Allow me to take a break from cheering for Milo Ventimiglia and Millie Bobby Brown to talk about the craziest outcomes from the Emmy nominations. First thing’s first: Where was ‘The Leftovers?’
Shemar Moore and Anna Chlumsky announced the Emmys nominees on July 13, and we couldn’t help but notice some missing names — and be pleasantly surprised by others. The 69th annual Emmy Awards are set to air Sunday, September 17 on CBS. But first, let’s give some superlatives for this year’s nominees:
– Milo Ventimiglia: We all knew that This is Us would get some Emmys love (11 nominations!), and I couldn’t be happier that Milo was part of that, landing a nod in the Drama Actor category alongside Sterling K. Brown. The show also was nominated for Drama Series; Chrissy Metz is up for Supporting Actress; and Gerald McRaney, Brian Tyree Henry and Denis O’Hare were all nominated. Ron Cephas Jones is nominated for Supporting Actor
– Stranger Things: Ok, I’m not surprised at all that it landed the Drama Series category, and maybe a few others — but 18?! Killing. It. Netflix. My favorite surprises here are David Harbour for Supporting Actor and Shannon Purser for Guest Actor. Now that is #JusticeForBarb.
– Big Little Lies : So much love! There were 16 nominations for the limited series, including nods for all of the women and Alexander Skarsgård.
Most Disappointing Snubs
– Carrie Coon: the drama category is a tough one to get into. With The Crown, Westworld, This is Us, The Handmaid’s Tale, etc., I have to say I somewhat understand that The Leftovers was missing from the category. However, Carrie Coon getting a nod for Fargo and not The Leftovers does. not. make. sense. Ann Down luckily was nominated for Guest Actress for The Leftovers.
– Justin Theroux: How, how, how did he not get any recognition. Yes, as you can tell I’m very bitter that The Leftovers didn’t get (barely) any love.
– Bates Motel: Both Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga were left out of the Emmy nomination list, and needless to say, I’m not amused.
– Rupert Friend: How Homeland continues to get missed repeatedly is baffling, but this year’s transformation of Rupert? Come. On.
– Winona Ryder: The television academy could give Stranger Things 18 nominations, but not recognize Winona? While I’m thrilled about Millie Bobby Brown and the various members mentioned above, Winona’s erratic character of Joyce deserves more.
What was the biggest snub/surprise in your opinion?