The ego has landed. The second part of Brian Williams’ interview with Matt Lauer aired on ‘NBC Nightly News’ June 19, and it was perhaps, even more explosive than the first. Find out all the details here!
Brian Williams, 56, wants everyone to know he is sorry. On June 19, Matt Lauer conducted a two-part interview with the former Nightly News anchor– his first since he confessed to lying on air. The first segment aired in the morning on Today, while the second was broadcast on the very program that Brian formerly hosted. In part two, Brian blamed his ego for falsifying stories.
On the June 19 episode of Nightly News, Brian told Matt that “it had to have been ego that made me think I had to be sharper, funnier, quicker than anybody else — put myself closer to the action, having been at the action in the beginning.”
When further asked about falsifying a story about events that happened while he covered the Iraqi war, Brian said, “I told the story correctly for years, before I told it incorrectly. I was not trying to mislead people. That to me is a huge difference here. After that incident, I tried and failed, as others have tried and failed, and why is it when we’re trying to say I’m sorry, that we can’t come out and say I’m sorry?”
Brian said he understands why people are upset, but that what has happened in the past has been “identified and torn apart by me. And has been fixed, has been dealt with. And going forward, there are going to be different rules of the road.” He then added, “I am sorry for what happened here. I am different as a result, and I expect to be held to a different standard.”
The interview comes right on the heels of NBC’s announcement that Brian would be returning to NBC. However, he will no longer host Nightly News. Rather, he has been assigned to MSNBC, while Lester Holt (who has been filling in for Brian) will take over as permanent host of Nightly.
Brian’s sit-down with Matt marks Brian’s first time speaking publicly about the events which got him suspended from NBC for six months. In the first segment, he admitted that the past few months have been “torture” for him. He also apologized for his actions. “I am sorry for what happened here,” Brian said. “I am different as a result, and I expect to be held to a different standard.”
Brian also said that he “told stories that were wrong,” and that his actions came from a “bad place… It had to have been ego that made me think I had to be sharper, funnier, quicker than anybody else.”
To reiterate, this whole firestorm began in February, when Brian admitted that he had “misremembered” events from Iraq. Brian had claimed that, back in 2003, the helicopter which Brian had been on had been shot at and the incident nearly cost him his life. The story turned out to be less than true, and Brian immediately stepped down, before he was suspended from NBC.
What did you think of Brian’s interview? Do you believe his apology?
— Casey Mink & Chris Rogers