It’s finally here! FIFA Women’s World Cup kicks off on Saturday, June 6, in Edmonton, where Canada will take on China. It’s sure to be an exciting tournament, but here are five things you need to know before tuning in!
Edmonton, Canada is abuzz with soccer fever, as the city is hosting 11 matches during the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup, which kicks off today, June 6. The lines on the field have been painted and the players are totally psyched, but before the tournament starts, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
1. The opening ceremonies on June 6 start at 3:40 p.m. and include musical performances by Sarah McLachlan and duo Tegan and Sara. And if you’re planning to attend, tickets are still available. But you can also watch it on TV or live stream (find the link below).
2. Team Canada captain Christine Sinclair will be the one to watch on June 6. She will likely be Canada’s main attacker. Other players to watch include Diana Matheson, Sophie Schmidt, Melissa Tancredi, and 19-year-old Kadeisha Buchanan.
3. Right now, Canada is ranked 8th, while China is ranked 16th, among 24 teams. They’ll kick things off during the first game on June 6. Canada will then play New Zealand on June 11. To see the full schedule of matches, click here.
4. Expect to see a lot of people in the crowd, wearing hats and sunscreen. It’s going to be hot in Canada today!
5. You can watch each and every game of the Women’s World Cup here. FOX Soccer 2Go will have live streams of every match.
We’re so excited and can’t wait for things to kick off. Go Team USA! What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Will you be watching FIFA Women’s World Cup? Vote in our poll and tell us how you feel!
— Chris Rogers