Posted Fri, March 1, 2013 11:50am EDT

‘Downton Abbey’ Pics — Season 4 Spoilers

Shirley

Posted at 8:55 PM on September 4, 2013

Perhaps they need a contract to keep them in the series that follow unless their ratings drop. Look at Coronation Street many of the actors (the main ones) stay for years.

A

Posted at 12:09 AM on September 2, 2013

Although it is devastating to have to lose both Jessica Brown Findlay and Dan Stevens as Sybil and Matthew, do not blame the writers or producers as it is not their fault. The actors chose themselves to leave after their contracts were up. If they had to leave, the only logical escape would be death. They had built such strong romances that it would not make sense for them to just leave. It was the actors’ choice.

Anne Rankin

Posted at 12:10 PM on June 24, 2013

I was very sad to see Matthew killed off. I think they should have left it open ended just in case Dan Stevens changes his mind and wants to come back. Shades of Dallas – are we ready for another shower scene? So glad to see Julian Ovenden joining the cast – He played the son in the series “Foyle’s War.” Maybe Lady Mary will fall for him.

Grace B

Posted at 4:21 PM on June 23, 2013

I agree with the comment of why not replacing Matthew. There was no need to be so saddistic and kill him too. There was already plenty of drama. Matthew was pretty much the main character. The entire story has been dancing around him, and for what? To get rid of him? I cannot imagine how the show will be appealing to viewers who, like me, were following the story on Matthew saving Downton Abbey as well as Mary from self destruction. Now the hero is dead. Usually the hero goes on until the end. Doesn’t he? It was a great 3 Seasons. I really like all the actors, but if you are thinking of Hugh Bonneville or Dame Maggie Smith taking off, too, you might as well call off the show.

overthemoon

Posted at 8:54 AM on June 23, 2014

not always…in my other fav show(glee) finn died…the main guy so…

shirley church

Posted at 3:34 PM on May 20, 2013

I was sure Mathew & his brother in law were going to do great things for Downton Abby & the story line could have continued on from there, pulling the Abby out of the red. I can’t see how this series is going to hold the viewers interest after taking out one of the main principles of the story. One only has to read the comments about the fate of Mathew to see where this is going, I feel it is a great error on the part of the producers. To me I feel as if the story has gone flat.

CJ

Posted at 7:25 PM on May 31, 2013

Unfortunately it was Dan Stevens’ choice to leave after his 3 year contract was up. :( The producers did not kill him off on purpose. I agree however that it won’t be the same without him.

ghannon

Posted at 9:14 AM on May 13, 2013

After having to deal with losing our own son very recently and getting involved with Dowton Abbey…losing Sybil and the constant reminder of her death, then to lose Matthew. We were devastated to have been taken down that road again. Sometimes we just want an escape from our own lives not to be thrown in an emotional rollercoaster again. Why couldn’t he have just been replaced? We could have all “dealt” with that much better!

Susie

Posted at 12:51 PM on May 1, 2013

Although it will be odd to say the least without Matthew, Downton Abbey has got it going on. I’ll be willing to be that all those you’ve said, ‘that’s just to much for me’, will be right back in front of the TV when season 4 starts. I think it will come back even stronger. A little change will keep us on our toes. I’m a true Downtown Abbey fan and I’ll be watching Season 4 just like all the others. It’s AWESOME!

Barbara

Posted at 12:38 PM on April 30, 2013

A shock AND a big disappointment to lose Matthew……..

Carole Wilson

Posted at 8:45 AM on April 21, 2013

What a lot of bull being reverse story to the sisters death she leaving a husband and child while Mary loses her husband just to much to much for one family. Lost me for sure

Dr. Carol Anderson

Posted at 12:15 AM on June 14, 2013

perhaps more money would have kept him? the story since the outset has focused on him,.
I still cannot believe that Mathew is gone from “Downton”-someone has overlooked the
importance of Dan Stevens as Mathew to this story. Mathew and Mary are this story!

Shirley

Posted at 9:03 PM on September 4, 2013

I certainly agree about the money, some inticement needed to be given unless they come up with a good story there are a lot of people who won’t be watching.

Shirley

Posted at 8:59 PM on September 4, 2013

Unfortunately bad things happen in real life but this is entertainment & we need to be entertained not shocked out of our system. Something happy needs to happen & not just a wedding.

hannah

Posted at 12:02 AM on April 19, 2013

Not 1 but 2 babys born great. BUT then you killed off TWO most beloved cast members WHY?
And both family members? Your realy got your work cut out for you NOW because the rest of the family members are BORING with out them. All you did was RUSH through some great storys that you could of done a lot with. But instead you killed off 2 great cast members an left the two great partners with babys an sadness and thats not great writting at all. SO you all need to pull a great big story line out or alot of people will just find it sad an boring. WHY KILL OFF THE CAST FAMILY MEMBERS FIRST? and so soon into the show.

Krista

Posted at 2:37 PM on March 19, 2013

I love how Lady Rose has a cell phone in hand.

Crystal

Posted at 11:19 PM on March 14, 2013

Very Upset about his death!!!! I have just got caught up and I am in shock! Matthew was my main reason for watching. Now I am not sure I will continue. WHY ????? WHY!

Beverly Nero

Posted at 7:46 PM on March 4, 2013

No, I have not come to terms with Matthew’s death. There is something called ‘foreshadowing’ in literature, to prepare the reader or watcher for something unpleasant to absorb the shock and enable us to look back and process. I am astute. I feel cheated. I am unhappy.

lilly

Posted at 5:08 PM on March 3, 2013

I HATE that Matthew has to die…..and now that he is dead, why cant the writers give him a better tomb stone wordings…..why not ” beloved husband to Lady Mary Crawley and beloved father to son ,,,,,,,?? and “son of R../I ….Crawley ” Some sweet poetry engraved on his stone would be very nice and appropriate too, seeing the love shared with his wife.. The tomb stone wordings are too sterile , as if he had only lived a nondescript life. Or maybe the writer cant be bother anymore with him now that he had refused to do what JF wanted.
I often found JF writings lack of depth on Lady Mary and Matthew. It was only due to the marvelous acting of MD and DS that gave us, the viewers , the memorable story of Lady Mary and Matthew Crawley.
BUT WE WONT SEE THAT ANYMORE!

mary

Posted at 10:02 AM on March 4, 2013

Yes, thats not supposed to end like this! Why Mathew? Im watching DA because Matthew and Mary, so frust. I dont want to watch DA anymore

Vickie

Posted at 6:08 PM on March 21, 2013

I am so dissappointed at Matthews sudden death..it was just heartbreaking …and he was also my favorite character…the perfect hubby for Mary and so happy to be a father…I guess this does happen in real lfe…happened to a neighbor whose hubby was driving home from a cmas office partyand wasn’t drunk but was killed in an auto accident also…he also left a wife and newborn…but itis so sad!

Paul Lambert

Posted at 9:24 PM on March 27, 2013

Matthew’s death was a foregone conclusion as the character had to, due to forced circumstances,
had to make an exit (stage left).
You will find the wording on the stone pales into insignificance when Season Four commences
after an unseen six months mourning period for the Crawleys.
We’ve got the ‘little one’, so pivitol to Mary and Matthew’s relationship (a little insight into what many of today’s IVF couples endure), hence, the message, with death (Sybil/Matthew) there is new life (babes Sybil/George).
Perhaps a main consideration of the writer(s) could be, not to turn what is an extraordinary period
piece into a mundane (yawn) soap.

Santana

Posted at 6:34 AM on April 22, 2013

I want to enjoy my T.V. Viewing not all this unnecessary death. Can’t be bothered watching it now need to chill out not use the box of tissues.