This guy is insane! Luke Aikins chose, of his own free will, to jump out of an airplane sans-parachute on July 30 as part of the Fox ‘Heaven Sent’ special. So, we know he must be crazy, but here are 5 other facts about the interesting daredevil.
1. He’s a world-renowned skydiver. That’s right! Luke Aikins, 42, is not just some random dude who decided to risk his life on July 30. As a matter of fact, he’s jumped out of planes over 18,000 times. That’s right, 18 THOUSAND. We would def call him an expert at this point.
2. The freefall actually wasn’t his idea. “Like any normal, sane person I said, ‘Thank you, but no thank you. I have a wife and a son and I’ve got a life to live,'” Luke told PEOPLE Magazine about his original reaction to the suggestion. “Then, two weeks went by and I kept waking up in the middle of the night thinking, if somebody said you had to do this, how could it be done?”
3. He’s not exactly fearless. We would think he was nuts if he wasn’t at least a little nervous about the jump, and he is! “If I wasn’t nervous I would be stupid. We’re talking about jumping without a parachute, and I take that very seriously. It’s not a joke,” Aikins told The Daily Mail.
4. The net catching him is veryyy small. You’d think you’d need a net the size of a small town to catch someone falling out of the sky without a parachute, but Luke will be (hopefully) landing in a net the size of just one football field. Yikes!
5. He’s a family man. You’d think a guy pulling stunts like this would have nothing to lose, but Luke actually has a little boy and a wife who is totally supportive of his kooky goals. “Today i am reminded how lucky I am. I saw my beautiful wife carrying giant batteries helping set up my guidance lights, packing my parachute jumping along side me on a test jump, riding in the helicopter checking the trap. I truly could not do this without my partner,” he shared on Insta. So sweet!
HollywoodLifers, what do you think about Luke’s dangerous jump? Share your thoughts with us!