No one thought Donald Trump would actually become president, so many celebrities jokingly (or not so jokingly) said they would leave the country if he did. Now that he is now the President-Elect, people like Amy Schumer and Miley Cyrus have decided to stay and help.
1. Amy Schumer. Amy has been vocal about how much she hates Donald, saying “I will move to Spain or somewhere. It’s beyond my comprehension if Trump won. It’s just too crazy,” which she now claims was said “in jest.” Her new plan? Stay and fight. “Today we grieve tomorrow we begin again.”
2. Samuel L. Jackson. Sam said he would be “moving my black ass to South Africa,” to Jimmy Kimmel, but now he’s saying he’s not going anywhere, “When you learn the difference between My Actual Opinion & A Kimmel Skit… Maybe we can talk. Till then, I’m Barbed Wire Up Your Asses!!”
3. Miley Cyrus. Miles originally called him a “f*cking nightmare” and said she would “move out da country” if he won the presidency, but now that that’s true, she shared a video with a more positive approach. “Donald Trump, I accept you. This hurts to say, but I even accept you as President of the United States, and that’s fine, because, now, I want to be a hopeful hippie. I want to be hopeful that you will step in, too…treat people with love, treat people with compassion, and I will do the same for you. Anything you every want to talk about or understand… if you want to open your mind and open your heart, I would love to give you the key.” That’s a good plan!
4. Lena Dunham. Lena once said she “loves” Canada and would “100 percent” move there if Donald became president, but now she’s changing her tune. “The work isn’t done,” she wrote in a letter. “It is only beginning. We will stun ourselves with what we are capable of.” You go girl!
5. Cher. Cher insisted that “IF HE WERE TO BE ELECTED, IM MOVING TO JUPITER 😖” on Twitter in 2015, but now that that’s the case, it looks like she’s staying put. She was seen at a New York protest on Nov. 9, so it looks like she’s getting to work instead!
6. Whoopi Goldberg. Whoopi insists that her “maybe it’s time for me to move, ” comment on The View in Jan. was taken out of context, and she’s going to stay home and fight. “I’m sorry to disillusion you, but I’m not leaving the country that I was born and raised in,” she explained. “My family spent years trying to get the vote and trying to do all the things that we as Americans are allowed to do. We’re allowed to protest. We’re allowed to stand up and say we disagree. You don’t get to tell me that I’m going. You don’t get to make that decision for me. I’m staying.”
7. Chelsea Handler. Chelsea originally said she bought “a house in another country just in case,” and took it a step further by saying“So all these people that threaten to leave the country and then don’t — I actually will leave that country.” Well, now she’s not. “Yesterday, my staff reminded me that platforms and voices like mine are needed more than ever; leaving the country is quitting,” she tweeted. “#keepfightin”
8. Ne-Yo. “Me and Drake gonna be neighbors (in Canada) if Donald Trump becomes president,” Ne-Yo told TMZ before the election, but now he’s realized there’s a reason to stay. “I love how all these trump supporters are on my time line suddenly. Think I’ll stick around just to piss em’ all off.”
9. Bryan Cranston. Bryan said he’d “definitely move” if Donald won the election, but now he’s changed his tune. “Although shocked and disappointed by the outcome, I hope the pres-elect will work to unify our wounded country. I sincerely wish him success.”
10. Raven-Symone. Raven was considering moving to Canada, but she decided there’s too much work to be done here. “We need to figure out a plan citizens, we can’t keep looking crazy in front of the entire world if we keep wanting to act like a big boss, cuz now we really look like bullies.”
There’s still no word from Barbra Streisand, Keegan-Michael Key or Jon Stewart who also threatened to move. Who knows? Maybe they’re already in Canada by now.
HollywoodLifers, what do you think about the stars who stayed? Flaky or the right thing to do? Share your thoughts with us!