Fans are mourning the tragic death bullfighter Victor Barrio after he was killed on July 9, when a bull gored him to death in the ring. It’s such a sad story, especially because Victor was such a great guy. Take a look at 5 things you should know about him, below.
Matador Victor Barrio, 29, was killed by a 1200 lb. bull during the Feria del Angel competition on July 9. He was gored to death on live TV, which is something viewers will never forget seeing. But in celebration of Victor’s life, we’d like to provide you a list of things to help you remember him in a positive way.
Take a look at a list of things you should know about Victor, below.
1. Victor was married. His widow, Raquel Sanz, 32, spoke out after his death, but said she has no words. “Thanks to everyone. I cannot reply to you, I have no words. My life has gone, I have no strength, although I have a lot of thanks,” she wrote on Twitter, according to Daily Mail. “Thanks Sepulveda. Our Sepulveda. Yours and Mine’ and telling her late husband in an emotional message: ‘I’m sure that where you are you have a privileged view,” she added.
2. Victor was just 29 at the time of his death.
3. Victor is the first Matador to die in the ring this century. Bullfighting is a controversial sport, but deaths in the ring are rare. The last Matador to die in Spain was Jose Cubero in 1985, according to Independent.
4. Victor worked as a bullfighter fox six years at Plaza de Las Ventas bullring, where he died, according to CNN.
5. Victor started out as an apprentice matador in 2010.
Our thoughts go out to Victor’s family and friends during this difficult time.