Oh no! After attempting to scare her friends at a sleepover, an Alabama teen found herself stuck inside a Barney head — for 45 minutes! But luckily, for your entertainment, her pals captured all of the craziness on Snapchat. Check out the hilarious vid here!
Fifteen year-old Darby Risner‘s hilarious prank went horribly wrong when she ended up getting herself trapped inside a costume –specifically the head of Barney the big purple dinosaur! In fact, the incident escalated SO much that the poor girl had to be rescued by local firefighters — yikes!
“The head was closing in on me,” Darby told Al.com of the incident. “It was like a stuck-in-a-small-place-and-can’t-get-out-panicking.” Sounds scary, right? And unfortunately, it wasn’t supposed to go down like this. See, Darby’s whole reason for putting the character head on was to scare her FRIENDS — not herself!
“I want[ed] to scare my friends, so I put it on and waited for them to come downstairs,” she revealed to The Washington Post. “It didn’t scare them.” Well at least now they can all look back and laugh at the incident — especially since her buds filmed the whole thing on Snapchat!
It all began on the night of June 19 when Darby and a group of her girlfriends were at a sleepover. While waiting for her friends to come downstairs, she spotted the Barney head, which had been purchased several years ago. “She put the Barney head on and when she sat down on the sofa to wait for them, it dropped, her mother, Audrey Shannon, revealed.
“It slipped over her shoulders. When they finally came down, she got up and realized it had dropped so low, she couldn’t get it off. It was digging into her.” Her four friends and the parents of one of the friends then tried to get Darby out of the head, but It wouldn’t budge!
They even slathered her arms in Vaseline, but it still stayed stuck. “It gave her short little Barney arms since it was nearly at her elbows,” Audrey laughed. “It was hilarious. She couldn’t see, so they had to guide her.”
Darby started feeling a little nauseated and more than a little warm, which is when they decided to bring some real professionals on board. “I kind of gasped in fear like, ‘Oh no, what did I do?”’ Darby said. Soon everyone was piled into a minivan and headed to the fire station.
Trussville Fire Lt. Vince Bruno, a 33-year veteran, was there when the gang paraded in. “When they walked in, you couldn’t help but start laughing,” he said. “We tried to be professional, and she was a little distraught, but we had to giggle about it.”
The firefighters also tried to pull off the head, but their efforts didn’t work either. “She’s so little that when they lifted the head, it lifted her off the ground so they had to hold down her feet,” Audrey said. “And with the Vaseline on her arms, they said it was like trying to wrestle a greased pig.”
Ultimately, they made some release cuts in the back of the head to relieve the pressure and remove Barney from Darby. “It was such a relief,” Darby said. “I have laughed about it.”
For the firefighters, it was a much-needed break from the types of calls they usually have to deal with. “That’s a first for me and it will probably be the last, but at least I know how to handle it if it happens again,” Vince said. “It’s something we’ll talk about for years to come.”
How hilarious was this prank gone wrong, HollywoodLifers? Sound off!