Posted Thu, September 2, 2010 5:16pm EDT

Designers Discriminate Against My Curves! ”Mad Men Star Christina Hendricks Speaks Out!

Posted Thu, September 2, 2010 5:16pm EDT

Christina and Kim Cattrall are among the actresses who say their curves aren’t accepted in Hollywood and that it isn’t acceptable to be over a size 2. Is that fair? I say NO WAY!

Christina Hendricks is a beautiful woman – with her curves, red hair hair, real breasts and pale skin, she looks exactly like a Botticelli angel. So why then has she been made to feel like her fuller figure is a bad thing?

“People have been saying some nice, wonderful things about me. Yet not one designer in town will loan me a dress!” the 35-year-old Mad Men star told the Daily Mail. ‘They only lend out a size 0 or 2. So I’m still struggling for someone to give me a darn dress.”

We’d be hard-pressed to believe that designers WOULDN’T want Christina wearing their clothing, especially as she’s consistently earning raves for her high glam style – but because she’s not built like a little boy, she’s still losing out. Unfortunately, she’s not the only one.

“I’m not a sample size like Sarah [Jessica Parker] and Kristin [Davis]. I couldn’t wear a lot of the clothes the young designers would send us,” Kim Cattrall complained to Vogue UK of the discrepancy between her size and that of her super-small Sex and the City co-stars. “I’d wear a lot of vintage – some of things I wore were like pieces of art. I was never into any of Charlotte’s sweet dresses or Sarah’s outfits,” she added.

But there’s more! “I want to be healthy, but in a industry where you can’t wear a sample size because it’s like a 0 or 2, it makes you feel bad about yourself. To go to photo shoot, its like, ‘Ugh, God, can’t you just at least get a regular size, like a 6 or 8 or something?” singer Mandy Moore has said.

And while Mandy seems annoyed by the weight discrimination, Jake Gyllenhaal‘s Prince of Persia love interest, Gemma Arterton, is downright pissed off at the industry – and by the designers. “It is  ridiculous,” she told the Daily Mail. “I went to a designer the other day — who will remain nameless — and he said to me ‘I’m amazed that you’re fitting into these sample sizes.’‘I’m a size eight to ten [US sizes four to six]! The only way that I could ever be a size six is if I didn’t eat. I’m not naturally meant to be that size, and I just feel like there’s a responsibility to people who aren’t that size to make that known. ‘All I can do, I think, is try to look good.”

We’re with Gemma – there is a PROBLEM with the industry when 4 is considered fat. Stick thin starlets like AnnaLynne McCord or Taylor Momsen are who fashion designer’s choose as their muses; their weight is considered ‘normal.’  It’s no wonder women have such body issues — if we’re being told that five pounds of body fat is a crime, it’s only going to promote self-hatred.

Christina, Gemma, Mandy and Kim are all gorgeous gals and, quite importantly, happy with who they are. They are REAL women, with boobs, butts and everything in between. My suggestion? If designers want to put their duds on clothes hangers, they can  head on down to Bed, Bath & Beyond — I hear they’re pretty cheap.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

jennifer

Posted at 10:56 AM on September 3, 2010

Yay!!!! Finally a star speaks out about the RIDICULOUS sizes of models. Skinny models are not ideal models because they don’t represent reality. Sure there are women who are naturally smaller….something tells me that the ENTIRE entertainment business shouldn’t be racked with them.

AGAIN!! the public wants to see beautiful women….not just skinny ones. If the designers aren’t gettin’ the word, they’re losing out on a HUGE industry…..the majority of the population.

also, young girls peruse magazines that’s just filled with unhealthy women. these “models” are bad models for young teens.

my kids will never be allowed to pick up one of these mags….

DONKEY D*CK

Posted at 10:45 AM on September 3, 2010

YEAH BIG TITS!!!! GOTTA LOVE THEM, I LIKE TO DONKEY D*CK AND GIVE THEM A REAL WORK OVER!!!

Not Applicable

Posted at 10:40 AM on September 3, 2010

Thank you for taking a firm stand on such a controversial subject.

Mia

Posted at 10:35 AM on September 3, 2010

It’s sad that were reading an article and you are saying a 6 or 8 is considered “plus” sized!!! That is CRAZY!!! So basically they are discriminating against any woman who is built like a woman- with hips, boobs and a butt! I am a very athletic and fit woman, the healthiest I have ever been- I wear a 6 to 8 depending on the cut/make.
For most of my youth, I struggled with anorexia and at my sickest- closest to death- I would not have fit into a size 2. My hip bones just would not allow it, even being so skinny I was hospitalized with heart problems.
It’s good to hear some women in hollywood addressing the issue.

Andrew Rhodes

Posted at 10:32 AM on September 3, 2010

And who makes these “big name” designers big in the first place?
If these so-called “big name” designers won’t make clothing for you, pay a designer outfit that hasn’t been seen as “big name” to make something extra special beyond what they have and turn THEM into a “big name”.

And if the critics want to whine, condemn THEM for THEIR complaints. Point out the FACTS, that the old “big names” couldn’t provide, that if the critic complains about the size of the indiviual then condemn the critic for endangering the health of others, and that there is a NEW “big name” in town that CAN provide. After all, these individuals are award winning. THEY have more power than the critics. Or SHOULD.

I like using the term “Proportionately correct”. Looking at Christina above, she fits that description very well. She appears very healthy and of correct size all over. There are some people who are just wildly out of proportion in one area vs other areas of the body. You can easily tell that being out of proportion in such ways may present health problems of one fashion or another.

ndmann55

Posted at 6:38 AM on September 3, 2010

The big named designers seem to have trouble with hips, breasts, and height. I don’t get their fame if all they do is design women’s clothing made for tall young boys. Very curious.

molly

Posted at 5:59 AM on September 3, 2010

Gemma Arterton,Kim Cattrall?? I cant belive you even consider them “big”… something is wong with this world.

IC

Posted at 9:34 AM on September 3, 2010

I totally agree!!! Ppl come in all shapes and sizes…there’s no reason to discriminate…it’s only ignorant folks that do the discrimination…

zz

Posted at 5:33 AM on September 3, 2010

to be fair taylor momsen is only about 16 or 17 years old. shes not a woman. shes a girl. shes understandably lacking curves.

Bob Dobbs

Posted at 4:03 AM on September 3, 2010

Of course, fashion designers discriminate against ‘full-figured’ women … it’s a well-known fact that most of these designers are ‘gay’.

[pbr]

Posted at 9:59 AM on September 3, 2010

Absolutely True!!!

Curt

Posted at 2:45 AM on September 3, 2010

I LOVE curvy women like Christina Hendricks. I just hate when FAT women claim to be curvy. Curvy requires a waist smaller than bust and (especially) hips. Don’t care much if bust is large, but if your waist is bigger than your hips, you are NOT “curvy” …you are FAT!! GO CURVY!!

Joseph Claude-Francois Simard

Posted at 11:02 PM on September 2, 2010

FREE M.C.KCLMNOP CODE 1.2.3. ZULUNATION 1983 POLITICAL PRISONER. smile everyone

renee

Posted at 10:38 PM on September 2, 2010

I still haven’t got past Kim Cattrall described as “full-figured”. Really???!!!!!! On what planet….

wdwyer

Posted at 10:29 PM on September 2, 2010

ask me if i care…yawn.

HM

Posted at 9:25 PM on September 2, 2010

Her nose and lips are not hers and her boob job is as bad as Heidi Montags.ver

Tammy

Posted at 8:40 PM on September 2, 2010

If I were a designer, I would not want Christina Hendricks to wear my clothes. She makes everything look vulgar.

Alana

Posted at 8:37 PM on September 2, 2010

If the woman in the photos above were full figured it would be nice. They just have big boobs, that’s not full figured at all. Not all woman are a size 00 and flat as a board.

Kazoo

Posted at 8:00 PM on September 2, 2010

I’m probably not the first to point this out but in the link I clicked to get to this article they spelled her name “Hendicks.” Freudian slip?

Deborah Sauter

Posted at 7:52 PM on September 2, 2010

Real breasts! Come on, Hendrichs must be joking!

cat

Posted at 7:48 PM on September 2, 2010

It’s true this town discriminates on the basis of size, weight, age, ethnicity, and almost everything else, resulting in a frighteningly skewed portrayal of humanity. Sure the old time studios discriminated but they were still infinitely more diverse than the current movie industry.
On the subject of style, why don’t the full figured actresses patronize designers other than those obsessed with the anorexic? They could come to me or a host of others who design for the range of human figures. Oh, I know, they only want to wear things made by those with famous names so they ignore those who would make them look stunning and then they complain.

Jason_Freebird_Jr

Posted at 7:36 PM on September 2, 2010

Not much needs to be said about this other than the fact that she needs to make sure the dresses she wears don’t make her boobs turn into one giant butt. Easy.

Becky

Posted at 7:35 PM on September 2, 2010

I’m sorry, the woman on the front of here is not “full-figured” she just has huge implants!

R G Miller

Posted at 7:30 PM on September 2, 2010

Kim Cattrall? Really? Full-figured? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Daniel Lynem

Posted at 7:16 PM on September 2, 2010

I have nothing against full figured women. I am attracted to women who have a nice shape, and if they have a few pounds, that’s fine with me. The dress that Christina Hendricks wore to the Emmy’s just made her look weird, like a cartoon character, her breast just looked like ballon’s and with what looked like a tiny waist. I just can’t think of the words to use. She just looked strange. Now she looks great in the gold dress featured for this piece. But hollywood needs to get with the real world because there is nothing wrong with full figured women, I love them. Give me something I can hold, feel, cuddle with, that’s it, I got it, she looks like one of those plastic sex doll toys you can buy and take home.

xchevy

Posted at 7:10 PM on September 2, 2010

i listened to a katy perry song and did not like it. it is obvious that hollywood can and will make anyone famous, as well as, people will always jump at what hollywood deems as worthy.

LemonMeister

Posted at 6:40 PM on September 2, 2010

I think Walter John Matthau said it best in the Movie Grumpy Old Men… “HOLY MOLY”. What does Christina Hendricks need with a dress anyway – luv ley. Red blooded American Male!! Hollywood is run by boys on boys – why would it bother you. Laura is smokin hot too.

Silverbach

Posted at 9:28 PM on September 2, 2010

Don’t forget peeps, full figured and curvy are 2 different things. Hendricks has big boobs and wide HIPS;that is curvy. plus you have to take into consideration a woman;s height, 125lbs on a 5’7 is different if on a 5’4 frame. I think the chicks in this article have breasts,ass,and hips, and that doesn’t fit in designer clothes which are designed using the least amount of fabric. AAAAnd Hendrick’s boobs are real.