James ‘Whitey’ Bulger was one of the most feared mobsters in Boston. That’s until he went on the run in 1994 and wasn’t captured until over a decade and a half later. Now his story is hitting the big screen starring Johhny Depp!
Johnny Depp, 52, is nearly unrecognizable in his portrayal of James “Whitey” Bulger, 86, in the drama Black Mass about the notorious mobster’s life. In 2013, nearly two years after his arrest, he was finally convicted in connection with 11 murders. He was also convicted on numerous racketeering charges during his years running the Winter Hill gang in South Boston. Here’s 5 fun facts about this colorful character:
1. For 12 of his 16 years on the run, he was Number Two on the FBI’s most wanted list. The only person more sought after than Whitey? Osama Bin Laden!
2. Bulger wasn’t captured until the ripe old age of 81. He’d been living in anonymity in a Santa Monica, California apartment complex with his longtime girlfriend for years undetected.
3. He apparently hates doing to the dentist. Despite making millions of dollars in his racketeering empire, he has a blackend front tooth that he never bothered to get fixed.
4. Bulger has no interest in seeing Johnny Depp portray him on the big screen. He refused to meet or even talk to Johnny while the actor was prepping to play him on the big screen.
5. He ended up getting transferred from a maximum security prison in Tucson Arizona in 2014 after having an improper relationship with a prison psychiatrist. He provided her with autographs and photos in exchange for a better cell! Apparently life in jail hasn’t changed his persuasive ways.
Hollywoodlifers, do you plan on seeing Black Mass this weekend?
— Beth Shilliday