Posted Mon, January 4, 2010 3:46pm EST 39,129 Article Views

Do Brad & Angelina Want To Turn Shiloh Into A Boy?

Posted Mon, January 4, 2010 3:46pm EST 39,129 Article Views

Brangelina—what are you doing to poor Shiloh Jolie-Pitt?

Your 3 1/2-year-old daughter is getting dressed in boys clothes so often by you that the New York Post even described her today as your “son.” And no wonder. She was photographed in daddy Brad Pitt‘s arms, heading in to the Broadway show, Mary Poppins, on Jan. 3, wearing a boy’s (literally) Burton ski cap and black puffy jacket.

In recent photos she’s been decked out in a fedora, tie, camouflage pants, boy vest, pirate sword, navy knit skull and crossbones hat, black jeans, gray jackets, black and white skull socks and sneakers. Even the stuffed animal she carries is blue.

Never ever is Shiloh dolled up in anything remotely girlish. Her blond hair is hidden under hats or left unbrushed and pushed to the side of her face.

Her sister Zahara Jolie-Pitt, however, is allowed to have her girly touches. HER Mary Poppins hair was pulled into a purple barrette and a pretty bracelets escaped from under the arm of her coat.

And you’re not dressing your little boys like girls!

So Brad and so Angelina—what’s up with the cross-gender dressing for Shiloh? Did YOU both want another boy, not a girl? Maddox and Pax weren’t enough? Aren’t you worried that you’re going to confuse little Shiloh? Give her gender identity issues? Isn’t it hard enough to grow up without your parents dressing you like the opposite sex?

A shrink says yes.

“Angelina has said she was bisexual in public—this is her bisexuality coming through. She’s saying “I’m not going to teach my daughter gender—let her pick, believes psychologist, Dr. David Eigen.

But will it confuse her? “Yes,” says Dr. Eigen. “She is being guided into a bisexual role. Her mother is projecting this onto this particular child—she has chosen her as her favorite. I think this is an issue.” Such an issue that Shiloh is already insisting she be called by a boy’s name, “John.” Brad apparently told Oprah that Shiloh insists on being called “John, I’m John,” he explained, “It’s a Peter Pan thing.”

Peter Pan Thing, my ahem! Brad, does Shiloh even know what the color pink is? Has she even seen it? Why do you let little Shiloh be dressed this way?

“All I can say is that Brad must be whipped if he allows this,” believes Dr. Eigen.

Wow! Brad you’re whipped! Now, come on—time to get up your gumption for the sake of your daughter and let her be a girl, if she wants to be.

–Bonnie Fuller

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Lanoya

Posted at 1:39 AM on June 12, 2011

Wow, where should I even start.. This article is disgustingly ignorant and prejudiced. Guess what? I’m a girl. I’m a very VERY feminine girl, but I wasn’t as a kid. I’d where star wars shirts and sports shirts and run around in mud or playing power rangers. It’s what made me happy. I figure that’s the case with little Shiloh. Would you rather her be unhappy is your preconceived gender role for every cookie cutter child? You know, this shouldn’t even matter, she probably won’t find her gender identity till she’s older anyways.

This article is just shocking in this day and age. Besides the issue of Shiloh, is there something wrong with being bisexual? Or being the dominant one in the relationship as a woman? WTH?

Bloop

Posted at 10:34 AM on June 24, 2013

Amen

RIO

Posted at 10:03 AM on May 25, 2011

I agree with Lee Lee about being offensive

Lee Lee

Posted at 3:20 AM on May 24, 2011

Wow, is Ms. Fuller serious?! Her ignorance is astounding. She suggests in this article that sexual orientation is a choice or at least that such superficial things as attire can affect it. She is writing for Hollywoodlife.com, yet seems to know very little about the people who make up a large demographic in Hollywood.

Learning social norms comes from many other sources besides one’s immediate family. Children are also constantly exposed to traditional female/male roles at school, at the grocery store, in the media, etc. In fact, traditional heterosexual gender roles are the norm, not the exception.

Also, the comment about Brad Pitt being “whipped” and needing to put his woman in check is also very antiquated. Thanks Fuller for attempting to set back women’s liberation as well.

@Meep, I fully agree with you and will never visit this site again either. I live in the 4th largest gay city in the U.S. and found this article to be completely offensive to those who are LBGT.

Please

Posted at 2:43 PM on May 23, 2011

This article is rubbish.

Meep

Posted at 7:59 PM on August 6, 2010

This article is the reason why this was the only and the last time that I will ever visit this site. These websites are paid by the advertisers based on how much time you spend on the site and the frequency. I’ll go back to reading US magazine, People and the like at the drugstore aisle and NOT pay for it. HAHA.

Meep

Posted at 7:53 PM on August 6, 2010

Well put, miss conception. I don’t know which is worse, the cynically Bonnie Fuller, who wrote this bs article just so she can get her readership up or the people who responded agreeing with it. I don’t think Bonnie Fuller believes a single inane word she wrote but those people sure do. Pretty scary that these people can be parents. Those are some ridiculous arguments – what if she wants to be pickle?? How is that even remotely persuasive? Dumb.

Caitlin

Posted at 12:08 AM on July 5, 2010

Oh flipping hell! Really? This has nothing to do with bisexuality and everything to do wirh old fashioned and out of date gender roles. Who cares if Shiloh dresses like a little boy, at her age i’m pretty sure we all went through a stage where we wanted to be something different. I wanted to be boy for alot of my youth because I idolized my big brother and wanted to be just like him. It’s a perfectly normal occurance, I went through it and grew up into a perfectly normal woman, married to a man, and am now the perfect definition of a female with a deep love of pink and dresses.

For everyone out there saying that Angelina is attacking her feminity…society is the one that has defined what feminity and masculinity is, and there is nothing wrong with anyone wanting to challenge those definitions. Last time I checked, it wasn’t earth shattering news that a little girl is playing dress up as a boy. This article is completely insane and the author is the one that needs to get her head checked. There’s nothing deeper to this than a mother allowing her child to be herself and supporting her regardless. This kids 4 for christ sake.

AL

Posted at 12:21 PM on March 25, 2010

hes whip it like whipped cream. how dare angelina pick her favorite out of the 400,999 babies she has.shes going to be a emo bi child that cuts her self just like her mommy used too.
WOW THE CHIDREN SERVICES SHOULD TAKE HER AWAY YES HER.

Deanna

Posted at 5:31 AM on March 17, 2010

Oh, please, no… This is just crazy and twisted. When I was five I wanted everybody to call me Tom (from Tom Sawyer – who was my hero). Now I’m almost fifty, been married (to a man) for many years and have a grown daughter. She doesn’t want to wear high heels, however she is very feminine and sweet, in her jeans and pixie cut hair, as her boyfriend would testify. This article is rubbish.

bradandsuziq

Posted at 3:04 AM on March 14, 2010

You know it really blows my mind, since when does a 3 year old get to make up his/her mind about life period! Where in this sick twisted world do we draw the line about whats right and whats wrong???? What if she decides she wants to be a dog and not wear clothes and be walked around on a leash and called spot is that OK? Yes that is extreme but it is not impossible to imagine. Girls are born girls and boys are born boys period unless you have the remote chance of giving birth to a hermaphrodite then this is a totally different situation, but at 3 I still would not allow my son/daughter to make that choice! I thought a child was a child I guess not in this sick world! If shiloh decides at 12 she wants to have sex with a man or woman is that OK??

kats

Posted at 9:16 PM on March 13, 2010

It is more of a problem nowadays.She will be a Chaz Bono .Just you see. How sad. Is Angelina trying to make sure no one in her family is more beautiful then her? Could be too. Especially in Hollywood life this is a bad thing. Angelina has no morals and is out there. The sexual thing is a loose thing with her,(otherwise the thing with Jennifer wouldn’t have happened).Sorry but all you people without any morals out there are gonna argue with me. What’s neLiberals gone wild. Anyway.Unlike with reagular people..SOMETIMES,when dressing in pants/t-shirts cimbing a tree long ago might’ve been safe. BUT it has gor out of hand and does not stay a TOM BOY thing. It is worse. It’s an excuse for what is about to come if it is not now and then. Mark my words all you naive moms out there. I have 3 adult kids now. I have been fortunate to not get any issues in that area.

Princess

Posted at 9:26 AM on March 17, 2010

Are you out of your ridiculous mind? You’re saying that Angelina has no morals? She may be liberal in her own lifestyle (which is her choice and has absolutely nothing to do with the public), but she is one of the only celebrities actually doing anything for the people. One of the few celebrities who doesn’t give back to communities (Afghanistan school for girls, helping Haiti) without expecting a photo-op. Get out of your high-horse and do something for the community at large before commenting on someone’s morals!

Additionally, Brad Pitt left Jennifer Aniston out of his own volition, its such a shame when a third party is always blamed for the problems of a seemingly ‘happily-married’ couple. Do you know exactly what went on behind their closed door? How do you know that they didn’t sleep in separate bedrooms for years? The only reason that people blame Angelina is because she’s not shy about her sexuality whereas Jennifer Aniston is more conservative.

As for Shiloh, when I was a kid I hated being a girl, and wanted so badly to be a boy (long into my teenage years). I am now ecstatic about my femininity and in love with a wonderful man.

I suggest you think before you judge, not only celebrities, but people in general.

Lila

Posted at 11:50 PM on March 17, 2010

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here. Consciously or sub-consciously, Angelina is attacking Shiloh’s femininity. I thought previously that it was to show the world how “progressive” she thinks she is but in reality, it may well be that she wants to prevent Shiloh from achieving any fame for beauty. I’m thinking Chastity Bono when I look at this poor child. I hope she retains a decent counselor before she grows old enough to go off the rails, because otherwise, I guarantee these identity issues will drive her to that someday. Mark my words. Poor child. She needs to be taught how to be a woman, not encouraged to act like a boy. Very bad parenting – and I have no qualms making that call.

Raindance

Posted at 10:08 PM on March 7, 2010

You people are WRONG! Angelina is a good mother! She is not pushing her daughter to be this way, she is simply sending her the message that she is loved unconditionally and that she is not going to be punished for expressing herself. AND THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE! you people should be ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! I imagine YOUR children probably don’t tell you ANYTHING! they are probably afraid to. I had a friend in high school with parents like you, now he is DEAD! he killed himself because his parents could not accept him, they made him feel like he was some kind of monster just for being different. She is 3 years old! she is just trying to be an individual, I used to “change my name” all the time as a kid. She will probably grow out of it but in the mean time she needs to be loved and supported unconditionally. You people shouldn’t even be allowed to write articles, shouldn’t you be standing in front of a planned parenthood somewhere?

Lila

Posted at 11:59 PM on March 17, 2010

You can still tell someone they’re loved for who they are and affirm their gender! She is a girl. *newsflash* She always will be a girl. “Chaz” Bono is still a girl, despite whatever shenanigans she pulls to prove the contrary. Loving Shiloh unconditionally means accepting and affirming that she was…born…female and that’s who she is. Grab a brain.

——————–

“What if she wants to be a boy?”

What if she wants to be a pickle? What if she wants to be a thief? What if she only wants to eat ice cream all day? What if she never wants to wash her clothes? What if she wants to be someone who cusses out old ladies and runs around naked 24/7? What if…what if… She’s female, folks. They shouldn’t teach her otherwise.

I weep for future generations.

“Common Sense”: so rare it’s almost a superpower

reagan

Posted at 12:53 PM on December 11, 2010

what the heck are you talking about ANGELINA IS NOT LETTING SHILOH DECIDE WHO SHE WANTS TO BE IF ALL SHILOH GETS TO DO IS ACT LIKE A BOY i feel sorry for the kid. SHILOH IS A TOMBOY AND ANGELINA HAS BLOWN THIS OUT OF POPORTION INTO A WHOLE SEXUALITY AADULT CONVERSATION….this is a child we are talking about and she nees to be who she is. alot of girls go through the i wanna be a boy phas, but thats not always whats best for us. God made her a girl and thats that …the fact that shiloh insist to be called John is strongly influenced by angelinas bad parenting.

Why does her other daughter get to have the honor of being a girl who by the way hollywood IS WHO SHILOH IS… A GIRL.

thhis is twisted where do we draw the lines on being who we want to be and being who we are not which leads to a very unspoken yet unconfertable future. Why is Brad letting his relation ship with his sweet little girl be made into a father and son relationship.

shes missing out on a lot of things every little girl has the God-given right to experince.

AND ITS ALL HER PARENTS FAULT!!!!!

j

Posted at 10:33 PM on March 6, 2010

what if she wants to be a boy? maybe they’re just letting be the boy she wants to be.

reagan

Posted at 12:59 PM on December 11, 2010

thats whats wrong with the parents today kids cant always do what the f*** the want. They are teaching her a lie … shes a girl, what if she wants to be a murder …. they are confusing want with who this child is…a girl.

Anna

Posted at 1:41 PM on March 5, 2010

As if Bonnie doesn’t look like a tranny.

Sarah

Posted at 3:53 PM on March 1, 2010

Please look to the first sentence in your article and take note that she is 3 years old!

Jen DC

Posted at 12:11 AM on March 1, 2010

Are you as stupid as this “article” makes you sound? Maybe Shiloh dresses in boys clothes because she recognizes that they hide dirt better, which was the driving force behind my own prevalence for camo, and the brown, orange and puke green materials so popular for boys in the ’70s and early ’80s. And I’m from Alabama, where all the cute little girls wear clothes with big flowers and ginormous stupid bows in their hair!

Listen, she’s a toddler and some battles just aren’t worth fighting. For one, the clothes battle. If they are going somewhere nice and it’s appropriate for her to wear a frilly dress, that’s the time to insist. Otherwise, as long as the clothes are clean, functional and warm enough, let that li’l rich girl wear what she wants! And how dare you complain about the fact that when she had long hair, they didn’t even comb it in the same breath as you criticize the short new ‘do! MAKE UP YOUR MIND! Or, better yet, HAVE YOUR OWN RICH HOLLYWOOD BABY!

Sophie

Posted at 3:49 PM on February 28, 2010

Bonnie Fuller is incredibly off-base and out-of-line. (And her resident “expert,” Dr. Eigen, is ignorant and borderline incoherent on his personal website, http://www.davideigen.com/ –check out his Fem-A-Meter and Man-O-Meter, please.)

If Zahara is “allowed to have girly touches,” what evidence do we have that Shiloh is being dressed any differently from the way she WANTS to dress?

You can read my thoughts here:

lulu

Posted at 1:16 PM on February 28, 2010

This is Crazy!!!
Just because she doesn’t wear pink now she’s gonna be gender confused?? I’ve been working with kids for many years, and a 3 year old does know colors and can choose on their own what they would like to wear. If she likes jeans instead of a dress who the hell cares?
I was a tomboy as far as i can remember and now I’m about to have my first child, a girl, wish I would not only, not encourage, but to shove pink down her throat just because she is a girl!!
That is rediculous

reagan

Posted at 1:04 PM on December 11, 2010

i agree but her mom is trying to force the sexuality mess on her

JJ

Posted at 11:06 AM on February 28, 2010

This article is disgusting. And factually incorrect.
Shiloh is just a tomboy! I was a tomboy like her and was never confused about my gender or sexuality. I just liked boys clothes because i liked playing outside and playing boys’ games.
The fact that Zahara wears girly clothes just shows that the Jolie-Pitts allow their children to wear the clothes they feel comfortable in.
Furthermore I am a psychologist undergrad and I can confirm that in no way is gender identity and bisexuality interlinked; therefore saying Jolie is “projecting” her bisexuality onto her 3 yr old and making her into a boy is just nonsense.
I suggest ‘journalist’ Bonnie Fuller should do her research properly and not quote psychologists who are using stuck in 1972 and embrace Shiloh’s independence of mind.

reagan

Posted at 1:24 PM on December 11, 2010

its not nonsense …i believe that shiloh is a tomboy cause i was on just like her.. but jollie saidd she was bisexual… Jolie is trying to shove a “your a boy” lie down the poor little tom boy’s throat. and no pink shouldnt be forced on the child but is should be shown on her every once and a while to inforce the girl that she is.

Nik

Posted at 11:04 AM on February 28, 2010

Have you ever considered the fact that is how the child prefers to dress?

Have you further considered that there are more options than feminine women who like pink and masculine men who like blue?

Additionally, one’s sexuality has nothing to do with one’s gender identity. Who one forms sexual and emotional relationships is absolutely separate from how one presents, feels and identifies.

Just because you got someone with a “Dr” in front of their name to source as an expert for you does not make them any kind of expert.

Your article is the worst king of misanthropic arbitrary gender stereotyping, drawing lines in sand as to what .you. think informs what and who is a boy and what and who is a girl. Fail.

Mary Mactavish

Posted at 11:45 PM on February 27, 2010

Why should they be dressing kids who are old enough to pick their own socially-appropriate clothing? The kids aren’t going out in thong underpants and pasties, or Hitler costumes. They’re just kids. Sheesh, folks, grow out of thinking your kids are your Barbies.

Justin

Posted at 9:49 PM on February 27, 2010

This article was horrible. WHO CARES IF SHE IS GENDER CONFUSED. The author should be fired.

reagan

Posted at 1:28 PM on December 11, 2010

The author is horrible yet you dont even care if the child is gender confused.Your horrible im trying do defend a child who has to grow up in this messed up world

Cloe

Posted at 6:04 PM on February 27, 2010

Oh my goodness. This article is completely rediculous. There is NOTHING WRONG with being a tomboy. It’s a phase that several children go through. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with your sexuality. Plus the fact that the kid is only three years old. She doesn’t even know what sexuality is for crying out loud! I’m very sure that Shiloh prefers the clothes she wears to pink frills, like most little girls. I would know. I was a tomboy when I was little and I there was no gender confusion or anything of the kind. You keep doing what want, Shiloh. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be who you are.

lunebleueetpomm

Posted at 12:03 PM on January 29, 2010

Dear Bonnie,
I’m a girl and I didn’t get to wear frilly girl’s clothes when I was young. I only wore what was handed down to me from my brother – so yeah, I wear boys’ socks when I was a baby…! I turned out fine. I didn’t grow up confused and all…Nor did I have any “gender identity” issue… You rich **** have nothing better to do huh?

moralitypolice

Posted at 7:02 PM on January 13, 2010

dlady: “vacuuos” and “drivvel”?? You must be either a twelve year old girl or a virtual illiterate. Either way, your opinion does not mean much. Please post again when you learn how to spell.

serenityfoundhere: You define a good parent based on “their capacity to love, nurture and support their children.” I agree. I just wonder how much loving and nurturing Angie is able to do from a movie set.

Essie

Posted at 11:35 PM on March 4, 2010

About as much nurturing as any working mother can give to her child. What a stupid thing to say. You have just insulted every working mother in the world.

Nancy

Posted at 5:11 PM on August 22, 2010

It’s best she gets it out the way now being a ‘boy’. that way it will be no big thing in the future. I’m gay and don’t agree that this child be made to dress this was, it seems deliberate by the parents…maybe they want the attention they knew they would get. I think Chastity Bono is a prime example of someone who has clearly lost the plot.