During the FIFA Women’s World Cup game on June 22, all eyes were on Alex Morgan, who scored a goal and brought Team USA ahead in the second half! Not surprisingly, she’s far from your ordinary soccer player. Here are five things you need to know about her!
The FIFA Women’s World Cup has been exciting from the moment it kicked on June 6 (no pun intended), but Alex Morgan, 25, gained favoritism when she scored a goal and brought Team USA ahead in the second half of the June 22 game against Colombia. And now, all eyes are on her! Want to know more about Alex? We’ve put together a list of facts you need to know!
1. Alex, who was born Alexandra Patricia Morgan, is an Olympic gold medalist. The United States team, for which she plays (obviously), beat Japan at the 2012 Summer Olympics after a grueling tournament.
2. Alex was raised with her two older sisters, in Diamond Bar, 45 minutes east of Los Angeles.
3. Alex began playing soccer at a really young age. And she started playing club soccer when she joined Cypress Elite at 14. Later, in high school, “she was a three-time all-league pick and was named All-American by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA),” according to her Wikipedia page.
4. In the 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, Alex posed in nothing but body paint.
5. Alex is an American Idol star… sort of. Alongside Abby Wambach, she appeared on American Idol to announce that the season 14 winner would record the official song for Fox’s coverage of the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Is Alex Morgan your favorite soccer star? Isn’t she so interesting? Vote in our poll and tell us how you feel!
— Chris Rogers