Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Hip Hop Music Fans Gassed After Uncontrollable Riot Breaks Out At Hot 97 Summer Jam

Mon, June 8, 2015 10:54am EDT by 1 Comment
Hot 97 Summer Jam Riots
Courtesy of Katherine Mateo/Instagram

Oh no! Violence erupted at the Hot 97 Summer Jam concert in New Jersey and police were forced to use tear gas to break up the uncontrollable riots — find out exactly what happened.

What was meant to be a fun night of music by artists such as Chris Brown and Big Sean quickly turned into a nightmare for over 1,000 concert attendees on June 7 at MetLife stadium. Metal barriers were trampled when armed police started to unleash painful tear gas outside of the stadium. We have all the details on what happened to cause the violence.

Eye-witnesses blame the riots, which started around 7pm, on slow security preventing people with tickets from getting into the concert in time, Daily Mail reported. Officials, on the other hand, have a different story. They claim the disturbance was caused by people without tickets who were trying to sneak into the event for free by climbing over fences and forcing their way through security.

When police arrived to the scene, they tried to disperse the large crowd by setting off an ear-piercing alarm and when that didn’t work, they were forced to use the tear gas. “Barbaric — the way they treat our people is like animals,” a concertgoer told CBS. “If there was another concert this would’ve never happened.”

The annual concert was held by New York radio station Hot 97 and featured popular performers like Chris Brown, Kendrick Lamar, Trey Songz and Big Sean. Another concertgoer told Daily Mail, “Security was being extremely slow, and people were waiting to be let in. I had a ticket. Everyone had ticket, but security was being very slow and everyone got agitated.”

After the riots broke out, the gates to get inside were closed and no one else was allowed in. The extent of the injuries were not immediately clear, although one man was reportedly Maced and another was apprehended on the ground by police.

— Shira Benozilio