In honor of thespian Amanda Bynes’ early retirement, HollywoodLife.com’s Andy Swift takes a look back at a career that touched us all.
Shock. Disbelief. Confusion. These are just a few of the many emotions that invaded my head space this weekend when Amanda Bynes, 24, announced her retirement. “Being an actress isn’t as fun as it may seem,” Amanda tweeted June 19. “I don’t love acting anymore so I’ve stopped doing it.”
Let’s take a look back at some of Amanda’s greatest roles to truly grasp the handprint she left on our hearts:
- Amanda got her start on Nickelodeon’s sketch comedy show All That, but her career really caught fire in 1999 when she was blessed with her own spin-off, The Amanda Show! Who could forget such timeless characters as big-toothed Courtney, or the Amanda-obsessed Penelope Taynt? (Yes… Taynt.)
- A guilty pleasure of mine, 2002′s What I Like About You was Amanda’s second shot at TV stardom. The sitcom, which also co-starred Jennie Garth as Amanda’s overprotective older sister, lasted four seasons on The WB and is largely responsible for unleashing Nick Zano into the world. Haylie Duff thanks you, Amanda.
- Not since Robin Williams in 1993′s Mrs. Doubtfire have I seen an actor play a he-she with as much raw conviction as Amanda did in 2006′s She’s the Man. In fact, she was so convincing as both Viola and her twin brother Sebastian, I dare say even co-star Channing Tatum must have questioned his own sexuality at one point. ‘Twas a hell of a wig, Amanda.
- Amanda’s latest, greatest role was that of Penny Pingleton in 2007′s Haispray. What began as merely a skinny sidekick to that big girl who used to work at Coldstone was made into a truly standout character thanks to Amanda’s comedic prowess and surprising vocals. Plus, she made it through the whole filming without giving a lapdance to director Adam Shankman. (Take THAT, Miley Cyrus!)
R.I.P. Amanda Bynes’ career (1996-2010)
HollywoodLifers, feel free to share your favorite Amanda roles below. How do you feel about her surprising decision to retire early?
— Andy Swift
Check Out the Latest on Hollywood’s Newest Acting Retiree, Amanda Bynes!
- Amanda Bynes Announces Retirement From Acting Via Twitter!
- Amanda Bynes Tweets About Rumored BF, Kid Cudi: ‘Turns Out I Prefer Chocolate Over Vanilla’
- Just How Well Do You Know Amanda Bynes?