Facebook banned Christopher Cantwell, a white supremacist who matched at the Charlottesville rally. This man thinks Trump isn’t racist enough and white men must be polygamous to produce more white babies.
1. Facebook banned Christopher after he became the de facto face of the Charlottesville white nationalist rally. If anyone deserves credit for getting Christopher Cantwell, 36, banned from Facebook, it’s VICE News and Elle Reeve. She and VICE News Tonight went behind the scenes of the Charlottesville “Unite The Right” rally, putting the spotlight on Christopher and many other neo-Nazis, white nationalists and alt-righters. After Christopher seemingly became synonymous with violence that left 3 dead and many injured, Facebook removed his profile as well as a page connected with his podcast, Radical Agenda.
Facebook claimed that Christopher violated their policies against using the service for hate speech (though the timing with VICE’s report seems more than coincidental.) “I’m not surprised by almost any of this,” Christopher told TIME magazine in a phone interview, “because the whole thing we are complaining about here is that we are trying to express our views, and everybody is going through extraordinary lengths to make sure we are not heard.”
2. He’s an anti-Semite who blasted Donald Trump for letting Ivanka marry Jared. It seems the entire world condemned President Donald Trump, 71, for his incredibly weak response to the deadly violence that hit Charlottesville. While some accused Donald of defending the white nationalists, Christopher thinks the president isn’t racist enough, per Forward. When asked what kind of leader he wants, Christopher said he envisions “someone like Donald Trump but who does not give his daughter [Ivanka Trump] away to a Jew. I don’t think you can feel about race like I do and watch that [Jared] Kushner bastard walk around with that beautiful girl.”
3. He once called on all white men to engage in polygamy. The views of this white supremacist are what you expect. Chris thinks non-white people are more prone to violence and have lower IQs; he thinks Jewish people spread communism; and he once insisted that all white men should practice polygamy, marrying as many white women as possible to produce a Caucasian baby boom. “[My] goal here is normalize racism,” he told Hatewatch.
4. He’s from an upscale neighborhood in Long Island. As a reminder that not all white supremacists speak with a southern accent, Christopher grew up in Stony Brook, New York, a hamlet in Long Island’s Suffolk County, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Despite the “rich assh*les” he said he went to high school with, Christopher grew up poor. His father, an air traffic controller, lost his job when President Ronald Reagan fired more than 11,00 members of the air traffic controllers union in 1981.
5. He was once ran for Congress. In 2009, Christopher ran for the U.S. House of Representatives as a Libertarian. However, he was busted for a DWI during his campaign. That, and failing to get enough signatures so he could appear on the ballot, sunk his campaign. He took a plea deal on the DWI and served 28-days in jail. In addition to that offense, he pleaded guilty to 5th degree criminal possession of stolen property, 4th degree criminal possession of a weapon and driving while intoxicated in 2000. He was sentenced to six months in jail, serving four before being released.
Do you think Facebook was right in banning Christopher, HollywoodLifers?