This is so sad. A young college student who was just having some fun with her friends in a pancake eating contest when something went terribly, terribly wrong. Here’s what we know.
Caitlin Nelson, 20, never thought that participating in a game could leave her for dead. On Thursday, March 30, Caitlin was rushed to a Connecticut hospital after competing in a pancake eating contest at Sacred Heart University. Caitlin choked during the competition which led to the hospitalization, but sadly she couldn’t be saved. She died three days later on Sunday, April 2, reports NJ.com.
According to the report, paramedics were unable to open Caitlin’s airway back up and get her oxygen flowing again. Food was removed from her throat on the scene, but it’s unclear how long Caitlin went without oxygen or being able to breathe. It is also being reported that Caitlin had a number of food allergies, though it has not been confirmed if any of them were the cause to the tragic accident.
Sunday night, a candlelit vigil was held on the Sacred Heart campus and the church held a mass in Caitlin’s honor. The school posted a beautiful picture from the vigil online, and you can see that hundreds of students lined the streets to remember Caitlin.
As a student, Caitlin reportedly majored in social work. It’s also being reported that she volunteered her time to help and support trauma victims. It sounds like Caitlin was a very special young girl whose candle was blown out much too soon.
HollywoodLifers — Our thoughts remain with Caitlin’s family, friends and sorority sisters during this difficult time.