Government officials were quick to call Nov. 8th’s alleged ‘UFO sighting’ as nothing more than a missile test, but not everyone’s buying it! Those who witnessed the bizarre event have some up with some conspiracy theories of their own, blaming the incident on everything from meteor showers to Donald Trump! Do you believe them?
California, Nevada and Arizona residents were were left stunned on Nov. 7 after a strange blue light was seen streaking across the sky. Was it a UFO? A meteor? Well, according to government officials, it was nothing more than a routine submarine missile test, but that hasn’t stopped some from coming up with their own rationalizations about the incident. From strange celestial happenings to yes, even Donald Trump, here are the five best conspiracy theories making their way around the Internet.
1. It was a UFO filled with aliens: Strange unidentified light in the sky? Of course, it’s the mothership coming to take over the planet! That was by far the most popular conspiracy theory among those who witnessed the bizarre light show happening across the Western sky. As many social media users pointed out, the UFO, which many immediately and frantically assumed to be an extraterrestrial spacecraft, appeared first as a brilliantly bright white light that could be seen from hundreds of miles away. Now, while that alone doesn’t prove an alien invasion, many pointed out that the UFO-shaped clouds were seen in South Africa the day after the L.A. sighting. Some were also suspicious over the fact that the government didn’t announce the missile test ahead of time, and it was conducted over a densely populated city rather than a deserted desert, as is typically the case.
I believe there are other living things in the universe… a UFO was spotted last night but the military claims it was missile test.
— Christian (@Lorchris3) November 8, 2015
@ObservingSpace ||if the Navy Would TEST A MISSILE NEAR A HUGE CITY I'm APPALLED. Cover up of a UFO, Watch The Videos, It hovers.
— kristen h (@kristenhinkson) November 8, 2015
— Zero Dark Radio (@ZeroDarkRadio) November 8, 2015
— Matt Wall of Sleep (@oldmanwall) November 8, 2015
2. The strange light was all part of the annual Taurid Meteor Shower: For the astronomy geeks out there, the alleged UFO sighting was actually a result of the annual Taurid meteor shower. An astronomer at Griffith Observatory told local broadcaster ABC7 that the phenomenon could be considered “normal” – and could be a “comet” passing as a precursor to the Taurid meteor shower, which will peak during the week of Nov. 8 to Nov. 14.
— ABC15 Arizona (@abc15) November 8, 2015
— Will Gater (@willgater) November 7, 2015
— Laura (@m1l1r) November 9, 2015
3. It was a cataclysmic occurrence: While some social media users agreed that there was definitely an explosion of some kind, a small group were convinced that it was a result of some violent natural act.
The ufo looks like a death of a star that the light finally has hit earth idk if it moved but there was clearly an explosion
— Troncat (@tr_ncat) November 8, 2015
— jay (@xkookypandax) November 8, 2015
4. It was a sign of the apocalypse: That’s right, prepare for zombies, earthquakes and oceans turned to blood! The freak light in the sky was a sign that world is quickly coming to its end. #DuckAndCover!
— Guitar Waala चरसी (@thesp7zoso) November 8, 2015
— Tara Price (@tarapriceless) November 8, 2015
5. It was all Donald Trump’s fault: Last but certainly not least, we have our favorite conspiracy theory: Donald Trump caused the whole thing! The GOP presidential hopeful was hosting Saturday Night Live that same night, and some felt that it was just too big a coincidence to ignore. Is Trump actually from another planet that sent him here to destroy us all? Well, it would certainly explain his bizarre, out-of-this-world hairdo!
ufo sighting and snl hosted by donald trump on the same day??? that isn't a coincidence wake up america!!
— heydi (@obriensnjh) November 8, 2015
— Alex Aguilar (@Team_Aguilar) November 8, 2015
Ya'll saw the UFO? Donald Trump was in there, hes an alien
— Government Secret™ (@GovSecret) November 8, 2015
UFO and Donald Trump hosting SNL on the same night… Coincidence? I think not
— Fiona (@FionaCioch) November 8, 2015
HollywoodLifers, do you believe the government’s missile test explanation, or are you on board with one of these conspiracy theories? Let us know in the comments below!
— Alyssa Montemurro