Posted Thu, August 5, 2010 3:16pm EST

Bonnie Says: $60 Million Supermodel Gisele Bundchen Needs to Shut Up and Stop Dictating Breastfeeding to Women

Posted Thu, August 5, 2010 3:16pm EST

Be quiet and get a life – a REAL life, Miss. Perfect Supermodel Mom, Gisele! When you pronounced to the world in the new September issue of British Harper’s Bazaar that there “should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months,” you became new mom enemy #1.

How dare a pampered 30-year-old model who earns $60 million a year dare tell the world’s far less fortunate non-supermodel moms that they are negligent for giving “chemical food to your child when they are so little”? That chemical food would be baby formula.

Here’s Gisele’s full statement, so you can absorb it yourself: Some people in the U.S. “think they don’t have to breast feed, and I think, ‘Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?’ I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.”

By the way, Miss Know-It-All Gisele is the mother of a 7 month-old son, Benjamin, and is married to the equally wealthy Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady. The pair is sooo wealthy in fact that they are building a $20 million, 22,000 sq ft mansion with a six-car garage in Brentwood, CA.

To say that she has ANY concept of what real life moms and especially real working moms have to cope with when they are trying to breastfeed is the UNDERSTATEMENT of the year.

This is a woman who is waited on hand and foot while she shoots her Victoria’s Secret Angel, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, Valentino, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, and Louis Vuitton advertising campaigns and her dozens of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar covers. I know — I’ve been on those type of shoots and supermodels like Gisele are beyond pampered by the stylists, editors, photographers, and hair and makeup people from even before they set foot on set. That’s what work is like for her! Does that sound like YOUR office or work environment?

This is a woman who can decide when or how much she wants to work. She’s already amassed a multi-millionaire’s fortune.

She didn’t have to negotiate for a lousy six weeks of maternity leave. She didn’t have to tearfully leave Benjamin at a daycare center or with babysitters when he was teeny, tiny – AND lug a breast pump to work!

Most women would LOVE to breastfeed their babies for six months or more. It’s a wonderful bonding experience. It’s relaxing, loving and yes, it’s nature’s way! Most moms are desperate to do what’s best for their babies!

I’m one of those moms who loved breast feeding my four little ones but I had to go back to work. Most women have to or else they’ll lose their jobs and they NEED the money to support their families. And I carted that breast pump EVERYWHERE – even to the White House, where I attended a conference for editors.

Let me tell you, Gisele – it’s not easy to breast pump at work with even the most sympathetic bosses. You need time and privacy AND even with pumping, your milk production slows down.

So Gisele – are you ready to supplement the incomes of mothers around the world so they don’t have to work for six months while they breast feed?

Would you throw breast-feeding delinquent moms in jail with their babies? Or would you foster an army of “wet nurses,” i.e. women willing to breastfeed the babies whose moms are in jail?

In case you don’t think Gisele is already Mrs. Perfect – let me lay on you a few of her other guilt-inducing doozies!

She naturally had a complication-free, chemical-free home birth in a bathtub that she has said was painfree. She told a Brazilian TV channel that labour “didn’t hurt in the slightest!” She meditated through Benjamin’s birth – “I wanted to experience the transformation,” she told Vogue magazine. “It was the most amazing experience of my life, feeling him come through my body.”

Well – yahoo for you! Not only are you beautiful genetically – you are wonder woman and have super  pain-free powers. She also has weight loss superpowers since she dropped her 30 lbs of baby weight almost overnight and with “no more exercise than some yoga on a mat in the living room,” according to Vogue. “I think that’s muscle memory,” she says.

No – Gisele has no idea of what having a baby is like for the rest of us who beg for an epidural after excruciating contractions and then diet and work out for months and years to try and get back some semblance of our non-supermodel figures.

Gisele has the nerve to have already shot an underwear advertising campaign that probably didn’t even require an iota of retouching!

When life is sooo easy, it is easy to not recognize the challenges of moms who work or stay-at-home moms who have no help with their newborns and other children, or who simply have trouble producing enough milk for their babies or who simply chose NOT to breastfeed.

“Mothers, especially new mothers, don’t need anyone judging them, It’s completely ridiculous. Parents don’t need laws, they need support. And these days, it’s pretty much impossible to have a baby in North America without having a wealth of information at your fingertips. We all want healthy babies, we don’t need to bring jail into it,” says Caroline Connell, editor-in-chief of Today’s Parent magazine.

Even Barbara Emanual, Executive Director of Le Leche League International, an organization which encourages breastfeeding – is more down to earth!

“Breastmilk is the best milk for the baby, but we respect that mothers are the best person to decide what is best for her and her baby. Mothers all over the world have different lifestyles.”

Well thank you for being more understanding of all the beleagured moms in the world. Now Gisele, please go back to doing what you do best – looking beautiful – and please keep your breastfeeding dictates to yourself!

1. Go Glam Just Like Gisele Bundchen! How To Get The Perfect Summer Highlights Just Like Her!
  2. Gisele Bundchen Responds To Backlash Over Her ‘Every Mom Must Breastfeed’ Comment
  3. IT JUST ISN’T FAIR: Gisele Bundchen’s Post-Baby Bikini Body REVEALED…And They Were Taken TWO Months After Birth!
  4. Bonnie Says: Paris Hilton, Thank You For Loving Hollywoodlife.com!
  5. WATCH! Bonnie Visits The Morning Shows To Chat About Chelsea Clinton’s Wedding!
  6. Bonnie Asks: Michelle Obama’s One Shoulder Top — Is She Too Sexy For A First Lady?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Candace

Posted at 1:09 PM on August 10, 2010

I think she is ignorant. I am sure she is just a new mom that is excited about her baby. Just be happy you have a healthy child and stop talking. I’m simply not interested in her point of view. I don’t want an apologize or a carefully written statement, just be quiet. Also the criticism of her is not done out of jealousy. It’s her callous disregard for the feelings of others that is the problem and the fact that she just keeps it up. In order to highlight all the things she has done right she puts down other mother’s. There is nothing positive in her doing that she is simply passing judgement. There is nothing easy about child birth, pregnancy or breast feeding. I’ve seen mothers on the verge of nervous breakdowns over the fact that there milk has not come in. I am truly happy for her and I am sure she is a great mother and I wish her all the best. She should refrain from giving advice in the future.

Italia

Posted at 12:45 PM on August 10, 2010

First of all Gizelle was right. Breastfeeding your child si the single most imporant thing you can do for a new born and I’m a little sick and tired of these moronic women out here pretending that it is not true. Sure there are women who cannot breastfeed and it is dealt with, however, breastfeeding your child should be done. Any mother knows this. For the majority of women who can breast feed and chose not to, they are putting their children in danger for other childhood illnesses down the road and this needs to be brought out. It is pure vanity and selfishness that women who can and don’t won’t. If I were Gizelle, I would speak out a little stronger on the issue and speak up to the foes of breastfeeding that are trying to demonize her. Gizzele just proved she’s just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. I am shocked at the amount of negativity directed towards her because she spoke out on an important issue. Most real mothers know to breast feed your child, why the outcry is beyond me. YOU GO GIZELLE AND CONTINUE TO SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER OR DIMWITS! The moronic media likes to pit women against women and they are tryingn to say that Gizelle is nothing more than a beautiful Model. The fact she spoke out on this issue makes her a little more intelligent than her naysayers as far as I am concerned and I love her for it. Perhaps she knows this because she comes from a culture who prides it self on eating healthy, fresh foods. Probably that’s why she’s so beautiful. Get with it American and come off of your high horses. GET REAL with your child.

Stephanie

Posted at 12:33 PM on August 11, 2010

Obviously we can see that this is a very passionate subject. But, I have to agree that Giselle was extremely insensitive in her remarks. I have a beautiful 3 year old girl who was breastfed up to 12 months. It took a lot of effort and many tears in those first two weeks to get it right. For all of these people criticizing Americans, where is that coming from? I think any American mom knows that we are practically bombarded with the mantra that “breastmilk is best” even before we become pregnant. Pretty much every hospital has lactation consultants to help. Pretty much EVERY woman I know that is pregnant intends to breastfeed. But sometimes, reality sets in. Maybe you are a cancer survivor like a friend of mine, and the medicine you took in the past makes it dangerous to breastfeed. Maybe you try and try and try but for some reason can’t get your milk to come in. Or maybe you get it right, have wonderful time breastfeeding your baby, but after returning to work have to stop. Whatever the reason, what I have seen is that most women who cannot breastfeed are extremely hurt and devastated. They know that for the rest of their lives, they may have to feel the need to give explanations to all of the other moms that were able to breastfeed. Let’s remember this: the most important of all milk is the colostrum – the milk that every mom who starts out trying to breast feed gives to her baby. This is the milk that produces the immune system benefits. And let’s also remember that were you to line up a group of children, it would most likely be indistinguishable who was breast and who was formula fed. To all the moms out there who feel guilty, I say LET THAT GUILT GO. Anyone who dares to judge you has never put themselves into your shoes. Giselle, take a moment to think about that before you are so harsh to criticize.

to

Posted at 12:30 PM on August 10, 2010

People are making mountains out of molehills!She said nothing wrong.

Nader

Posted at 12:28 PM on August 10, 2010

Why so jealous ? Bonnie – Please don’t say anything if you don’t have anything nice to say.

jhkjhhj

Posted at 10:32 AM on August 10, 2010

MG,$99,Designer luxury bags,search ” MyDiscountBag ” on google,get Louis Vuitton,Hermes,Chanel etc.All 80% off,and free wallet promotion is now.

simone

Posted at 8:48 AM on August 10, 2010

this is also a woman that comes from a humble family and has other 4 sisters, so i guess she is only passing forward what she learned in her family. and also, here in brazil, maternity leave is a real right and its being even extended with the new law… so i’m sorry if your country law and food sucks, but she is right to say that it IS mportant and people SHOULD breastfeed.

me

Posted at 11:45 AM on August 10, 2010

Giselle is also medically right. Your physician should advise you the same way. Its healthier for baby and mother to breastfeed as long as

Una Lauren

Posted at 10:47 PM on August 9, 2010

and by the way, american kids eat french fries, chicken nuggets, pizza and hamburgers every day… all kinds of poison processed fat food… so who cares about the importance of breast milk anyways?

Nicole

Posted at 10:41 PM on August 9, 2010

I have to say at least she cares. How many starlet mothers had their C section/tummy tuck and knowingly delivered their babies prematurely at 36-37 weeks to avoid the last few lbs of pregnancy. How many starlets are seen out on the town drinking while we know that thier babies are alone at home with the nanny. Do they go home and breastfeed or do they have the nanny give the baby a bottle of formula. She may not be well spoken, but she sets a better example than most.

v

Posted at 10:01 PM on August 9, 2010

to me you just sound jealous of giselle, I think she has a point. WHEN POSSIBLE people should breastfeed their babies, or at least give them breast milk along with the formula (which by the way, IS medically made)> I’m sorry your life sucks so much you feel the need to slam those who are more fortunate than yourself.

beto

Posted at 6:53 PM on August 9, 2010

Giselle , go back Brazil and leave us hard working American moms alone. We don’t need any more arrogant bimbos telling us what to do. go put your bra and panties on and shut up

to

Posted at 12:29 PM on August 10, 2010

Someone is jealous.

NotSoJealous

Posted at 5:18 PM on August 9, 2010

back off giselle. geesh. you spent 75% of this article slamming her for being more fortunate than you (and me), but encouraging breastfeeding and natural births is not a bad thing. maybe she’s not the most politically correct, but calm down, she’s not a politician either. so there’s no law. it’s ok. if you want to live your life freely, let her share her opinions freely

Ally

Posted at 1:20 AM on August 9, 2010

It’s not WHAT Giselle says, but the WAY she says it. She always come off as self-righteous, condescending, and b*tchy. That’s why people don’t like her. I hope her hubby can stand her forever, because no one else can.

Saffy

Posted at 12:14 PM on August 9, 2010

stupid comment

Mariana

Posted at 8:17 PM on August 8, 2010

LINDA, COM DINHEIRO E BRASILEIRAAAAA!! ARRAZA!
BEAUTIFUL, WITH MONEY AND BRAZILIAN! IT’S PRETTY AND AMAZING

Tiff

Posted at 1:06 PM on August 8, 2010

A narcissist, perhaps? Clearly Gisele is a know-it-all mother after 1 child! I’ve never been a fan of hers, although she is a beautiful woman. She is way too into herself! She poses for pictures for a living. She’s no genius and has horrific social skills, obviously!

harpy61

Posted at 11:58 AM on August 8, 2010

It is a bit rich coming from a multi-millionaire in America, which is such a family-unfriendly country. In my home country, women are entitled to a year’s paid maternity leave, and to have their job back (or an equivalent) after that.

Laura

Posted at 10:17 AM on August 8, 2010

She wasn’t speaking out against people who CAN’T breastfeed, just people who CAN and DON’T. And I agree, I think any woman who can breastfeed and doesn’t is irresponsible and doing harm to their child.

ashley

Posted at 8:44 PM on August 8, 2010

AMEN! That was one of the best articles I have read in a long time. Finally someone put Gisele in her place. She keeps putting her foot in her mouth and making these ridiculous statements. Shes been a mother for 7 months and is a supermodel with the world at her fingertips. I wish she would just shut up

Saffy

Posted at 12:09 PM on August 9, 2010

same goes for you dear

ashley

Posted at 8:46 PM on August 8, 2010

Im sorry but you are a moron for saying it does harm to your child. I breastfeed for 3 months and my son is perfectly fine. Healthy as can be. It is good for them yes but it will not harm them if you dont get a life!

jhouio

Posted at 5:56 AM on August 8, 2010

Search ” my discount bag ” on google to get the designer luxury bags,my discount bag。COM is just for fashion ladies.As louis vuitton ,chanel,Hermes,etc.Free wallet promotion is now.

Emily

Posted at 1:41 AM on August 8, 2010

Really? My experience in America is that every single African American pregnant coworker has been fired before she could deliver as to avoid granting her maternity leave. So, just because there’s supposed to be maternity leave laws on the books in some states doesn’t mean your company is going to be ethical and not fire you for being pregnant. A baby is kicking and it hurts or you’re leaking water or you had an appointment preapproved to leave early: does not matter for what I saw because those women were escorted out during their breaks by security and managers would sweep all personal items into a trash bag and thrown at the pregnant woman now waiting outside.
So, in Brazil where Gisele is from supposedly with all their great maternity leave and being a country that refuses to acknowledge American parental custody maybe she doesn’t acknowledge problems that exist in the real world for people living in America. Like when your baby’s daddy is a massive tool and marries a condescending harpy shrew that gives interviews claiming to be the birth mother of your actual biological kids. No, Gisele doesn’t have those problems in the world she’s living in.

Saffy

Posted at 12:07 PM on August 9, 2010

you are insecure and catty

me

Posted at 11:48 AM on August 10, 2010

what?

On the River

Posted at 7:14 PM on August 11, 2010

Emily:

And yet, still you’re here.

Surely you don’t expect people to believe that crap, do you?
The African-Americans in our country are well educated as to their rights and would never, repeat NEVER put up with that sort of treatment! Go pedal your wares somewhere else!

Ry

Posted at 7:02 PM on August 7, 2010

I’m sorry, but I agree that mothers should breast feed, if they are able. I work and I pumped for over a year with my daughter. I am so tired of hearing, “I can’t breast feed.” from perfectly healthy woman. Obviously, someone with health problems, like the breast cancer survivor, would be unable to, but I think everyone should at least try. I know there are support groups and lactation consultants, and pump rental places. I know many woman who quit because they didn’t like their breasts to be so big or because it was a hassle. I think it’s selfish to not even try. Also, why is it so terrible that she had a good birth experience? I gave birth in a hospital, my doctor wasn’t on duty, and it was fine. Not pain-free, but I was lucky enough to not need an epidural or anything. Also, her JOB is to look good. I’m sure she went back to her prepregnancy weight easier then the rest of us “normal” woman. I got back to my prepregnancy weight, which is still 40lbs. more then it should be…but I’m a teacher, not a supermodel, so they let me come to work fat. :-)
I think Bonnie is jealous. I tried for 6 years to get pregnant and I am thrilled to hear about moms who are happy to have children and aren’t making everything sound negative. Give her a break!

Saffy

Posted at 12:05 PM on August 9, 2010

excellent point

Gen

Posted at 11:01 PM on August 9, 2010

It’s not your business what mothers want to do. You do what you think is best for YOUR baby and the others will do what they want for their babies. I had breast reduction, I couldn’t get milk at all and honestly, I really, really wanted to breastfeed but couldn’t. However, there is no way that I will go and say “women should do this and that” so everybody here, including Gisele, mind your own business!

Breast Cancer Survivor

Posted at 4:22 PM on August 7, 2010

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at 34. Double mastectomies don’t give you the option to breastfeed, ladies. I love, nurture, and FEED my child with every resource I have left after cancer took what it wanted. But don’t pity me, my friends. My new curves make me the MILF on the block!

anon

Posted at 4:14 PM on August 7, 2010

I also know women who were not able to breast feed and thier kids are very healthy and doing very well in school. We support women in doing what is right and best and healthy for themselves and thier kids and not bully or shame them if dont breast feed. BTW if your going to breast feed dont put anything into your body you wouldnt give to your baby directly.

Emily

Posted at 6:54 AM on August 7, 2010

Bonnie, I think your anger is sadly misguided. Instead of spewing venom towards Gisele, how about throwing a little something towards your government. Six weeks maternity leave is pitiful. In the UK, women have 52 weeks Statutory Maternity Leave, and may be entitled to receive Statutory Maternity Pay for up to 39 weeks of the leave.

The gut flora of a breast-fed baby and a formula-fed baby are completely different, the latter being abnormal.

Niki

Posted at 8:05 AM on August 7, 2010

I couldn’t agree more, Emily.

I am not a wealthy person and I managed to breastfeed both of my children – and for several years too. It doesn’t have to be impossible for anyone – if you make up your mind to do it, and you put your baby’s health first.

AliceV

Posted at 6:17 PM on August 6, 2010

maybe she should just shut-up and do what she’s really good at . . . adjusting her boobs in her bra.

halo

Posted at 12:19 PM on August 7, 2010

Jealous much?

Lisa R.

Posted at 4:20 PM on August 6, 2010

I knew when I saw the comment from Gisele Bundchen that there would be fall out. I see your point but I think your response is hateful! I also see Ms. Bundchen’s point. I also breastfed 4 children while working full time, each of them for at least a year. I know exactly how difficult it can be. Each mother must make the decision to choose their babies health over their own convenience. I know there are some mothers who simply can’t physically breastfeed but for the most part I believe it is simple selfishness.

rsd

Posted at 2:16 PM on August 6, 2010

Sooooo much anger in this article. Wow!!! I am speechless. Gisele is entitled to her opinion. And if there was a “law” to breastfeed, there would be a “law” to make it possible. Mothers get a 6-month maternity leave in Brazil. And breastfeeding IS really important! Researchers believe that mothers pass on to their child their (already developed) immuno system through breastfeeding. My son has great health — I barely remember the last time he had as much as cold. He is 22. I do credit it to breastfeeding. And a model-mother’s life is just as difficult as any other mother’s (I know because I worked for one…as a nanny). And you are the one who should get a life! Last time I checked, this was a free speech country…

kissme

Posted at 2:26 PM on August 6, 2010

Amen.

AliceV

Posted at 6:19 PM on August 6, 2010

so, exactly how was her free speech impeded? she still go to say something extremely stupid and her narrow ass isn’t in jail. Now the rest of us are just exercising our free speech to call her stupid.

halo

Posted at 12:19 PM on August 7, 2010

Such nasty women…shame on you. She is astute, intelligent and a caring natural mom. She makes all of you hateful girls look silly. I agree with everything she says, and God bless her for saying it out…every child should have the chance to be chemical free, born safe and nurtured well.