So devastating! A 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck Italy on Aug. 23, and left at least 63 people dead, four towns in shambles, and survivors buried alive — including kids who reportedly can be heard screaming beneath the destruction. Rescue teams as well as civilians have been scrambling to uncover them, some even digging with their bare hands!
Horror struck central Italy on the morning of Aug. 23 when a 6.2-magnitude earthquake jolted sleeping towns and destroyed homes, buildings, and even lives. As more information is uncovered surrounding the tragic events, it has become even more clear just how devastating this natural disaster was — and continues to be. In fact, at least 63 people are dead — two of them babies — and countless children are believed to be trapped under the rubble, according to Daily Mail.
VIDEO: A man and a girl are pulled from earthquake rubble in Amatrice, Italy. https://t.co/6JVqPxxISN
— The Associated Press (@AP) August 24, 2016
Rescuers in the areas that were hit hardest — the towns of Amatrice and Accumoli — spoke on Aug. 24 of hearing children’s screams from the rubble and locals were even spotted frantically digging with their BARE hands to try and save their loved ones. We can’t even imagine what these poor families must be going through right now.
“There are people under the rubble… There’s been a landslide and a bridge might collapse,” the mayor of Amatrice, Sergio Pirozzi, said. “The situation is dramatic, there are many dead. I cannot give a toll for now because rescue efforts are under way and it is very, very difficult.” So far, rescuers have uncovered a family of four — including an eight-month-old baby — all dead. The baby’s brother, a 9-year-old, was also reported dead.
A newborn baby was found dead as well after being pulled from a family home in the center of Arquata del Tronto. “Now that daylight has come, we see that the situation is even more dreadful than we feared,” the mayor of Accumoli, Stefano Petrucci, said. “With buildings collapsed, people trapped under the rubble, and no sound of life.”
Recently rescued from the destruction, two young brothers, ages four and seven, were pulled from ruins in the village of Arquata del Tronto after hiding under a bed with their grandmother as the building fell down. However, some 100 people are reportedly still unaccounted for in the area. Unfortunately, the quake hit during the areas’ busy seasons when the populations of these places are overwhelmed by vacationers.
Our thoughts are with all of those effected by this devastating natural disaster. HollywoodLifers, share your thoughts for the victims of the Italian earthquake in the comments.