Could the artist best known as Bella in ’Twilight’get Oscar acclaim for her prostitute role in ‘Rileys?’
Here’s the bad news: The critics are pretty lukewarm about Welcome to the Rileys. “Gloomy,” “creaky,” “embalmed” — just a small sample of the critical reaction.
But here’s the totally awesome news: Kristen Stewart is getting incredible praise for playing Mallory, a troubled young woman who turns to prostitution. Some of the nation’s toughest critics are drooling:
- “She’s an exceptionally appealing screen presence, and she makes Mallory’s confusion — the swings between vulgar braggadocio and clutching vulnerability — reverberant and real. ” Manohla Dargis, NY Times
- “She just gets better at bringing a naked vulnerability to her performances. Here it’s like watching a slide show of anger, pain, innocence, outrage and mischief play across her face.” Betsey Sharkey, Los Angeles Times
- “As usual, she’s just there, but I can’t think of another young actress who makes her there-ness work so well.” Ty Burr, Boston Globe
- “The Twilight Saga Stewart should deliver a curious audience — and she certainly satisfies that curiosity.” Dan Kois, Village Voice
- “Stewart is the perfect wretch, utterly convincing as a lost girl leveraging her sexuality to compensate for her complete powerlessness.” Peter Debruge, Variety
And maybe most impressive of all — the often acerbic Lou Lumenick of the New York Post thinks K-Stew’s performance is “awards-caliber” and “haunting.