Posted Thu, August 5, 2010 3:16pm EDT

Bonnie Says: $60 Million Supermodel Gisele Bundchen Needs to Shut Up and Stop Dictating Breastfeeding to Women

Posted Thu, August 5, 2010 3:16pm EDT

Be quiet and get a life – a REAL life, Miss. Perfect Supermodel Mom, Gisele! When you pronounced to the world in the new September issue of British Harper’s Bazaar that there “should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months,” you became new mom enemy #1.

How dare a pampered 30-year-old model who earns $60 million a year dare tell the world’s far less fortunate non-supermodel moms that they are negligent for giving “chemical food to your child when they are so little”? That chemical food would be baby formula.

Here’s Gisele’s full statement, so you can absorb it yourself: Some people in the U.S. “think they don’t have to breast feed, and I think, ‘Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?’ I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.”

By the way, Miss Know-It-All Gisele is the mother of a 7 month-old son, Benjamin, and is married to the equally wealthy Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady. The pair is sooo wealthy in fact that they are building a $20 million, 22,000 sq ft mansion with a six-car garage in Brentwood, CA.

To say that she has ANY concept of what real life moms and especially real working moms have to cope with when they are trying to breastfeed is the UNDERSTATEMENT of the year.

This is a woman who is waited on hand and foot while she shoots her Victoria’s Secret Angel, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, Valentino, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, and Louis Vuitton advertising campaigns and her dozens of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar covers. I know — I’ve been on those type of shoots and supermodels like Gisele are beyond pampered by the stylists, editors, photographers, and hair and makeup people from even before they set foot on set. That’s what work is like for her! Does that sound like YOUR office or work environment?

This is a woman who can decide when or how much she wants to work. She’s already amassed a multi-millionaire’s fortune.

She didn’t have to negotiate for a lousy six weeks of maternity leave. She didn’t have to tearfully leave Benjamin at a daycare center or with babysitters when he was teeny, tiny – AND lug a breast pump to work!

Most women would LOVE to breastfeed their babies for six months or more. It’s a wonderful bonding experience. It’s relaxing, loving and yes, it’s nature’s way! Most moms are desperate to do what’s best for their babies!

I’m one of those moms who loved breast feeding my four little ones but I had to go back to work. Most women have to or else they’ll lose their jobs and they NEED the money to support their families. And I carted that breast pump EVERYWHERE – even to the White House, where I attended a conference for editors.

Let me tell you, Gisele – it’s not easy to breast pump at work with even the most sympathetic bosses. You need time and privacy AND even with pumping, your milk production slows down.

So Gisele – are you ready to supplement the incomes of mothers around the world so they don’t have to work for six months while they breast feed?

Would you throw breast-feeding delinquent moms in jail with their babies? Or would you foster an army of “wet nurses,” i.e. women willing to breastfeed the babies whose moms are in jail?

In case you don’t think Gisele is already Mrs. Perfect – let me lay on you a few of her other guilt-inducing doozies!

She naturally had a complication-free, chemical-free home birth in a bathtub that she has said was painfree. She told a Brazilian TV channel that labour “didn’t hurt in the slightest!” She meditated through Benjamin’s birth – “I wanted to experience the transformation,” she told Vogue magazine. “It was the most amazing experience of my life, feeling him come through my body.”

Well – yahoo for you! Not only are you beautiful genetically – you are wonder woman and have super  pain-free powers. She also has weight loss superpowers since she dropped her 30 lbs of baby weight almost overnight and with “no more exercise than some yoga on a mat in the living room,” according to Vogue. “I think that’s muscle memory,” she says.

No – Gisele has no idea of what having a baby is like for the rest of us who beg for an epidural after excruciating contractions and then diet and work out for months and years to try and get back some semblance of our non-supermodel figures.

Gisele has the nerve to have already shot an underwear advertising campaign that probably didn’t even require an iota of retouching!

When life is sooo easy, it is easy to not recognize the challenges of moms who work or stay-at-home moms who have no help with their newborns and other children, or who simply have trouble producing enough milk for their babies or who simply chose NOT to breastfeed.

“Mothers, especially new mothers, don’t need anyone judging them, It’s completely ridiculous. Parents don’t need laws, they need support. And these days, it’s pretty much impossible to have a baby in North America without having a wealth of information at your fingertips. We all want healthy babies, we don’t need to bring jail into it,” says Caroline Connell, editor-in-chief of Today’s Parent magazine.

Even Barbara Emanual, Executive Director of Le Leche League International, an organization which encourages breastfeeding – is more down to earth!

“Breastmilk is the best milk for the baby, but we respect that mothers are the best person to decide what is best for her and her baby. Mothers all over the world have different lifestyles.”

Well thank you for being more understanding of all the beleagured moms in the world. Now Gisele, please go back to doing what you do best – looking beautiful – and please keep your breastfeeding dictates to yourself!

1. Go Glam Just Like Gisele Bundchen! How To Get The Perfect Summer Highlights Just Like Her!
  2. Gisele Bundchen Responds To Backlash Over Her ‘Every Mom Must Breastfeed’ Comment
  3. IT JUST ISN’T FAIR: Gisele Bundchen’s Post-Baby Bikini Body REVEALED…And They Were Taken TWO Months After Birth!
  4. Bonnie Says: Paris Hilton, Thank You For Loving Hollywoodlife.com!
  5. WATCH! Bonnie Visits The Morning Shows To Chat About Chelsea Clinton’s Wedding!
  6. Bonnie Asks: Michelle Obama’s One Shoulder Top — Is She Too Sexy For A First Lady?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

mimi tholsted

Posted at 12:04 PM on August 6, 2010

Come on now it just came out wrong, she did not mean to dictate ……I am sure she ment to say that it is good for baby to breastfeed and good for the mothers body to get back in shape…….come on!!!!!

kissme

Posted at 11:46 AM on August 6, 2010

She is having a wonderful experience with motherhood, and all I see here is a whole lot of jealousy. Grow up, all of you.

Babygirl

Posted at 11:14 AM on August 6, 2010

I am glad you told her. I have two healthy children 3yrs old and 8month baby. I tried to breastfeed my children but couldn’t because some people have health issue. I wanted to breastfeed my second child but It was put to me like this get healthy and raise your kids; or breastfeed and not take care of yourself. The med would get into my breast milk and that would have been toxic. She don’t know anything about the real world. Taking your kids to daycare for 7-8hr coming home fixing dinner and giving bath; then getting ready for the next day with the same routine. Because you had a baby and you had it natural. Don’t make you know everything about being a mom! and what is good for the next person.

Kathleen

Posted at 10:52 AM on August 6, 2010

Gisele acts like she is the only woman in the world to have ever given birth. She needs to shut it.

A3K

Posted at 12:47 AM on August 7, 2010

Yeah, you too.

All stupid bitches off this site!

Huh? You mean there’d be no traffic then? Okay. Nevermind.

GUest

Posted at 10:01 AM on August 6, 2010

This is ridiculous. The only thing she did wrong was say that it should be a law. It should never become a law. But really you can’t say anything else about her. Different people have different bodies. So hers recouped much quicker, is that a crime? And the little “Ms.Perfect”…what are you a high schooler trying to insult someone? Grow up!The nerve to have a photoshoot? It’s her JOB and she has the right to do as she pleases! This article makes you sound entirely whiny and jealous. She’s a millionaire.She has people waiting on her hand and foot. She doesn’t have a hard job. SHUT UP! Life isn’t fair, get over it. I am only 18 and I know this! You think that a woman of your age would have already figured this out.

Missbliss

Posted at 11:22 AM on August 6, 2010

“The only thing she did wrong was say that it should be a law.”

I know you were addressing the breastfeeding comment but while you are defending Gisele…do you, in your infinite 18-year-old wisdom, think it’s OK for one woman to steal another pregnant woman’s husband? I certainly hope it never happens to you but if it does, we’ll see how much you defend her “right to do as she pleases”. You have only just begun to live life and by the way, how do you know how old anyone on this forum is?

kissme

Posted at 11:56 AM on August 6, 2010

What husband? Tom and Bridget were never married and broke up 3 months before he started dating Gisele.

Squiddy

Posted at 9:32 AM on August 6, 2010

Gisele should of kept her opinions to herself.

A3K

Posted at 12:45 AM on August 7, 2010

As should you. Shut it.

sunrisewalk

Posted at 8:11 AM on August 6, 2010

Gisele thinks she is all that,like she is the first women ever to have a child and breast feed them. Grow up Gisele and realize that other women waaay before you have had children and some breast feed and other choose not to for reasons that are personal. You are so insensitive Gisele to the needs of some women that want to breast feed their babies but can’t for reasons like, they have to work or for other reasons. How will that make them feel! Grow up and realize that not everyone live in your little perfect world, nor your little perfect life. Be glad that your can breast feed your baby, but don’t make other women feel bad who don’t breast feel or can’t breast feed!!!!!!

gt

Posted at 7:05 AM on August 6, 2010

As many before me said, shut up Bonnie and get a life.

Cricket

Posted at 6:38 AM on August 6, 2010

I don’t give a fig about Gisele’s breastfeeding and don’t think she is that attractive but what irks me is when celebrities, or anyone else for that matter, try to tell you what’s best for kids when the rest of their lives are a circus. I remember Pam Anderson being on a show a long time ago saying how she is so strict with her boys and what they eat all the while her boobs were hanging out for all to see. And Gisele advising us on childrearing when she stole a man away from his pregnant wife. Why is breastfeeding great and a baby with no father not so bad?

Maria

Posted at 12:43 AM on August 6, 2010

Bonnie, if you wrote this or if your ghostwriter wrote this tirade, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, SHUT THE &*%(*$ UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhouio

Posted at 10:14 PM on August 5, 2010

I found a great si-te,” MYDISCOUNTBAG ” on goo-g le,sells lv ha-nd ba-gs,c-ha ne1,g-u c-c i,go now,

RenataCS

Posted at 9:22 PM on August 5, 2010

I totally agree with the article, I am Brazilian and besides everything said, she is clueless and as you put down her reality is so far from real life she should keep it to herself. There is also a diferent culture ( Brazilian Culture ) behind what she said, but hey Brazilian woman they breastfeed everywhere, it is the best if works for you. nothink in life is perfect and easy. On the other side in Brazil C-section are predominant, I don’t have any friend who wanted to have a natural delivery, I think this is horrible, to me it’s a shame, I live in the US for almost 10 years I had my first child naturaly and cryed because I couldn’t have my second, even after him being breach, had a procedure to turn him down. I had to have a C-section. But in Brazil it’s ok to schedule a C-section just to avoid the pain and the incovinients, they don’t worry about the baby not being ready, on the subject they don’t care about natural right, I did breastfeed my two children for a little more than a year, but I did stay home as my husband doubled his hours and we strugled for me to be home with them. She is just ignorant should stop, counted until 10 before opening her mouth and criticise women. As far as being a mother of 2 and 35 years old, motherhood is no easy job!!! It’s the hardest job on earth!!!

not kidding

Posted at 8:34 PM on August 5, 2010

Just because she is marveling that her baby and she have mastered the connection between the nipple and the mouth means that biology works in her case.

To issue a blanket edict for the rest of society is just too controlling. People who make blanket judgments scare me to death. You can find them in Iran, in China, and in any Third World Banana Republic.

No one will issue orders about my biology! Sorry, but I don’t even like her underwear. What kind of mom models sexy underwear for a living? In Texas we call them scum.

Jess

Posted at 7:46 PM on August 5, 2010

I TOTALLY AGREE Bonnie – you said it the best and I hope Gisele can read this and decide to just SHUT UP when she thinks about opening her mouth to give “motherly advice.” Well she should know shouldn’t she? She’s been a mom for a whole 7 months?!?!? I wanted nothing more to breastfeed my children and tried night/day every half hour but could not. I did not produce enough milk. It hurt to give them formula but you what? They make formula for a reason and it is no more harmful for your children then…let’s say…birthing them into a tub of water – it’s harmless!!!

Christine

Posted at 7:24 PM on August 5, 2010

Shut Up… Bonnie! Just shut up!

scarla

Posted at 6:45 PM on August 5, 2010

It’s obvious to any idiot that you write these absurd rants to stir things up. Fox News might have a place for you.

gbtw

Posted at 7:02 PM on August 5, 2010

lol… hi scarla. i actually disagree with you a little bit. i think she really meant this b/c she herself had to struggle to work and pump! it’s hard when you have to work! pumping SUCKS and doesn’t keep your supply up that well! of course, giselle already sort of apologized for this days ago- and my thought was simply that bonnie didn’t want to just trash the article b/c she had put so much work into it! take care…

scarla

Posted at 7:17 PM on August 5, 2010

lol..obviously I’ve failed to identify with the ‘sensitivity’ of nursing mothers…or post-menopausal mothers :)
BF may have meant it, but it wasn’t a thoughtful argument…it was a crazy rant to get people worked up and that means it wasn’t sincere or believable to me.
It’s too hot out to get over-heated over Gisele and her pretty, pretty baby…you know on the other side, Gisele was willing to screw up her model perfect million dollar boobs….I say good for her:)

gbtw

Posted at 7:34 PM on August 5, 2010

okay. i see your point re bf. (though not sure where menopause fits in?) i actually will go along with you and give kudos to gisele that she’s not worried about ruining her figure by breast feeding- though, i never really understood why people said it ruined your figure in the first place. i mean, it might, i don’t know, but i was more worried about that gd pump disfiguring me than anything the actual nursing part involved. (plus, you burn more calories when you nurse- of course). i mean, i do think gisele really loves her child and this came from a good place- she’s doing everything she can to make her baby as healthy as possible. that’s great. she just should have kept it at that and not started to pontificate about what the rest of the world should be doing, not knowing what difficulties exist in their lives… and that’s where i get the “idiot” part from, though i suppose that was a little harsh.

scarla

Posted at 8:16 PM on August 5, 2010

Hey gbtw..have an excellent weekend..your points are all good…I’m bowing out now….cause “I don’t know nothin’ about birthin’ babies!!!”…I don’t imagine BF has been a nursing mommy for some time….thus the menopausal crack :}

krista

Posted at 6:37 PM on August 5, 2010

yea jealous bonnie! giselle is beautiful, don’t dog on her cuz she’s so lucky. envy is ugly. and breastfeeding education should be law!

gbtw

Posted at 6:48 PM on August 5, 2010

she’s ‘dogging’ on her for having the audacity and/or ignorance not to appreciate that many women do not have the luxury of being able to breast feed for six months. we all know that breast feeding is best for our babies. i managed to do it for 10 months. but not all women have employers who will facilitate the time it takes to pump to keep up supply. i was not getting ANY paid maternity leave, and have to work to provide for my family. if giselle wants to have a law passed, it should be a law that someone pays the moms to stay home for 6 months- which i understand sort of happens in some places in europe. but, not here.

krista

Posted at 7:06 PM on August 5, 2010

yea i know what i said – it’s not lost on me WHY she was dogging on her – because she ‘s lucky for many different reasons.. must be nice. i breastfed for 2 years while i worked two jobs. i woke up in the middle of the night to pump, froze milk.. i just wasn’t lazy about it b/c it was a priority. it would be nice if i had all what giselle had, but doesn’t make breastfeeding anymore/less of a priority in my less-blessed life.

i totally agree about changing legislation to encourage and facilitate the ease of breastfeeding for mothers that need it. And providing education to those who are not knowledgeable about the benefits – some of which Kris discussed. we could learn from other countries that promote BF.

gbtw

Posted at 7:16 PM on August 5, 2010

kudos to you! i was so tired of pumping that when my daughter stopped being interested around 10 months i just let it go and started the weaning process. i had supply issues though, and always wondered if she was getting enough out of me (and thought she’d sleep better if i could give her more through a bottle- she was a horrible sleeper. i was so exhausted- probably that gave me supply issues, too!). in any case, i don’t know what i would have had to do to those two things to make them produce enough to last for two years feeding! my mother in law was probably more like you though- she was producing so much that she was donating obscene amounts because her baby couldn’t keep up and it was hurting her being full all the time!!! in any case, of course you realize i am 100% for breastfeeding and if i envy anything, it’s not giselle, but the europeans who i have read get essentially a paid year off with their little bundle of joy!!! i think there would be a lot more breastfeeding and healthier babies if that were the case.

jessmay

Posted at 5:52 PM on August 5, 2010

She’s stating her opinion and there is nothing wrong with that. I have two children and breastfed both for about 6 months and it is much better for the child, however i was not working, my husband was the one working, so it was much easier in that case. I can understand how breastfeading for working moms out there can be more work, pumping, freezing, yeah I’m sure that gets tiring, but again it’s her opinion on the subject. Oh and I sence a hint of jealousy up top there about her being a super woman, losing the weight so quickly, filthy rich, why is her life such an interest, oh and for the record, I didn’t have the epidural for either one of my children, although it hurt like hell, and i dropped the weight within a couple of months (113lbs currently) and didn’t diet at all, i just didn’t continue to eat as if i was still pregnant. If she knew anything about being a model she would know it’s far from easy i would take my life any day before hers. Most models are so unhappy if they were given a gun they’d shoot themselves, dear dear bonnie, think a little first before you speak.

kris

Posted at 5:45 PM on August 5, 2010

actually she’s not an idiot at all … but the writer is and those who agree with her should educate themselves. formula feeding is for the ignorant.. I DON’T think you should feel bad if you CANNOT breastfeed, but you should if you just WON’T! Read the scientific literature in peer reviewed journals that emphatically promote the health benefits of breastfeeding for moms and babies..

AND if you don’t care about that, you should care as a TAXPAYER!!! Millions of our dollars are spent to supply low-income mothers with formula… NOT to mention the consequences to the environment imposed by the formula industry.

Many moms AREN’T desperate to breastfeed. In fact many don’t think that it’s a big deal not to… AND you can pump and feed later, stop making excuses about the most important part of your life!!!

Formula CANNOT mimic human cells, antibodies and the oligosaccarides found in breastmilk that help keeps babies healthy. READ THE LITERATURE!

gbtw

Posted at 6:42 PM on August 5, 2010

i don’t think anybody is disagreeing that breastfeeding is ideal, nor calling her an idiot for saying that breast feeding is best. the issue is that somebody who does not have to deal with the financial and work pressures that most of us have, should not be telling us what we must do. i was fortunate to have an employer that did not harass me for all of the time i spent in a separate room struggling to pump to maintain a weaning supply… not all women have this luxury, nor the luxury to afford a decent pump to make things at least tolerable.

kris

Posted at 7:27 PM on August 5, 2010

Good for you.

I do think that many think formula is comparable to breastmilk, so they take the easy way out. Get up, pump, and deal with it. I’m NOT saying it’s easy. But do what you can. Perhaps if people were more educated on how much exactly it is better than formula then it may be more of a priority to these women. And we should inform other mothers, not necessarily PUSH our opinions onto them, but enlighten. And seeing as you are such an experienced mother, maybe speak up more to new mothers :)

gbtw

Posted at 7:44 PM on August 5, 2010

of course, the easiest way out would be to stay at home and be able to nurse! it was that gd pump that i came to despise! nursing, i loved. my daughter is in daycare, and she is frankly the healthiest one there and almost never gets sick even when the other kids come down with stuff- it’s no coincidence that she was also breastfed longer than any of the other kids. so yah, educating is definitely a good solution for those that don’t appreciate the vast difference between breast milk and formula. (in my mother’s era, her doctor told her to stop nursing because he said she was passing her nervousness to the baby and making the baby upset.) during the period that i was still nursing my girl, there was also that scare b/c the chinese were putting some sort of filler in their powdered milk to fool inspectors about the quality- at least a couple children died from formula tainted by the poisonous powdered milk (not in this country). i was never more happy to have almost never used formula! but, yes, you see my point, i see yours… nursing is best and we should all do our best to give that big present to our child!

krista

Posted at 7:09 PM on August 5, 2010

amen

krista

Posted at 7:11 PM on August 5, 2010

amen to what kris said…

Jess

Posted at 7:54 PM on August 5, 2010

“Kris” seems to be a bit ignorant in the world of formula. It’s not so cut and dry with breastfeeding – with some women it is medically impossible. It shouldn’t be law – women have fought long and hard to be able to make their own decisions. The literature is there and available for women who choose to seek it – we shouldn’t make any woman do anything that they do not want to do for whatever reason they have. It’s really only the business of the women involved! I have very healthy intelligent children and they were formula fed from 2 months old. When that’s what is available in the form of nutrition to kids who cannot be breastfed then it is the best thing for them!

Cricket

Posted at 9:17 PM on August 5, 2010

Formula feeding is for the ignorant? What makes you such a genius? There are women who physically can not breastfeed and there are mothers who adopt babies. Gisele is just trying to brag about not having to wear maternity clothes and having her baby at home with no drugs and no pain. She stated that brestfeeding helped her get her figure back and that’s probably a big reason why she did it. I heard she only breastfed for a few weeks. Besides, there are chemicals everywhere! You know what’s not good for babies? For their father to run off with a dingy supermodel before they are even borne!!

ragdoll

Posted at 4:46 PM on August 5, 2010

@ and keep judgments to herself.

do the same.

gbtw

Posted at 4:57 PM on August 5, 2010

i do keep child rearing judgments to myself. again, your comment makes no sense. perhaps if you were a bit more articulate we could have a dialogue about whatever it is that bothers you about my post.

ragdoll

Posted at 5:01 PM on August 5, 2010

oh they do but you are so full of anger and hate that you just can see it. i shouldn’t have wasted my time. bye.

scarla

Posted at 6:52 PM on August 5, 2010

What bothers me about your post gbtw is that I believe that you must realize that BF’s post is a big pile of made-up BS. It’s quite clear that her self-righteous anger isn’t at all sincere.

gbtw

Posted at 7:10 PM on August 5, 2010

lol… just seeing this. i wrote what i thought on this topic to your post above. i know totally what you’re saying tho about being “played” to post— but, i’m going to give bonnie the benefit of the doubt on this one b/c she has four kids and i only have one! if i had to pump for four kids, i might be a little more angry about giselle… i mean, i honestly don’t care what she says and don’t feel angry about this topic (contrary to the anger and hate post about me), b/c i just find it all stupid. i was more annoyed about moms in general judging other moms that are just struggling to get through the difficult early stages of parenting… well, it’s all difficult, but i was so exhausted in that first year i could barely walk and chew gum.

krista

Posted at 7:12 PM on August 5, 2010

no offense but it seems you post a lot for someone who doesn’t care lol.

gbtw

Posted at 7:23 PM on August 5, 2010

lol… i care about explaining myself and care about typing what i mean! i care about the issue of judging other moms who are doing their best- what i don’t really care about is giselle’s opinion. that’s what i meant. see, sometimes it takes me a lot of words to say what i mean… also, i’m a fast typer. :)

ragdoll

Posted at 4:44 PM on August 5, 2010

@ NEVER would i have pushed my opinions on everyone else

then why are you doing it here?

gbtw

Posted at 4:56 PM on August 5, 2010

your comment makes no sense. i am not pushing my child rearing opinions on here or anywhere else.

gbtw

Posted at 4:28 PM on August 5, 2010

i agree with everything you say, and reading it was making me quite annoyed with her, but frankly- she’s an idiot, and we never thought differently. i don’t really care what she says b/c usually it just highlights how ignorant she is. (i didn’t know she was a liar, too- no pain with no drugs, please.) what gets me the most, actually, is when new moms act like they know it all. (any mom know it all is annoying, but a new one is the worst!) i can guarantee i know much more than giselle re raising a child, and did even when my child was only 7 months (b/c i have a brain and extensively researched all and read books and asked opinions!)… however, NEVER would i have pushed my opinions on everyone else or expected that i was the most knowledgeable! kendra was passing judgment on kate goselin, too, and i found that equally offensive. if a mom is doing the best she can, and loving her kids, another mom should appreciate that and keep judgments to herself.

Bubbles

Posted at 3:33 PM on August 5, 2010

Common sense is not a requirement for modeling. Isn’t she the nitwit who announced to the world that her husband’s child from his first marriage was 100% hers? As I recall, the child’s mother disagreed.

Marie

Posted at 3:31 PM on August 5, 2010

Gisele is entitled of an opinion and yes breastfeeding is good for your child.

nene