The toddler who faced a 400 pound Silverback gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo has been released from the hospital after surviving the horrifying ordeal. Doctors are hopeful about the injuries he sustained during the attack!
The four-year-old boy who shockingly snuck into, and then fell into, the Gorilla World exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo on May 28 has thankfully been released from the hospital. The unnamed child was rushed to the hospital immediately after being rescued for the habitat, where he was carried around by a 400 pound gorilla named Harambe. Read on for the details!
[hl_amazon_single url=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0531111695/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0531111695&linkCode=as2&tag=hollywoocom-20&linkId=4X4VSZ7WSSZLIIES” header=”READ” title=”Primates: Apes, Monkeys, and Prosimians”]
After he was rescued by zoo and fire officials and taken to a safe area at the zoo, the little boy was given a full trauma assessment and then rushed to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, according to District Fire Chief Marc Monahan. It was determined that the boy had serious, but non-life-threatening injuries. He was released from the hospital after just a few hours.
No details about the nature of his injuries, or the boy’s identity, have been released at this time. The disturbing situation unfolded when the toddler managed to sneak under a fence and through bushes into the Gorilla World exhibit when his mother was tending to his siblings. He then slipped and fell 10 feet into the habitat below, landing in the moat, where he was met by the curious, 17-year-old Silverback gorilla Harambe.
Disturbing footage from the incident shows the boy screaming as Harambe approaches him, and the gorilla dragging the boy through the water and away from the onlookers. While it’s not clear if Harambe was trying to attack the little boy, zoo officials were worried that the 400 pound ape could hurt or killed him. They made the gut wrenching decision to shoot Harambe in order to rescue the kid.
It’s a move that’s angered and devastated animal lovers. But the zoo’s director, Thane Maynard, has stood by the zoo’s emergency response team and their decision; using tranquilizer darts may not have worked on the ape, or may have worked too slowly, leaving the boy in danger. While it’s so wonderful to know that the child is safe, and home from the hospital, it’s heartbreaking that an endangered animal had to die.
HollywoodLifers, are you shocked that this little boy was able to get into the gorilla habitat? Tell us in the comments!