This is so terrifying. A Wisconsin high school prom turned deadly when a former student shot two students at the Antigo High School dance on April 23. Although the gunman only caused injuries, cops killed him after his shooting rampage.
What was supposed to be a night to remember turned out to be a night everyone will want to forget for Antigo High School’s students in Antigo, Wisc. Jackob E. Wagner, 18, opened fire outside of his school’s prom on April 23, leaving a male and female student injured. But before Jackob could carry on with his killing spree attempt, he was shot by authorities on the scene — and passed away just hours later.
As the unnamed male and female walked out of the dance, Jackob began to shoot, hitting each of them in the leg. Both students were immediately taken to the hospital for their gunshot wounds, with the girl later being released and the boy undergoing surgery for non-life-threatening injuries.
While it’s unclear what triggered Jackob to go on a shooting rampage at his prom, school officials say they don’t believe the two victims were targeted — rather, they figured he planned to open fire on the entire dance. In order to stop that from happening, police who were on the scene for security purposes almost immediately shot Jackob. Only two hours later, he was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Jackob was continuing to work on his diploma after failing to graduate last year, according to Interim district administrator Donald Childs, but a friend described him as a “good kid.” One of his former classmates named Emily Fisher told USA Today that he had been bullied since middle school, likely for poor hygiene, with students ganging up on him and sometimes also getting violent.
Prior to the shooting, Emily said that Jackob would often talk about guns and weapons, even making replicas in the art class the two had together. The 19-year-old told the outlet that she and her fellow students were always a bit skeptical of Jackob.
“Ever since we were younger, he was one of the kids you kind of watched out for,” Fisher explained to USA Today over the phone. “If someone was going to shoot the school, we thought it was going to be him.”
Authorities conducted a thorough search of Antigo High School following the incident, releasing a statement on April 24 guaranteeing that the school is safe to resume classes on April 25. There will be heightened security over the next few days as a precaution.
HollywoodLifers, send your thoughts to the students who were affected by this scary prom shooting.