Donald Trump seems to have found his choice to replace FBI director James Comey on May 18! Jake Tapper reports that the president confirmed that Joe Lieberman is his top choice for the vital role. Here are 5 things to know about him.
Donald Trump, 70, may have chosen his new FBI director after firing James Comey. On May 18, Jake Tapper, 48, reported that “POTUS says he is close to a decision on FBI Director, and said yes when asked if Joe Lieberman was his top choice.” So, who is Lieberman, 75? We’ve put together a list of 5 things to know about the man who may soon be in charge of the FBI. See pics of Lieberman, here.
1. He’s an Independent. Interestingly, Lieberman is not a Republican. He was a Democrat for years, serving as a Connecticut senator from 1989 to 2013. He also ran on the Democratic ticket for vice president in 2000 beside Al Gore. Now he does not identify with either party, and considers himself an Independent.
2. He’s an advocate for the LGBT community. He introduced and fought for the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act of 2010, which allows gay and lesbian members of the armed forces to be open about their sexuality, rather than being forced to hide it.
3. He has ties to Bernie Sanders. Lieberman was roommates with Richard Sugarman while attending Yale University. Sugarman went on to the Bernie’s top adviser in the 2016 presidential election.
4. He’s Jewish. Lieberman calls himself an “observant” Jew. He refused to campaign on the Jewish Sabbath, and keeps a kosher home, but isn’t as strict as an Orthodox Jew. His son Matt was once the Head of School of Greenfield Hebrew Academy in Atlanta, GA.
5. He’s responsible for the creation of the Department of Homeland Security. Lieberman was Chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee in 2002, and pushed to create a new Department of Homeland Security. He introduced legislation to reorganize the federal government one month after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, hoping to better protect the American people from terrorism and natural disasters.
HollywoodLifers, do you think Lieberman will be a good choice? Let us know!