Summer is in full swing, and it’s time to rock an intricate braided ‘do so you can look cute but still be practical in the heat! Try one of these four gorgeous braided styles using our expert tips.
Don’t be afraid to try a new braid! You deserve to look your best during the summer, and we’re here to help you celebrate way past July 4th with a super cute braided style. Whether you want to try a crown braid like Shay Mitchell, a fishtail like bombshell Blake Lively, an braided bun like Jennifer Lopez or an inverted French braid like Jessica Alba, we have expert advice on how you can easily recreate the style at home.
Top hairstylist Breno Miranda of Licari Cutler Salon in New York City has the exact how-to for four amazing braids. Check it out!
1. Move most of your front hair over to one side and pick up two small pieces of hair at the hairline.
2. Twist them so the top piece moves to the bottom, and the bottom moves to the top. Add some hair to the lower strand.
3. Twist them again. This is the technique you’ll use all around your head, adding some hair to the lower strand, then changing position. Try to keep the twisted hair rather tight and not too loose. When you reach the other side, continue for as long as you have hair left to incorporate
4. Make a rope braid with the end of the hair. Twist your two strands to the left and then around each other to the right.
5. Secure the end with a small elastic. Hide the end under the hair and secure with bobby pins. Pull on the twisted hair if you want more volume.
1. Divide your hair into two even sections. You will have a left piece and a right piece.
2. Take a thin strand of hair from the left section. Gather it from the outside. It should be no thicker than ½ inch.
3. Pull the thin strand up and across the left section. Move it towards the right one. Then tuck the thin strand under the right section. It will now become part of the right section.
4. Gently tug on the two sections to tighten them. Move your hands up as far as they can go. The tighter you make your braid, the better; you can always tousle it for a messier look later.
5. Keep alternating sides until you reach the end of your hair. Leave at least an inch of your hair unbraided so that you can tie it off.
1. Tie hair in a ponytail as high as you want your bun to be.
2. Separate 4 equal strands from the ponytail. Make a rope braid from the 4 strands.
3. Cross the first 2 strands in between the other two, then cross the remaining two in between the first two hair strands. Do this until there is no more hair remaining.
4. Wrap the braid around, then tuck the ends to finish the braided knot. Secure with pins.
Inverted French Braid
1. Section off a horizontal strand of hair at the nape hairline. Separate three equal strands. Hold two strands in one hand, and the third strand in the other.
2. Make a traditional braid by crossing the “right” strand over to the center. Then, cross the “left” strand from over to the center. Repeat until you’ve made a few rows of a traditional braid.
3. Work your way all the way up to a point at the top of the crown of the head and either pin the hair or tie it into a ponytail to incorporate the braid.
HollywoodLifers, will you try one of these ‘dos this summer? Tell us which style you’d like to pull off!