Shocking celebrity splits and divorces are trending across Tinsletown, but why are so many celebrities separating in secret?
Celebrity marriages are unfortunately not known for their longevity, but it still comes as a shock when seemingly perfect couples all of a sudden call it quits. The latest “splitsville” news comes from the gorgeous Tron: Legacy starlet Olivia Wilde, who just announced her separation from husband of eight years, Tao Ruspoli Tuesday morning.
The usually quiet couple has remained mum about the details of their split, but sources say that they haven’t been living together for quite some time. It’s become more and more common in recent celebrity splits, for couples to be secretly living apart from one another when they try and work through their issues. Why have these secret separations become more of a trend?
Why they do It:
We asked Los Angeles based, celebrity image consultant Michael Sands why celebrities feel the need to keep their separations a secret and he told us,”They do it because they think they’re being smart and savvy. They feel like they didn’t make it and they’re going to be open to ridicule. Sometimes these relationships or marriages are short and they don’t want the bad press. By not saying anything, they get no press. Then they don’t have problems.”
Why it’s wrong:
Keeping your skeletons in the closet doesn’t make them disappear, which is probably why most celebrities who go on a secret hiatus end up still getting divorced. We admire the valiant last attempt to save their marriage, but don’t think its healthy for any relationship to sweep the problems under the rug for the sake of saving face.
We asked celebrity publicist Melissa Berger what she thought the best way of handling a split was and she told us, “In the media world, nothing can be kept secret for too long. You might as well release a statement when you’re ready and then let it be. You don’t’ want to lie on the red carpet. As a publicist, it’s my job to control what people are thinking and reading. By giving them accurate statements, it takes the mystery out of the story and gives tasteful insight.”
- Olivia Wilde and Tao Ruspoli: The beautiful couple eloped six months after they met when Olivia was only 18-years-old! Their marriage lasted for eight years and sources say they tried hard to work it out before they called it quits. Olivia is really hitting the stride on her career, maybe her burgeoning stardom was too much strain on their relationship.
- Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds: This too hot to handle couple amicably ended their marriage after two years together. They were notoriously private when married, but sources believe they were living apart before they announced their separation.
- Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman: No one saw the split between the musically blessed couple coming, but Christina says she left her marriage of five years because their relationship was unhealthy and unhappy. Rumors are that she cheated on him, which may explain her quick rebound with boyfriend Matthew Rutler. Sources say that the couple separated and were living apart before they filed for divorce.
- David Arquette and Courteney Cox: They seemed so in love and were married for 11 years, but last fall the couple announced that they had been on a trial separation for quite some time. So much so, David went on the Howard Stern Show and talked about already being with another woman. We hope that David pulls his act together and the couple can mend their fences for their daughter’s sake.
- Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter: The co-staring couple surprisingly called it quits last winter after two years of marriage. They admitted that they had been separated for a while. Dexter fans were devastated because the couple had just gotten through his battle with cancer and everyone wonders how their divorce will affect the show.
- Rachel Weisz and Darren Aronofsky: Rachel Weisz was married to Darren Aronofsky for nine years, but when their publicist announced their divorce it was revealed the couple had been separated for a couple of months.
- Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes: The Oscar winning couple filed for divorce six years after marriage, and when they filed it was announced they had been separated for a few months. Their split came after they worked together on the film, Revolutionary Road which is about a turbulent marriage.
What do YOU think? Is it better for celebrities to be open about their separations, or should they keep them private?