Joel Taylor, who starred on the popular show ‘Storm Chasers,’ has allegedly died of a drug overdose at just 38 years old. Here’s everything you need to know about him.
Joel Taylor left this world much too soon, and he’s being mourned by friends, family, fans and the storm chasing community. Here are five things to know about the former Discovery Channel documentary star.
1. Joel officially became a Storm Chaser in 2008. He joined the cast of the Discovery Channel show while it was in its second season, and stayed with the team from the website TornadoVideos.Net (TVN) until the series was canceled in 2012.
2. He grew up in Elk City, Oklahoma. Joel was therefore familiar with Tornado Alley, and experienced many severe storms and tornadoes as a kid. He attended University of Oklahoma, where he studied meteorology.
3. Joel’s cause of death is possibly a drug overdose. News broke on Jan. 24 that he died “suddenly” on Tuesday, Jan. 23, and a rep for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Harmony of the Seas told TMZ that “Taylor was found unresponsive in his cabin Tuesday and law enforcement was alerted when the boat arrived in San Juan, Puerto Rico.” Passengers on the ship tell the site that “drugs on the party boat were plentiful,” and Taylor “was partaking” in drugs like ecstasy and cocaine. His official cause of death is still unknown.
4. His former co-star and good friend Reed Timmer, posted a particularly touching message. “RIP my best friend and storm chasing partner, Joel Taylor. I am shocked and absolutely devastated by the loss of my incredible, caring friend,” he tweeted. So heartbreaking.
5. A storm chasing community called Team Western OK Chaser also shared their thoughts about Joel in a Facebook post. “Our community of Elk City and the Storm Chasing community lost a great guy today. Joel Taylor was truly an inspiration to myself and many who knew him. He was one of the most level headed chasers on the roads and truly a classy guy outside of chasing.”
Our hearts go out to Joel’s loved ones during this difficult time.
RIP my best friend and storm chasing partner, Joel Taylor. I am shocked and absolutely devastated by the loss of my incredible, caring friend. We chased so many intense storms, and I wish we could have just one more storm chase. I'll miss you forever, Joel. We lost a legend pic.twitter.com/htN45t8wik
— Reed Timmer (@ReedTimmerAccu) January 24, 2018
HollywoodLifers, you can leave your thoughts for Joel’s friends and family in the comments.