Posted Thu, September 9, 2010 3:17pm EDT

KIRSTIN SAYS: Not Only Is Charice ‘The Most Talented Girl In The World,’ She’s Also The Shyest!

Posted Thu, September 9, 2010 3:17pm EDT

At Tuesday night’s Glee premiere and afterparty, the 18-year-old singer spent most of the night with her family and close friends – and seemed nervous around everyone else!

I know how much you all love Charice, and after hearing hear rendition of “Listen” from Dreamgirls at the Glee premiere Sept. 7, I’m right there with you! That said, given how popular the 18-year-old international superstar is, I was surprised by how shy and quiet she is for a girl with such a huge voice!

As we walked onto the Paramount Studios lawn for the premiere afterparty, guests clamored to chat with the show’s stars. Even though she was deemed “the most talented girl in the world” by Oprah, Charice seemed unsure of herself and super shy, sticking close to her family and friends for most of the party.

But despite her shyness, Charice was the most approachable celebrity there. When I approached her for a photo she cheerfully agreed, “Of course!” and even waited while we got the camera to work. TOTALLY not a diva!

“You barely come up to my chin!” I said, bending down to be closer to this little 4’11” peanut. She laughed and nodded her head. When my group and I told the pint-sized Filipina actress she was a standout in the premiere episode, she flashed a big smile and said, “Thank you so much!” appreciatively.

Charice continued to wave and smile at us for the rest of the night — as though SHE was the one who was honored to meet us, notthe other way around.

I loved meeting (and supporting) this incredibly talented and down-to-earth celebrity. But now I have one request: Charice, please stay humble…it’s really so refreshing to meet someone without attitude in Hollywood!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

lauren

Posted at 6:12 PM on September 10, 2010

I love the picture of the two of you! Charice seems so sweet. I wish her much success especially after hearing her story.

Zee

Posted at 4:00 PM on September 10, 2010

Kirstin, the picture of Charice singing in her pink top with the big screen behind her. Take a look. she sang this live for the first time from her album, All That I Need To Survive. I’d she was looking at her mom when she was singing this. I’m waiting for her to sing more of her songs from her album. I hope it’s not to far from now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04orLQjMEsw – Charice – All That I Need To Survive.

Dan

Posted at 2:45 PM on September 10, 2010

I really don’t understand why there are haters of this girl…I’ve been to sites where certain posters are just so vile when writing about her. They say that she’s a ‘liar’ and that all her experiences growing up are ‘made up’ by Oprah, etc.

It just saddens me to think that she has haters at all! Yes, I know it could be just jealousy or envy and there are always going to be haters no matter how nice we are or how good we treat people…there will always be devils to angels, but still – I am sad about it.

carvin

Posted at 3:42 PM on September 10, 2010

one thing that this haters can do is to go to youtube an dlook for all her videos her interviews prior to OPrah guestings and they wll find out. we have a saying in the philippines that say if a tree is so fruitful people tend to stone it to take part of it. and this is whats happening.

Anj

Posted at 7:26 PM on September 10, 2010

Let there be haters. Charice has said numerous times in interviews that the haters serve as her inspiration and motivation to work hard so as to prove them wrong. Besides, if they’re haters, then it’s their loss, not Charice’s :)

Pathetic digs

Posted at 7:55 PM on September 10, 2010

There are haters on everyone, ask Kate she helps to start it.

MarinaDelRey

Posted at 2:14 PM on September 10, 2010

More than decade ago Friends was the hottest show on TV, now its GLEE. For reference my breakfast used to be coffee with LA & NY Times, Wall Street Journal; now its Tea, laptop on Twitter, Huffington post, PerezHilton and KIRSTIN BENSON of Hollywood life w/pyramid music on hahaha! Thanks Ms. USC deanslister for your out of the box kind of writing and attitude. You and Charice has something in common, a passionate, driven personality. Your meeting is not an accident it might be a beginning of a friendship in hollywood. Just sayin’ goodluck to you both! & Have a great weekend all!

chieko

Posted at 1:57 PM on September 10, 2010

seen charice performing live-in tokyo goosebumps all over…
she’s soooo good,i’m a big fan now.

carvin

Posted at 2:20 PM on September 10, 2010

i havent seen her tokyo performance yet. let me check that out. thanks!

Hot4KB

Posted at 1:07 PM on September 10, 2010

Hey Kirstin, try this when you see Charice again. Tell her you want to take a picture with her with your camera. Bring it out and pretend that you don’t know how it works. Tell her that you want to have a close up picture of both of you.
I betcha that she will do this…..
Get the camera from you and she will fix or set it up (she’s a techno-freak). She will take a picture of both of you with her holding the camera up close to get a shot! And for compliments she will hug you and thank you!!!!
Now that’s a real DIVA in my book!!!!
I’ve seen it countless times in You Tube!!

v

Posted at 1:34 AM on September 11, 2010

I read about that. Its from the grammy block party. Charice was walking to her car surrounded by her handler and bodyguards. A fan walk up to her asking for a picture. The handler said that, sorry she dont have the time cuz they have to go to another event. Charice said its okay, the fan was so nervous that she said that she dont knw how to take a pic from her phone. Charice took the phone and took the picture herself and she waited to see if the pic came out ok before giving it back to the fan.

AnthonyA

Posted at 12:34 PM on September 10, 2010

This girl has awed and mesmerized me with her performances but she has moved and inspired me with her actions. Knowing personally the difficulties faced by young children overcoming adversity and poverty, she has personally sponsored Seven (7) children through world vision and actively promotes and donates time to them (not just money) She also is a youth ambassador to Operation Smile. Also supports Olivia Newton Johns Cancer foundation. Because of her, I’ve been moved and inspired to support a child (and maybe soon to be 2) in poverty myself. Despite this hectic tour schedule and now Glee, she is actively pursuing her dreams of becoming an entertainment lawyer and signed up for classes as a freshman in college this fall. What a wonderful role model. In times where you hear so much sex and scandal in the news, she is quite refreshing.

misfitsettler

Posted at 12:18 PM on September 10, 2010

darn! because of this article i’m beginning to like charice… duh! will somebody tell that pint-sized filipina actress singer celebrity that my friend is totally addicted to her!!! she said it is called chaddiction or charice addiction… watduh… like beiber fever???

ChrisJSS

Posted at 3:18 PM on September 10, 2010

haha no worries misfitsettler. there are only few celebrities out there nowadays who deserves admiration like Charice does. So there is absolutely nothing wrong appreciating a talent like Charice. She is the real deal, she can go toe to toe with all the divas of today, yesterday and tomorrow, that voice is miraculous! And people love her all for the right reasons – her undeniable talent, her story, her work ethic and most of all, her sincerity towards her fans and people in general. And yes, it is called ‘chaddiction’ by her fans because once you get hooked on her, you simply can’t have enough of her serenading you till the wee hours of the night.

Anthony

Posted at 12:02 PM on September 10, 2010

Charice loves and appreciates her fans…She refers to them as her “friends” and this appreciation is manifested by her actions either on stage or backstage. I love Charice and I know she is a certified Super Star because of her inner qualities combined with her gigantic talent! I can’t wait what’s ahead for this little girl with a big voice and a big heart!

gllllleeeekkkk!

Posted at 11:20 AM on September 10, 2010

I love reading these comments. Charice’s fans are just like her – Kind, gracious, appreciative, and positive. Charice is special and her fans are too! Love this story and I cannot wait for more GLEE!

Hot4KB

Posted at 10:39 AM on September 10, 2010

So refreshing to find a girl totally different from your typical “drug/sex driven hollywood youngsters”. She projects a humble, focused, loving, so adorable, approachable, inspiring, down-to-earth, God-fearing personality. Remember she came from a poor family and was lambasted constantly that she is not pretty and will never be a star. I read that she was relegated to 3rd place 4 years ago in a singing competition because she was not pretty and does not have star-quality. Wow! You can’t help but just adore her. Oh how I wish my kids are like her. So loving and respectful to her fans.
On the side note…Kirstin I think your pretty!

UBOB123

Posted at 10:33 AM on September 10, 2010

This girl Charice I admire and I dont know why I keep tracking her. Her fans called Chaster, as if she became a symbol, an insperation from a simple girl. LAst year she became not only a famous artist in the Philippines but a “Person of the year.” surpasing former fredom of decmocray, Former President LAte Cory Aguino and no.1 world boxing pound for pound Manny Pacquiao. Some or most of Charice fans feels she has something beyond.

justcharrie

Posted at 7:43 AM on September 10, 2010

Thanks Kirsten for a follow-up story of your experience with Charice. I’m an avid fan and her humility is one of her traits that I truly admire. She’s very lovable and everyone who’s gotten a chance of meeting her can attest to that. I’m sure she won’t change coz she was brought up that way. She’s just so beautiful inside out.

Alex

Posted at 7:21 AM on September 10, 2010

I love Charice and I love your article, although you kept pokin fun at her shortness lol. glad you had a great experience with her. She is soo humble and so sweet to her fans. without a doubt the most talented girl in the world.

will be looking forward to seeing you write more articles about Charice. just read your article on Lea too, what a contrast hahah

Stop

Posted at 8:02 PM on September 10, 2010

did you read the parts that would contradicted and shown to be untrue. Many fans did spend time with Lea that night and the body guards were just security. This site has decided to go after Lea. Don’t believe everything you read here cause they either flat out lie or exaggerate things.

There was no reason to even link this story to the other one except to be petty. That is a real bitch move..

Rose

Posted at 6:25 AM on September 10, 2010

I looove Charice! She’s such a sweet girl & someone who genuinely likes singing. Saw some of her candid videos & she is so accommodating to her fans.

Ram

Posted at 6:12 AM on September 10, 2010

Wonderful article to start my busy office hours. Good Vibes. Listening to her album now.

Hailey

Posted at 5:36 AM on September 10, 2010

aww that’s so nice of Charice!!! She seems to follow what Oprah advises her.. “Keep your feet on the ground even though you’re wearing a nice pair of shoes” (2009, Oprah)

A

Posted at 5:35 AM on September 10, 2010

having witnessed ur mum being nearly murdered by ur dad at a very young age, having to flee an abusive situation, and having to sing for shelter and food (winning a singing competition meant the difference between going hungry for days or having something to eat at that moment), will certainly give u a different perspective in life than those that have lived their lives without worrying if they are gonna survive the next day.

add to that the comments about her face (she wasnt pretty enough) and her figure (she’s too short) she constantly received from other people, and u have a young lady that has grown up amidst adversity and challenges and overcome them SPECTACULARLY.

thanks kirsten for sharing ur experience with charice. she is one-of-a-kind. there is no one like her, and no one that will be like her. this child has gone through fire to become what she is now, tempered by her experiences.

i have spent some time with both her and her mum and i believe as long as she remembers who she is and where she came from, and as she continues to be grateful for everything that God gives her, she will be the same quiet, humble, magnetic personality that she is.

bette

Posted at 5:16 AM on September 10, 2010

She is truly special considering all her achievements and recognitions, she stays humble and easy to deal with. Honestly, the experiences of some leading Glee cast members combine is not even enough to surpass Charices experiences. And one thing that separate her from other artists, Charice always finds time to communicate or get in touched with her fans even if she have hectics schedules.

dir23

Posted at 3:26 AM on September 10, 2010

Charice will stay humble as she is being guided by her Mom. Likewise being in Hollywood is a big thing for a filipino thats why there’s this shyness and kinda amazing feeling.

cyclone

Posted at 2:34 AM on September 10, 2010

love it KIRSTIN… Thank you so much! :)

carvin

Posted at 1:32 AM on September 10, 2010

– FOr sure, one time in this grammy rock party(im not sure) a fan wanted to take photos of her but wasnt allowed for strict reasons, CHarice took the camera from the fan and took a picture of herself and gave it back to that fan. isnt it amazing? how many superstars do it now a days? thats why i love her LABYO!

epic

Posted at 1:29 AM on September 10, 2010

she’s very nice,she did even record the song “angel” for a fan who’s mom just passed away..do other singers do that?

Audrey

Posted at 1:28 AM on September 10, 2010

Absolutely co-sign! First learned about her in one of David Foster’s concerts and she’s totally adorable. She’s been through a lot and I think she is what she is now because of her upbringing and humble roots. She’s been criticized because of her physical looks. People say she’s not pretty enough. But she’s a beautiful, beautiful person. Completely refreshing and so un-Hollywood. I really hope she stays that way. Well done, Kirstin! :)

vampiregoestomysticfalls

Posted at 1:16 AM on September 10, 2010

i fell in love with this girl when i watched her “the climb” version,oh my she was playing the piano and she was very funny,charming girl..,watching her youtube videos will reveal her real personality and i must say she’s not a quite shy type of girl she’s very talkative indeed. lol love this girl!