Posted Mon, August 23, 2010 8:59am EDT

Bonnie Says: Kate Gosselin — Your New Wardrobe Looks Tarty! Isn't This Too Racy For A Mom?

Posted Mon, August 23, 2010 8:59am EDT

Here’s the question – when we give birth or adopt, do we also take on an obligation to dress with more decorum than before we had little ones who should be looking up to us as role models?

And does that mean we ditch the minis, short shorts, halter-tops and heels? Are plunging necklines still OK, but only for a night out on the town?

These are questions I can’t help ponder when I look at Kate Gosselin’s latest get-ups. It’s not that the individual fashion items are objectionable on their own, but it’s the combination – high heels plus loads of leg, lots of bare skin on top and then long, bleached blonde hair. It all adds up to a look that just doesn’t reassuringly say “mom,” especially for a woman who sets herself up as a role model for other moms.

She’s not just the star of Kate Plus 8, she’s also the author of advice-giving books, Multiple Blessings: Surviving to Thriving with Twins and Sextuplets, Eight Little Faces: A Mom’s Journey and I Just Want You To Know: Letters to My Kids on Love, Faith and Family.

Furthermore her new TLC show, A Twist of Kate, has Kate traveling the country giving help and mommy advice to families.

So one of the country’s most infamous moms has decided it’s OK to be a role model and go shopping with her kids for back-to-school clothes, in short, tight, skin-baring looks.

But maybe I’m being a big prude.

“She’s sending a message out loud and clear that she’s available,” points out Suze Yalof Schwartz, fashion and beauty expert and Today Show regular. “Do I think it’s chic? Absolutely not. But do I think it’s appealing to many men? YES! She’s not dressing for her kids. She knows she’s being photographed and this is better than Match.com. It’s the ultimate profile.”

Yalof doesn’t think Kate is actually being overtly sexual, but she is trying to be fashionable and just isn’t quite getting it right.

“She’s wearing all the big trends – animal prints, satin and leather low cut boots/shoes, but it’s just too much,” Yalof says. “Tight, tight shorts and high heels – just doesn’t do it.”

On the other hand, Yalof applauds Kate as a mom of eight for not just wearing scrubs all day.

“It’s amazing, she’s putting in the effort – it’s better than wearing elasticized pants, baggy t-shirts and flip flops.”

OK, those are all good points. However Joanna Douglas, fashion and beauty editor of Shine.com disagrees to a degree.

“It would be fine for her to dress like this if she was going out at night with friends,” Douglas says. “She’s 35, she’s got a great body and is in good shape but no kids want to get an eyeload of their moms cleavage. … Going out with her kids in the middle of the day like this, just makes her seem attention-hungry.”

Or is she just not being practical? That’s the concern of Susan Crenek GLAMOUR.com’s executive online editor for fashion and beauty. “It’s very difficult to run after and take care of a kid (much less eight) when you’re worried about necklines dipping into scandalous territory,” she says.

So what do you think – am I being too harsh to expect Kate to dress in a way that won’t provoke the eww factor from her kids? She has said she’s lonely, and what single mom with the burden of raising eight kids wouldn’t be? She has a right to long for a love partner again. Hey, she’s 35! But are tight, short clothes the right way to telegraph it? Or is Kate right to throw her hands up at me and any other critics and just dress the way she wants – mommy-appropriate or not?

Let me know what you think!

— Bonnie Fuller

JDR611

Posted at 1:06 PM on August 25, 2010

Glad you old bats aren’t my mom. Im 40 and I could wear this to the office. They would love it verses my jeans and t-shirt w gym shoes in the office. You should see what the boss is wearing to day and she is even older than me. And she is looking great even though she is bigger than kate.

The animal prints are rough for me but if it fit her better it would look better.

Barbara

Posted at 4:02 PM on August 25, 2010

I’m glad I’m not your mother, as well! Not that I would give my 40-year-old child fashion advice, but the embarassment factor! Yikes!

sugardaisy

Posted at 12:54 PM on August 25, 2010

Well said Cali girl….AND to you people who write a 1000 word essay, nobody is gonna read all that AND you really need to get a life!

Tammy

Posted at 11:35 AM on August 26, 2010

Sorry “sugardaisy”, I had no idea my writing would upset people who don’t know how to read. Does big words hurt your head? Take a pill! I have a life. A life that doesn’t consist of cutting people apart. I am not that miserable of a person. I’m sorry you can’t share that joy. =) Have a GREAT day. I hope I didn’t write too much for you.

sugardaisy

Posted at 12:52 PM on August 25, 2010

Yeah, she looks tacky, like she thinks she looks hot but really she just looks like a 40-something going thru a mid life crisis. (I know she is 35 but she looks older)

renee

Posted at 12:45 PM on August 25, 2010

wow, she is wearing a zebra print camisole, leather shorts, black heels to pick up her kids FROM SCHOOL?!! looks like she is heading out to nearest S&M club…

andi

Posted at 1:58 PM on August 25, 2010

haha! good one! :P

Brian

Posted at 12:24 PM on August 25, 2010

I agree with you, Tammy. I have the “don’t like it, don’t look” policy. Kate has one of those extreme personalities that the people are either going to love or going to hate. I think there is entirely too much time spent by people picking celbrities apart. All the same people who spend thier day picking apart people on the internet, I can honestly tell you have not picked up a mirror lately. How does that saying go,”He who lives in glass houses throwing the first stone…”. Point being, if we had a chance to look into all you miserable people picking this poor LADY apart, what would WE see? Maybe a FAT man/lady living in their mommy’s basement with no job or the overweight housewife stuffing her face with a family size bag a chips before her hubby comes home from work and tells him, it must be my thyroid, or that miserable- borderline ugly woman who can’t keep a husband because the only joy she finds is picking apart other people – other people’s tragedies and pain is what makes their day, or maybe we would see worse. I think celebrities should have the right to visit with everyone who says something nasty about them on the internet and should be given the opportunity to return the favor. They should be able to splash that persons dirt on the internet. We all have flaws, go through tragedies, make bad decisions, and have the occasional issue. Its what makes us human. Just because you are a celebrity, it doesn’t change your biological make-up to something magical. It actually is inspirational to see the human side of them. Too often kids do harm to themselves because they have a false image of these people. I think if they could see that they are just like you and I, the kids wouldn’t spend so much time focussing on “being” a false image and when it can’t be achieved because its NOT real, do harm to themselves (or God forbid worse). I’m a parent of 3 and my middle daughter who is 14, is a size -0-. Yes you saw it correctly, ZERO, and she will look at her posters of these celebrities who have been airbrushed to look like that, will sit in front of the mirror picking herself apart, calling herself fat because her stomach doesn’t do what their stomachs do. I can’t get through to her that this isn’t real and that her size is in essence “nothing” because she is so skinny. So in my opinion, as a parent, its good to see the “real” side of these celebs – The good, the bad, and even the “ugly”. I think she is a shining example to every woman what a real divorced “LADY” / Mom goes through when recovering from a painful divorce. There is nothing abnormal or improper with what she wears or does. As long as she is still being a good mom to those kids, which she is, then it is no one elses business what she wears. All these insults I read reminds me of a country song I heard by Brad Paisley called, “online”. People pull out a mirror and address your own flaws. Like my mom use to always say (and it is so true no matter how old you are), if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it all.

Tammy

Posted at 11:50 AM on August 25, 2010

Ok everybody, I see your point. But what alot of people lose sight of with celebrities is, they are still human. Yes, she is a mom just like Jon’s the dad. But she is still a woman with needs and desire and that doesn’t change because she is a mom. For years, Kate has set an exemplatory example of a good mom. We all know this is a phase, a common one for newly divorced people. I study psychology and I can tell you her actions are not abnormal. People who are recently divorced, do go through an internal battle of trying to recover their youth. Esspecially when you spent that part of your life being a mom instead of exploring who you are. She is probably at the stage where she is ready to move on and this is part of the healing process. Usually, after the person has had a chance to be “available” for a short time and they have had a chance to experiment and figure out what they want from the next part of their life, they go back to being more age appropiate. But it is necessary for to have that chance like the rest of the world. I think we should support her during this part of her journey. If she has the proper support during this time of her life, in a few months, the world will see a “new, better than ever” Kate. She needs to go through this on her own time frame. I have not seen any evidence that this is effecting her ability to be a good mom. I think its great that she wants to explore the woman part of herself. It is important to show your kids that you don’t have surrender every part of your life once you become a mom and be miserable. Its children seeing that turns them away from parenthood and rebel growing older instead of embracing it. Kate still has a few good years left and only one life to live, let her enjoy.

Cali girl

Posted at 11:40 AM on August 25, 2010

Look at Elin Nordegren and look at kate, which one dresses with class and leaves the hooker shoes at home?

0oanyo0

Posted at 4:46 PM on August 24, 2010

i don’t find it so much on a mom

Lobo

Posted at 2:45 PM on August 24, 2010

“She’s sending a message out loud and clear that she’s available,”

I am male and I will tell you, the message she is sending IS loud and clear. “I am available, look at me, I CAN be had” She NEEDS some professional advice. She still does NOT know how to put together an outfit. (Remember just a few short years ago, Jon bought her clothes) She DOES look cheap and easy to be honest. I do NOT care for Kate, but she IS attractive, and this is NOT the way to attract a DECENT man. It is so much more sexy for a woman to wear something that leaves a LOT to the imagination of a male. There IS such a thing as good taste. She is NOT showing she has any. She is really looking and sounding desperate. She dresses like this, then goes on TV “I am lonely” “I need a man to help me” Good grief. She should show some respect not only for HERSELF, but her CHILDREN when with them shopping.

Knowforafact

Posted at 2:25 PM on August 24, 2010

Her poor kids. You know they are taking some major heat at school.. And as far as her doing Steve, well anyone with an eye can see that they are. He is the only one who puts her in her place and she needs that. She can NOT be with someone who is complacent. People are NOT as dumb as you want them to be.

Barbara

Posted at 1:27 PM on August 24, 2010

Kate’s favourite outfit – low-cut skimpy top, miniskirt or shorts, and high heels – would look trashy on anyone, even a childless 20-year-old. She is breaking two cardinal fashion rules: 1, you can show cleavage or show off your legs, but not both at the same time; 2, wear flats (or very low heels) with minis or shorts – high heels with short hemlimes look hooker-ish.

jab

Posted at 10:07 AM on August 24, 2010

Her physique is looking so much better now that she is exercising and dieting. She looks great but she dresses like a tart! The dressier shoes look out of place with the skirts and shorts she wears. If she picked a casual espadrille or cork heel it would be so much better. Still a heel with a mini or short shorts isn’t very age appropriate. It is one or the other. That black outfit would be so much cuter with a simple flat pair of gladiator sandals and would look much more age appropriate. Or if you want the height – wear a longer skirt/shorts. Finally, the tops ARE tarty and more Pamela Anderson – not sure why she chooses – she could do better. She is just drawing attention to herself.

emily

Posted at 12:22 AM on August 24, 2010

I believe we are seeing a sexy woman.

mary

Posted at 9:44 PM on August 23, 2010

How’d Kate get famous anyhow? But since people are dumb enough to watch a show with a bunch of screaming kids and a shrew for a mother…..anyhow her bod is good but she ain’t 16

Pamela

Posted at 5:11 PM on August 23, 2010

I see nothing wrong w/what Kate has on. She’s just 35. So what if she has 8 children. They aren’t complaining. Their are people in their 60’s & 70’s who dress worse. Look @ Hollywierd.

ricochet

Posted at 4:58 PM on August 23, 2010

It’s one of the hottest summers on record and she’s still wearing more than most people out there, especially the fame seekers in Hollywood. Leave the woman alone!

Bobby

Posted at 4:35 PM on August 23, 2010

And I am not a prude at all, but Kate is really looking desperate dressing this way almost daily now. When she was on DWTS, she said she wanted to dress modestly, because of respect for her kids. What happened?

The sad thing is, she does not HAVE to dress this way to attract men or for attention, Kate is a pretty woman. Even is she were an unknown, her looks alone, would get plenty of suitors. I think she should spring for a professional to help her learn to dress PROPERLY. Just a few short years ago, she knew nothing about clothes. Jon picked them for her. She has learned a lot, but not how to correctly dress for “success” as they say. lol

Not sure what is going on with girlfriend, she seems to be doing what Jon did last year, dress like a teenager, a “hot” teenybobber. Kinda sad, really. The ones arguing about this, you know doggone well there is a HUGE difference how one dresses to go shopping at Target (with kids especially), as opposed to going clubbing. You guys need to stop with the “shut up” “leave her alone”. Kate put herself in the public eye, she WILL be critiqued, nothing anyone can do about. Just like any other “celebrity”.

Kris

Posted at 3:46 PM on August 23, 2010

OMG give the lady a break most of you probably do not have kids because it is a difficult task. People should all be in a situation where they have to take care of 8 kids because apparently it is the easiest thing especially when you have a nanny. I think she is being smart putting herself out there to make money so that she does not have to work a 9-5. If I could do I would but I cant. Of course she is going to come under scrutiny because no one has anything better to do but judge her because she is on tv. Get a grip and worry about how you are taking care of your own family. If she wants to dress this way she has the right who are people to judge her. Do we live in the middle east where women have to cover up their entire body. I bet if this were Heidi Klum no one would talk about how she dresses. She is the same age with four kids. I mean respect that someone is taking care of their kids. No matter how she took care of her kids everyone would say something was wrong with the way she were handling her kids even if she were the best mother in the world.

Stormyboo

Posted at 3:21 PM on August 23, 2010

Looks trashy! she could look put together, but must not have a stylist …ut-oh I see a new client for Stacy & Clinton on What no to Wear

anna

Posted at 2:30 PM on August 23, 2010

I can’t decide what’s trashier – Kate’s clothing, or the morons who sit on the internet all day pouring over every detail of her life.

Melissa

Posted at 2:12 PM on August 23, 2010

I wished everyone would just shut up she is a mom of 8 but if u have alot of kids I have 4 and u feel and have the time to make ur self look good then go for it I would if I had the time

Kirstin Benson

Posted at 1:34 PM on August 23, 2010

Kate’s wardrobe isn’t too tarty for a mom…it’s too tacky for ANYONE.

Denny

Posted at 10:13 AM on August 23, 2010

How long till she shaves her head and attacks a paparazzi car with an umbrella? We are watching this loser disintegrate. Unfortunately, the kids always pay the price for her fame whoring.

beanbean

Posted at 10:02 AM on August 23, 2010

leave her alone she is a great mom….of 8 for one thing! had a piece of sheeit husband that cheated on her in her not so good looking days and shes finally getting herself to where she wants it and all you ppl do is critisize. heels during the day? too much?? how stupid is miley cyrus 8 in stilettos during the day? ohh yeah but thats cute right….give her a break!

Lot Lizard Kate

Posted at 10:20 AM on August 23, 2010

beanbag, beanbag, beanbag. Jon didn’t start seeing other women until months AFTER Kate called their marriage off. She dumped him first. Why is that so hard to understand?
Now, then. Please cite some specifics on just how, exactly, Kate is a ‘great mom’.

I Hate Kate Gosselin

Posted at 1:59 PM on August 23, 2010

Everyone is all Gaga over Kate and her super mom abilities. Well if I had an army of nanny’s, not to mention the security brigade I could be a super mom too. The woman is narcissistic,and dresses like a whore. She’s not worth the $250,000 TLC is paying her per episode. Personally I think her 15 minutes of fame were up a long time ago.

Lola B

Posted at 2:24 PM on August 23, 2010

Miley Cyrus is a 17 year old kid, big difference and there is much talk about the way she dresses as well. Kate is on the other hand is the Mother Teresa of all working moms out there. She takes care of 26 acres of land all by herself with no help, has 8, yes 8 kids to feed. That must be very hard when you have nannies to do all the child care and I’m sure house work for you. Kate looks ridiculous for a woman of any age. With her fake hair, fake teeth, fake boobs and her hooker clothes she looks like she belongs on Rock of Love or a street corner. Kate is not the first and only person to have 8 kids and won’t be the last. Many people raise large families without the benefit of a reality show from which she has made millions. They get out and WORK. Kate is not a good mother by anyone’s standards or a least she shouldn’t be. She has had her kids work to support her lavish life style. Parents should work to support their kids not the other way around.

Lot Lizard Kate

Posted at 9:50 AM on August 23, 2010

Trashylicious thy name is Kate. The mere fact that she’s dressed like this in front of her kids, in front of her (allegedly still)married bodyguard (and crew)in the middle of the day, in the middle of Pennsylvania AND filming most it for her stupid show…Guess that morals clause that TLC slapped Jon with doesn’t apply to Kate does it? Funny thing that double standard. And how about that lie that Kate said she had to be modestly dressed on DWTS but she can go out looking like a 2 bit hooker in the middle of the day with her kids and film crew?
Money sure ain’t buying you any class, Kate!
Go and stay away. Far away.