Posted Wed, April 20, 2011 6:13pm EDT

Demi Lovato's Shocking New Admission — I Threw Up 'Five Times A Day' & 'Was Only Eating Two Times A Week!'

Posted Wed, April 20, 2011 6:13pm EDT

Demi opens up on her battles with food, cutting, drugs and alcohol in her new interview — and how she overcame her demons!

Demi Lovato looks healthier and happier than ever after her stint in a Chicago treatment facility, and is know finally revealing the personal battles with her weight, cutting, drugs and alcohol that sent her there. Demi tells People, “When I was about 15, I was only eating two meals a week, but I wasn’t losing any more weight because my body adjusted to that. So I tried new things: laxatives, fasts — nothing was working. I decided maybe I should start throwing up. At my worst, I was doing it five times a day. I threw up so hard and so much, it was just blood in the toilet.”

Among Demi’s other brave admissions:

• On her now infamous fight with dancer Alex Welch: “I was manic. I was hurt. I just exploded. Everything built up to this point, and I took it out on someone who was my friend.”
  • On if it was her decision to seek treatment: “Yes and no. I flew back to the U.S. and I thought we were going to L.A. My parents were like, ‘No, you’re going to Dallas. We have the owner of a treatment center waiting to talk to you.’”
  • On what motivated her weight loss: “The spotlight didn’t cause this. It just contributed a little bit. I looked at blogs: I saw nasty comments.”
  • On how she would skip meals: “On lunch breaks on Sonny with a Chance, instead of eating, I would take naps or I’d say, ‘I’d gotta get my nails done!’ I’d also go out with my friends more than normal.”
  • On drugs and alcohol: “I’d be lying if I said I never touched anything. Fortunately it never got to a place where I had to be in treatment for it.”
  • On depression: “I’ve battled depression from a young age. I never found out until I went into treatment that I am bipolar.”
  • On reuniting with old friends: “Selena [Gomez] and I reconnected the first week. We hadn’t spoken in a long time. I take the blame; I feel like it was because of the way I’d been acting. She called me and she was the one crying.”
  • On her current eating habits: “My goal for every day is to eat three meals, and that’s challenging enough.”
  • On returning to Sonny with a Chance: “I don’t know if I could handle being in front of a camera with my body right now.”
  • On staying strong:  “It’s a struggle I’ll probably have to deal with for the rest of my life. But I have so much life to live; I don’t want to waste it.

Demi is one brave young woman who is helping millions of girls by making her struggles, and hard work in overcoming them, public!

1. Demi Lovato Spreads The Message: ‘Love Is Stronger Than The Pressure To Be Perfect’ WATCH!
  2. Demi Lovato Talks About Her Eating Disorder: ‘It’s A Life-Long Disease’
  3. Demi Lovato’s First Post-Treatment Interviews Will Air On April 22!

samy

Posted at 3:47 PM on April 21, 2011

omg selena is a good person “Selena [Gomez] and I reconnected the first week. We hadn’t spoken in a long time. I take the blame; I feel like it was because of the way I’d been acting. She called me and she was the one crying.”
good friend

Kathleen Belmont

Posted at 3:42 PM on April 21, 2011

I would like to try out the club in Deerfield, Illinois.

DemzzBaby

Posted at 2:38 PM on April 21, 2011

omg sel is such a babe!

izzah

Posted at 8:07 AM on April 21, 2011

the drug thingy is a lie!!! she never did it and that answer was taken from OTHER question!!! i read an article about it

aleid

Posted at 1:59 AM on April 29, 2011

nope. she did admit to drugs and alcohol. it IS in the interview in people magazine. she told all her fans on her official facebook to go buy the magazine and read her interview. if people mag woulda made it up, demi woulda denied it but she didn’t.

jason

Posted at 11:47 PM on April 20, 2011

Honesty is the first step.

But, you get fat taking in more than your body needs. And she’s a teenager and burning calories like crazy just by existing.

No, she’s not being totally honest. She consumes too many calories, whether it’s food…or more likely alcohol (which is LOADED with calories).

Eat when hungry, drink when thirsty and sleep when tired. She’s clearly not doing that.

mandy

Posted at 9:06 AM on April 21, 2011

I’m not her fan, but your comment it’s so wrong and insulting to anyone who ever suffered form an eating disorder.
You obviously know nothing about eating disorders. Once you have an eating disorder when you start eating normally you’ll gain a lot of weight because your body is holding on to every single calorie you consume, because it was on starvation mood for a long time. She’ll lost some weight she gained, but it’ll take time for her body to normalize her metabolic rate. So until you educate yourself on this subject don’t accuse her of being dishonest.

Ginger Snap

Posted at 10:39 PM on April 20, 2011

Demi used to be such a great role model, but all of that dissapeared. It’s very sad.

Pat

Posted at 6:15 PM on April 20, 2011

Yep that is a change for a celebrity to be so brutally honest. Kudos to Demi. Yeah Demi probabaly drank alcohol and “maybe” tried a little light drugs like Miley with her bong thing but I doubt Demi was a hardcore druggie/drinker otherwise there would have been some signs like her cutting wrist sign.
If you are a hardcore druggie/alcoholic it is VERY hard to hide it because you become addicted and have to have it all the time.
Anyway first time any celebrity,a teenager at that, has been soo honest and vulnerable by putting all her personal battles out there. A bonus is that she will be able to help many teenagers (men and women) and even adults, especially those that hide it. I’m sure there are MANY still in the Hollywood world that have Demi same bulimia/anorexia problem but they hide it much better.
I feel for Demi going through all that at such a young age.

Yessica

Posted at 5:25 PM on April 20, 2011

Wow, respect.

ghe

Posted at 5:09 PM on April 20, 2011

i knw demi is a strong woman now!!!

Nicola

Posted at 4:48 PM on April 20, 2011

Now imagine if Miley was saying that. You will kill her !

But Demi is poor and honest….

nene

Posted at 4:14 PM on April 20, 2011

She is a coke head! Another lindsay lohan in the making . Sad that she is using this to be in the soptlight.

James

Posted at 4:26 PM on April 20, 2011

Soptlight? What the hell is that?can you please spell correctly if you are going to insult her? Moron.

sarah

Posted at 8:14 PM on April 20, 2011

wow grow up.. she never did coke. and is nothing like lindsay

lala

Posted at 10:10 PM on April 20, 2011

i doubt that

isha

Posted at 1:33 AM on April 21, 2011

watch your mouth miss… if you want to insult ppl you should learn how to spell it correctly what are you 5 years old? and fyi demi is so much better than lindsay.. maybe you’re the future lindsay…

Danniel

Posted at 3:37 PM on April 20, 2011

Hey this is not real.. the drugs and alcohol thing is fake!!! She never told anything about that in the interview!

jess

Posted at 2:01 AM on April 29, 2011

yes it is. i bought the magazine and she did admit it.

F.Raina

Posted at 3:31 PM on April 20, 2011

This is so sad.. It makes me cry to know that she went through all of this. She is being so honest and I hope many people watch her interview and get something out of it don’t be haters… :) She’s so strong

H

Posted at 3:09 PM on April 20, 2011

Ihope Demi can get better soon!We love you Demi

Georgia

Posted at 2:55 PM on April 20, 2011

Im really upset that she drunk and took drugs but i really admire her honesty about it all! She soo amazing! I love her soo much, she’s helped me more than she will ever know. Im so proud of her!

sarah

Posted at 8:18 PM on April 20, 2011

I wouldnt believe this whole artical, only some of it is true, the rest is made up

and im not being a Stan, its just this site does that to like every artical

Jocasta Oliveira

Posted at 2:45 PM on April 20, 2011

I am very proud of you Demi, I think nobody in the world never had the courage and the strength you have! you’ll be fine now I know!

Joana Mariani

Posted at 2:28 PM on April 20, 2011

I hope that Demi sue you! Its about time!

estie

Posted at 2:25 PM on April 20, 2011

I have to admit that this is the firts time that I feel like she’s talking honestly. You can tell by her expretions. I think that she’s amaizing and brave for telling everyting.. and she deserves the best!

GOD BLAS YOU demi.!

*sorry for my english*

Sg54

Posted at 1:59 PM on April 20, 2011

Wow. That is the most honesty you will ever get from a celebrity, hollywood. eat it up. I extremely admire her honesty and am truly surprised shes willing to go on after what shes been through> she is so talented, and I CANT wait until her next album!

Don

Posted at 1:50 PM on April 20, 2011

This is so fake. She never took drugs

Dylanne

Posted at 3:16 PM on April 20, 2011

LOL. What a joke. This is an INTERVIEW as in DEMI IS ONE SAYING THIS. Rumors of her doing coke/meth and drinking avidly have been around since 2009. All her new friends at the time (Anna Oliver, Miley Cyrus, CT, etc) are KNOWN to be hard partiers. Now, she ADMITS it and you’re still in denial? Hahaha. You watch too much Disney Channel.

sarah

Posted at 8:21 PM on April 20, 2011

Did you even read this? she never said she did coke, or anything else, and yes we all know she has drunk before, so has miley,selena,JB, everyne, not that that makes it oka, but don t make up stuff

aleid

Posted at 2:03 AM on April 29, 2011

she did admit to doing drugs and alcohol on people magazine. i bought it.. the quotes are there. demi told all her fans on facebook to go buy the magazine to read her interview and she did admit it. stop being in denial.

Me4ever

Posted at 1:36 PM on April 20, 2011

wow…her honesty absolutley blows me away…if i have even more respect for this girl now…i hope she can stay on the right track

Lovatic

Posted at 1:33 PM on April 20, 2011

OMD!!! Demi, you’re so cute and nice! Don’t forget that we (Lovatics), your family, and your true friends will be always gere to help you and support you. We love you Demi, just the way you are! Stay strong and be happy ’cause love is louder than the pressure to be perfect. XOXO

bull

Posted at 1:20 PM on April 20, 2011

i think the whole drug thing is bull i mean she just admitted to it but in a way that she didn’t really talk about it what a cop out more like yeah i did “some” but dont ask me about it what an idiot

Cat

Posted at 1:28 PM on April 20, 2011

She doesn’t have to ‘talk’ about anything to anyone. Least of all you. To say what what she did or didn’t do, not our business. She didn’t lie either, she just didn’t elaborate, quite rightly.
Some people aren’t happy are they. Wow. Don’t like her? Fine. Just keep it to yourself cos no one is interested. I see you had to read the article just to comment though. Excellent.

Sasha

Posted at 1:12 PM on April 20, 2011

I think it’s amazing how honest she is

Rebecca

Posted at 12:42 PM on April 20, 2011

We love you demi if one person says diffrent me and the rest of the lovatics (Your family :P) will out weigh and bad comments #StayStrong and GOD loves you never forget that “You can do all things through christ who strenghens you.”