

Posted at 8:42 AM on October 8, 2010

I watched the show the other day. He doesn’t strike me as a bad or evil guy but he’s definitely taking advantage of women with low self esteem. Look at the women: two of them are quite overweight, the new one obviously has emotional issues (she cries at the drop of the hat) and the 1st wife has looked 40 since she was 20 (in fact she looks better now.) He married most of them when they were young and stupid and probably thought they couldn’t do any better and now he’s got them convinced they can’t leave because of the kids. I hope they get out and I hope the new one gets counselling. She has issues.

britt

Posted at 11:00 PM on July 2, 2011

I think Meri is prettier than all of them put together!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnthropologyBuff

Posted at 3:08 AM on October 7, 2010

PS. In countries that only allow monogomous marriages, only the first wife will legally marry her husband. The others will have ceremonial marriages only. (in FLDS Mormonism they are called ‘celestial marriages’)

So legally he only has one wife.

AnthropologyBuff

Posted at 3:06 AM on October 7, 2010

Re: Mystery #5

Polygamy actually refers to any marriage with more than two spouses.

Having multiple wives is actually called Polygyny. Having multiple husbands is called Polyandry.

Many people use the term less specific term Polygamy when discussing multiple-wife relationships, probably because Polyandry is alot less common.

And polygyny does cause a shortage of elegible women in societies with equal numbers of men and women (ie: unlike certain Polgynous African countries where the male population has been diminished by war)

The men of higher social standing are the ones that recieve more wives. Some men in Polygynous societies have to wait years for even one wife, when the socially prominant men will be given many wives. This is in part because some families marry off their daughters to establish bonds with other families.

i love taylor lautner 101

Posted at 8:07 PM on October 6, 2010

how is he married to all of them isnt that illegal?

jes

Posted at 4:50 PM on October 6, 2010

I don’t agree with this lifestyle but it’s not up to any of us to judge these people. The woman are all consenting adults and what they do with their lives is their business. I understand that the family is putting all their business out for the world to see but why do people have to bash them. They support themselves and the children seem well cared for. So you don’t agree with them that doesn’t mean you should spread hate. Last time I checked we live in the USA which gives us the freedom to have our own lives and beliefs. For example I am the mother of 3 daughters and I don’t think teenage girls should wear string bikini’s but that doesn’t mean when I see a teenage girl wearing one that I lash out at her because she is wearing something I wouldn’t allow my child to wear. They aren’t hurting anyone why lash out at them. If you don’t like the show don’t watch it. It really is that simple.

Edith

Posted at 2:37 PM on November 20, 2011

The woman are all consenting adults and what they do with their lives is their business…….WRONG …they are running from the law .wow what a thing to teach your kids . if the law is after you run you are a great mom is that what you teach?

Alara

Posted at 4:18 PM on October 6, 2010

I’m sorry, but WTF is wrong with these people?!!? Are they from an entirely different planet that they don’t see what they’re doing as strange and abnormal? And what about these religious sects that let the man marry as many women as he wants, and the woman can’t have as many men as she wants? Not only is it disgusting but it’s sexist and unfair! Ok, the world is just messed up, that’s all there is to it, a messed up place alright…

Mckensey

Posted at 1:06 PM on October 6, 2010

Its not the Mormon or LDS Church. Its the FLDS. The LDS banned the practice of plural marriage a long time ago. Its not just a huge problem in Utah. Its a problem in Idaho, Arizona, Texas and other states and countries. I believe it to be wrong. I’m from Utah and I hate so see people assume it only happens in Utah. Its a Country wide epidemic. We are spending millions of dollars in welfare, medical taxes for these people! And the TLC glorifies and makes a show about something that is illegal… They should not get away with this. Its illegal. But you need to know its not the LDS church, its the FLDS.

Rebecca

Posted at 10:06 AM on October 15, 2010

I am a mormon and it is not a practiced in the LDS church and there is a reason for this it is illegal and if anyone is thinking this is ok it is not okay the children to be taught it is okay kody to runs from one apartment to the other in between dating another woman instead of spending time with his children if you notice you will not see any of the brothers or relatives on the show they are they are smarter than kody and the wives who are hopefully to be arrested for exploiting there lifestyle and any one thinking is ok what will they think of him when he gets older and wants to marry a teenager to have his children this is what happens

Edith

Posted at 2:42 PM on November 20, 2011

well I keep hoping that robins kids dad or family will come and get them.and the other kids and 3 wives should all go back to Utah into their house. and kody could come and have visitation rights to the kids .only Meri is stuck in the relationship the other 2 can marry any time they want to the fisrt 3 wont care I dont think they will be there and robin will be so angry and that ugly big jaw will flap like you have never seen.

Ev

Posted at 11:34 AM on October 6, 2010

Is there government assistance involved in this? I really have no objections to people living like hillbillies but I take serious offense when the taxpayer foots the bill…

tshirtdr1

Posted at 12:10 AM on October 11, 2010

I take offense to this comment about “hillbillies.” I know a lot of “hillbillies,” and so far, they can all define marriage within the bounds of the law. They are all able to make a distinction between “wife” and “mistress.” Please choose another derogatory term. Let me assist; kook, nut, zealot. The list goes on.

Lobo

Posted at 8:44 AM on October 6, 2010

There is a huge problem in Utah with this arrangement.Many women are getting welfare, and living off the system, Not sure if they are getting welfare, they seem to have good jobs.

kristen

Posted at 11:46 PM on October 5, 2010

The reason that polygamists practice with many wives and one husband and not the other way around is for protection reasons. In danger, a woman doesn’t normally take care of a man, its the other way around. Its a protection issue. And I believe in the Mormon faith, its encouraged to show that you can take care of your own “kingdom” and the more wives you have, the more you will receive as a reward in heaven, because you’ve “proven” you can handle it. I’m not sure that’s completely correct, but I think its close.

kelly

Posted at 2:28 PM on October 6, 2010

Mormons are gross and weird obviuosly they come to your door to preach garbage like this . Get a life and a new religion weridooos

Nora

Posted at 10:36 AM on October 7, 2010

Listen here Kelly, this IS NOT what the mormon faith believes. The Mormon faith believes in marriage between 1 man and 1 woman.

The FLDS (which is what the Brown’s are) and the LDS (Mormons) are different. Maybe you should do a little research before you make a comment like that.

Have a nice day!

A Mormon

Posted at 10:59 PM on October 8, 2010

Mormons do not currently practice polygamy and they haven’t for over 100 years.
Any members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will be excommunicated from the church if they begin practicing polygamy.

What you are seeing on this show has nothing to do with those who are Mormon.

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 2:11 AM on October 10, 2010

Well, Mormons don’t practice polygamy, but they do believe that it will be part of heaven…..so it isn’t that they have abandoned their ideas. They left it when it became illegal because it is within their religion to follow the law of the land…not because it was no longer a part of the belief system.

fatherdaddy

Posted at 4:07 PM on October 6, 2010

It’s not about protection, or the woman would take more husbands. If a man takes more wives, he has to spread his “protection” around, defeating the purpose. It’s about the inherent sexism of religion, and this religion in particular. Patriarchy is promoted, not matriarchy. Women were (and are) property to these people, not equals.

The more-reward-in-heaven thing is correct, if a bit simplistic. The more wives, the more godlike you will be in the afterlife.

Rebecca

Posted at 10:11 AM on October 15, 2010

wow kristen the mormons do not practice plural wives it is against the law in every state and you should do your homework before you make replies like this they do not call themselves mormons on the show where have you been?

Hello

Posted at 10:24 PM on October 20, 2010

They are not mormons.

Cameron

Posted at 9:12 PM on October 5, 2010

Why is he not in jail? I thought polygamy was illegal in this country? He seems to be flaunting his disdain for the law with this show on television. He does not appear to worry about any consequences for his illegal “marriages”. I wonder why that is? Have the laws changed? Do they not enforce the law in Utah?

kristen

Posted at 11:48 PM on October 5, 2010

It is a law, but it is rarely enforced, since most polygamists are in consentual relationships. People like warren jeffs forced very young women to marry him (often incest) and there was no way to have legal consent.

Jen

Posted at 10:42 AM on October 7, 2010

Yes, Polygamy is still illegal here. From a news story I heard, the state AG here was not going to go after them, but the Lehi Police Department (where they live) is doing an investigation and may prosecute it.

Rebecca

Posted at 10:13 AM on October 15, 2010

i agree but also i do believe the women should also be arrested it is wrong wrong and again wrong for what they are teaching there children

Edith

Posted at 2:46 PM on November 20, 2011

Camron they were in Utah then the law was looking for them so they went to Vegas.And with any luck he will go to jail the women can move home to Utah they still have the house there. and robin can go to hell.she is useless why in the world dont they use birth control?

vanessa

Posted at 8:47 PM on October 4, 2010

ARE THEY CRAZY THIS SHOW HAS LOTS OF PROBLEMS IF I WERE THE GIRLS I WOULD DUMP THE GUY RIGHT AWAY HE IS NOT EVAN THAT ATTRACTIVE EWWWWW

Sophia

Posted at 3:33 PM on October 4, 2010

This show and their lifestyle is totally ridiculous!!! What self respecting woman would want to live this lifestyle?! Kody is nothing but a self-centered male whore, and these 4 women are just down right pitiful! Why would you “share” your husband with all of these other women and feel good about it. You can’t tell me there is no jealousy in the relationships, especially after taking a 4th wife that is younger and nicer looking then the other 3. I really can’t believe living in America that this kind of living arrangement is legal. And just what is this teaching their children? As one of the older girls said in last nights episode, she wants only a monogamous relationship, not the poly lifestyle…very SMART girl!

kelly

Posted at 2:29 PM on October 6, 2010

Sophia,

Well said sister!!!

Edith

Posted at 2:51 PM on November 20, 2011

robin is not nicer looking .her jaw is 5x to big for her face ,she makes faces when she talks ,she is always flapping that jaw and that only makes her even worse looking. hope the kid dont look like her or its going to be 1 ugly baby . it ha s2 strikes aginst it kody isnt that great looking in fact he is going bald in a hurry and always tired .no wonder he has no time for the first 3 wives robin is a whinner and makes excuses why he should be there.

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 2:29 PM on October 4, 2010

Why is Kody getting a 4th wife now?

Mari told him to go for it. She did that with all of the other wives. He wouldn’t have even considered it without her pushing him to try.

How they afford their lifestyle?

More than one of them work. Janelle works 60 hour weeks….he does too occasionally and they do well.

Does Kody have his own bedroom?

No he rotates rooms.

How did they hide their lifestyle?

They live in the area of the country where everyone practices this. The fact that that area practices this is no shock.

Why Don’t Kody’s first 3 wives hate the 4th, Robyn?

They don’t hate her. They were upset that Kody kissed her before they were married.

What is really in it for the wives?

At least two of them come from a poly background and all of the wives agree that they love the freedom, love and friendship provided from such a life.

Did you not watch the show at all?

bonnie fuller

Posted at 3:57 PM on October 4, 2010

of course watched the show and heard what they said but do u take everything people say at face value? It goes against almost EVERY woman’s nature to non-jealously share her husband with three other women AND it’s superexpensive to raise 16 kids even if u work hard. They aren’t exactly Bill and Melinda Gates.

Alli

Posted at 4:13 PM on October 4, 2010

bonnie, for once i completely agree with you. if i were in that situation, i’d a. be crazy jealous of ALL the other wives, b. definitely not be able to support my kids, and c. not be able to hide my lifestyle at all. polygamy, to me, is a ridiculous concept. beneath the surface, i’m pretty darn sure that those women all hate each other. i hope they get in trouble with the law for practicing this.

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 2:02 AM on October 10, 2010

I actually lived in a polygamous family for a while. I was never jealous of the other wife. The only problem for our family was the unaccepted from other people. We were always so happy at home, and then we had to deal with people talking about us and saying all of these weird things like that the husband was doing something wrong. It tore us apart to be so hated for something that brought us joy.

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 2:08 AM on October 10, 2010

was being* unaccepted

tshirtdr1

Posted at 12:16 AM on October 11, 2010

If you were so happy, why did you leave this lifestyle? Outside pressure? I doubt it.

corrine

Posted at 10:26 PM on October 16, 2011

why do you HOPE these people get arrested for this? Are you insane? or just plain mean? They are no more criminals than anyone else. You are like one of those weird medieval women who loves to watch people get burned at the stake. get a life weirdo.

jane

Posted at 10:11 AM on October 7, 2010

85% of societies throughout history have been polygamous.

Just because in OUR society we are not, doesn’t mean that it can’t be a natural condition. When I was pregnant with small children at home, there were times I wished we had another wife – another woman to help out. If the woman was a close friend of mine, and I loved and trusted her, it could be a good situation. The problem with polygamous marriages is the problem with ALL marriages if there is inequality and lack of respect for the woman. Where women are treated badly, monogamous marriage sucks, too.

Bels

Posted at 3:33 PM on October 8, 2010

Wow, this is a scarily ignorant thread, I know there are no Einsteins on the board and the hack journo who wrote this piece of fluff is little better but to parade her ignorance so openly is quite horrifying ‘It goes against almost EVERY woman’s nature to non-jealously share her husband with three other women’?? The poster was correct, I don’t think you watched the show or you would have noticed that jealousy WAS mentioned, the point is, jealousy is not a positive emotion, it is a learned response, not nature, you learn to surpass this negative emotion because the benefits of the lifestyle (to you) outweigh the pangs of jealousy.
Since when has bowing to our baser emotions become a sign of virtue?
Believe me, you don’t speak for me or indeed a growing number of people who realise that they don’t want their lives to be controlled by jealousy and possessiveness. We can live and love with as many people as we want, we can live with more than one person at a time and we can have strong ethical relationships.

Why not get researching and put forward some real facts for a change…how about a poly website? Google it for pity’s sake, you might have mostly teenage readers but you needn’t write like one!!!

kasi

Posted at 7:41 PM on April 18, 2011

ALMOST every women was the defining word in your post. Not ALL, not everyone thinks like you and most other women. There is nothing wrong with the way they believe and we shouldn’t judge them OR tell them how they can and cant live their life. Do you also believe that gays cannot marry? If you do I feel VERY sorry for you.

sarah

Posted at 10:17 PM on October 16, 2011

You go girl!

marcie

Posted at 12:20 PM on October 5, 2010

Haha, you make me LAUGH. “they live in an area of the country where everyone practices this”????

As a long-time resident of Utah, I can tell you this is NOT common behaviour, which is why they haven’t been out in the open. They know people who believe as they do, but your statement from above is far from correct. Please keep your ignorance to a minimum.

Jen

Posted at 10:50 AM on October 7, 2010

Thank you, Marcie! Very well said!

I’m also a long-time resident of Utah, in fact, I was born and raised 5 minutes away from where they live, and I can tell you this IS NOT common Utah behavior.

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 2:05 AM on October 10, 2010

I think it is hilarious that you seem to be totally ignorant of the fact that there is a large community of polygamous between the Utah and Arizona borders. Everyone in their community does. You know this exists, or you are just being completely oblivious.

kristen

Posted at 11:52 PM on October 5, 2010

I love that you posted this. Thanks. If they have three incomes, that’s obviously more than a normal family, and yes they have more kids than a normal family. He works in advertising, which makes be believe he makes pretty dang good money. Plus two of his wives work, and one works long hours (because she likes it).

Just because you don’t like this, and you could never do this (and by you, I mean any woman, not someone inparticular)- doesn’t mean that some people wouldn’t find the companionship of other women, or “sister wives” appealing. I mean, the ability to go to work, and have someone else take care of your kids at no charge sounds good… so does the assurance that if something were to happen to you that you have other people to raise your kids, people they already call mom. If this is what they want to do, good for them. This is America- home of the Free.

Lobo

Posted at 8:41 AM on October 6, 2010

He said on the show that his job and coworkers did not know of his lifestyle. This is not “common” in their area. They are NOT true poly. He is legally married to ONE, “spiritually” married to the others. Basically, he lives with his wife and 3 mistresses. Stupid to me. Too many bodily fluids getting mixed together. UGH

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 2:07 AM on October 10, 2010

They are TRUE poly, just not illegally poly. Just because they have decided to do it in a manner that will not cause them legal strife, doesn’t mean they are not living a polygamous life.

david

Posted at 4:59 AM on October 11, 2010

I really dont like Kody. He is just so slimy in the way he deals with each wife. pair that with wives with low self esteem; he makes the first wife feel like crap for only having one child, then miscarrying the second. He does this by showing how he “loves kids” wants to give her a “gift” of invitro for her 20th anniversary present. wtf is up with this guy?. seriously. why u brainwashing these women to have ur children. only to have him have marry more lady’s and spend even less time with you.

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 11:40 PM on October 11, 2010

Meri said that she always dreamed of having a lot of kids and that she was depressed for a very long time that she couldn’t have more children because she always dreamed she would. He didn’t offer invitro for him; he did it for her.

WatchedTheActualShow

Posted at 2:21 PM on October 12, 2010

Oh, okay. I saw the newest one….
Yeah, he did kind of force that issue after she said no….and even said HE wanted another one, after she didn’t like the idea. I don’t think that was very considerate of him at all. After all the emotions she has had because of it, you would think he would hear her say no to something like that and be more understanding, but instead, pushing it further seems selfish on his part. Maybe he envisioning how happy she would be if it worked…..which yes, if it worked, that would be great….but he should be listening to what she feels now.

ginger

Posted at 12:09 PM on October 18, 2010

Invitro is quite expensive! How can he afford a fancy sportscar, expensive clothes (I know the brands and prices), and obviously he snow skiis alot (you can tell by his suntan/goggle lines)….plus afford the extra 10-20K it costs for IV? I wish them well, and am not judging, but I have three children and find it difficult to give each the attention/love they need, plus my ONE husband. That is dividing (not multiplying) the love and affection.