Courteney Cox and Christina Aguilera are just two of the most recent examples of remarkably accomplished women whose success seems to destroy their relationship!
Success is everything in Hollywood, but for some of the most powerful and accomplished women, it is also what ultimately tears apart their personal lives! From stars like Kate Hudson and Reese Witherspoon to more recent examples like Courteney Cox and Christina Aguilera, once some women experience a certain level of fame and success, the men in their lives often find it difficult, or impossible, to stay with them!
LA based psychologist Dr. Carole Lieberman tells us, “Celebrities do have more failed relationships than the rest of the world for many reasons. The most fundamental reason is that the people who seek out stardom have been deprived of sufficient love and attention as a child. So they are constantly seeking applause and adoration from their fans and their spouses. This puts a strain on celebrity marriages, especially if they are both divas – like Jon and Kate, or one spouse is jealous of the other’s success – like Jesse was of Sandra’s Oscar.”
Clinical psychologist Dr. Sheila Forman echoes many of these thoughts saying, “In today’s world, I don’t find many couples who are not under pressure but celebrities’ status in our world does position them for extra stress than can weigh them down. For example, in a celebrity couple where one spouse is more famous or more successful than the other spouse may experience feelings of jealousy and/or competition that can undermine their bond. In addition, the publication of otherwise private information can negatively affect the couple’s efforts to resolve their issue and reconcile. Lastly, the time demands on a celebrity can prevent him/her from fully being present in their marriage and as a consequence the marriage may suffer.”
Check out a few examples in the gallery above:
- Christina Aguilera & Jordan Bratman : Married in 2005, the parents of 2-year-old Max split in 2010.
- Courteney Cox & David Arquette : The parents of 6-year-old Coco married in 1999 despite a 7 year age gap.
- Sandra Bullock & Jesse James : She’s awesome, he’s a creep.
- Avril Lavigne & Deryck Whibley : The young lovers separated after three years of marriage but remain close friends.
- Jennifer Aniston & John Mayer : The couple were hot and heavy in 2008 and 2009 but soon fizzled out, though they still remain friends.
- Susan Sarandon & Tim Robbins : One of Hollywood’s golden couples, these two split after 23 years of marriage in 2009!
- Kate Hudson & Chris Robinson : After 7 years of marriage the Oscar nominee left her rocker husband who was 12 years her senior.
- Halle Berry & Gabriel Aubry : Halle and her model beau of 5 years, with whom she has a 2-year-old daughter Nahla.
- Laura Dern & Ben Harper : The queen of indie film and singer were wed in 2005 and have two children but split in 2010 — just like pal Courteney.
- Madonna & Guy Ritchie : Married for almost exactly 8 years, the queen of pop and the British film director split in 2008.
- LeAnn Rimes & Dean Sheremet : The singer married her back-up dancer in 2002 but they split in 2009 amidst claims of infidelity.