Chicago police have charged a 14-year-old boy in the horrific gang rape of a girl, 15, that was broadcast over Facebook Live last month. Authorities are still however searching for 5 or 6 other assailants. But worst of all, the teen survivor will ‘need help for a long time,’ according to a case detective.
Police have officially arrested a 14-year-old boy in connection with the livestreamed rape of a 15-year-old girl on Mar. 19 in Chicago. The teen was charged late on Apr. 1, and authorities said on Apr. 2 that other offenders are still on the loose – including an adult! The boy, whose named was not released by police because of his age, was charged with aggravated criminal assault, manufacturing of child pornography, and dissemination of child pornography, according to Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielimi.
— DEPLORABLE BETSY (@eeynouf) April 2, 2017
Police have also obtained an arrest warrant for a 15-year-old male, whom they expected at the time “to be arrested soon,” Area Central Detective Commander Brendan Deenihan said during a news conference. Apparently, the investigation is moving slowly because the survivor of the attack, a 15-year-old girl, is having difficulty discussing the ordeal she went through. “She’s extremely traumatized from this event, obviously,” Brendan said. “…She’s gonna need help for a long time after this.”
The 14-year-old boy was one of the attackers seen in the Facebook Live video, which was watched by about 40 people who never called 911. More arrests are expected to be made however as investigators slowly get the survivor’s story and compare it with the video. “We have a very good idea of who these individuals are, but like I said, working with this victim at this time is very, very slow, and she doesn’t want to talk about what occurred for obvious reasons,” Brendan explained.
But what Brendan could share is that the girl apparently knew one of her attackers. “I don’t want to go too much into detail, but I’m going to say she was lured into the residence, and then from there she was not allowed to leave and she didn’t consent to what occurred,” he said.
What’s super disconcerting is that police didn’t even know about the attack until the girl’s mother approached Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson on Mar. 20 and showed him the video. Eddie couldn’t help chastising those who had watched the Facebook clip during his press conference on Apr. 2. “It just disgusts me that people can look at those videos and not pick up the phone and not dial 911,” he said.
“The young men responsible should be ashamed of themselves. They’ve humiliated themselves, humiliated their families, and now they’re going to be accountable for what they did,” Eddie added. The girl’s mom said that her daughter had even received threats after the attack, with local kids showing up at the family’s home looking for her. The family has since been relocated for safety.
Tell us, HollywoodLifers — can you believe something so awful could happen? How do you feel about people not calling 911 when they saw the video?