Uh-oh, Apple fans. Your iPhones might just be as dangerous as a Samsung Galaxy Note, as one iPhone user shared a video of her phone ‘blowing up’ into a charred mess. The threat is so real that Apple is looking into it!
“So, my iPhone 7 blew up this morning,” Brianna Olivas tweeted on Feb. 22, sharing the video of her smoking phone. “[I] was not even using it, literally no explanation for this.” The video, recorded by her boyfriend, showed Brianna’s rose gold iPhone 7 on her bathroom counter, smoking and melting away.
She says the trouble began the day before when her phone, bought from Sprint in January, wouldn’t turn on, according to Mashable. After taking it to the Apple Store, where employees ran tests and said the phone was fine.
“The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head,” she told Mashable in a Twitter direct message, “my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser. He went [to the] restroom … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise.”
So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning 🤗 was not even using it, literally no explanation for this pic.twitter.com/sQ8CJt4Y69
— Bree✨ (@briannaolivas_) February 23, 2017
“By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire,” she wrote, “he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom … as soon as he threw it in the restroom is [it] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.” She says she always used the standard iPhone charger, while Internet detectives speculate that her liquid-filled iPhone case may have contributed to the fire, but there’s no evidence to support that.
With this smoking iPhone creating traumatic flashbacks to the exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7, Apple is not taking any chances. “We are in touch with the customer and looking into it,” a spokesperson for the company told Mashable. Apple says that they have the phone (Brianna turned it over to them) and are conducting tests.
Brianna’s phone is not the only iPhone to turn into small inferno. Mat Jones, an Australian Man, said he left his iPhone 7 under clothes in his car while he was surfing in Oct. 2016, according to Yahoo. He returned to find the vehicle on fire, and Mat blamed his iPhone for causing the destruction.
Hopefully, this is an isolated incident. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 S had to be discontinued and recalled after the phone experience worldwide batter failure. The phone used a highly flammable liquid in its battery, and if the phone was squeezed too tightly, it could create an electrical short. Electricity plus flammable liquid equals pocket-sized firebomb. Fingers crossed for all the iPhone users that they’re not about to experience a similar recall.
What do you think caused Brianna’s phone to turn into a smoking mess, HollywoodLifers?