Floyd Mayweather is gearing up to duke it out with on-the-rise fighter, Andre Berto, in what is guaranteed to be a seriously intense match. Before the two hit the ring, get to know Andre!
Andre Berto, 32, will face his stiffest competitor yet on Sept. 11, when he steps into the ring against iconic fighter, Floyd Mayweather, 38. Andre, who himself is already a two-time welterweight champion, is coming off a brutal shoulder injury, one which has arguably cost him a W in each of his last three fights. Needless to say, there’s a ton of pressure on the exciting competitor. Before you watch the two battle it out inside the Las Vegas MGM Grand, here are five facts about Andre!
1. He’s jumped around: Andre currently resides in the Bay Area, however, he grew up in Florida. Specifically, he was raised in Polk County, FL, where he first received his all-important training. Andre’s family, meanwhile, is from Haiti, and because of this, Andre was granted dual citizenship and is both a legal American and Haitian citizen.
2. He comes from a huge family: Andre is one of seven (!) children. No wonder he had to learn to fight!
3. He has bullies to thank for his career: Andre’s father first taught him how to fight as a response to the constant bullying he was receiving at school. Talk about a seriously valuable life lesson! Better yet, as he got older, Andre used boxing as a way to stay out of trouble.
4. Fighting skills run in the family: Andre’s brother, James Edson Berto, is a mixed martial artist who has also gone pro.
5. He has had his dreams crushed: Back in 2004, Andre was thought to be a sure thing to qualify for the U.S. Olympic team. However, during the trials, he was ultimately disqualified, for throwing Juan McPherson to the canvas.
So, now we know just a bit more about the dude taking on Mr. Mayweather! Who are you rooting for going into the fight? Team Andre or Team Floyd?
— Casey Mink