This is so sad. Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson lost his dog Brutus on Sept. 28 after the pup accidentally ate a deadly mushroom. See his heartbreaking goodbye below.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, 43, shared some tragic news on Instagram on Sept. 29. After his puppy Brutus had gotten into a patch of poisonous mushrooms while playing in the yard, he and girlfriend Lauren Hashian, 31, had to put the poor little dog to sleep. In addition to a sweet ode to Brutus, Dwayne shared an important message with fans after saying farewell to his puppy.
To inform fans of Brutus’ passing, Dwayne posted a picture of himself holding Brutus in what looks like a room in an animal hospital, with little Brutus wrapped in towels and an IV attached to one of his paws. Dwayne also shared a heartfelt message along with the photo.
“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus#WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime,” he wrote.
As if losing a dog isn’t heartbreaking enough, Dwayne had just gotten Brutus only three weeks prior to the tragic accident. He posted an Instagram to introduce Brutus and his brother Hobbs to fans, including a story about how he had saved Brutus from drowning in a pool. Sadly, this time, Dwayne’s heroic efforts couldn’t save Brutus after he ate the poisonous mushrooms.
Although Brutus was only in Dwayne’s life for a short time, he clearly meant a lot to Dwayne. Our thoughts are with him and Lauren as they grieve their little pup.
— Taylor Weatherby