Get your bets ready because the Belmont Stakes are just around the corner! The annual Thoroughbred horse race is the third and final leg of the Triple Crown, and this year, American Pharoah has a chance to take home the coveted crown — and a $1.5 million prize!
American Pharoah won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, and if he wins at the Belmont Stakes — the annual Thoroughbred horse race — he will be the first Triple Crown winner since 1978. We’re so excited! So what else do you need to know about this legendary horse race before it kicks off? Find out here!
1. When is the Belmont Stakes? The race will be held on June 6 in New York.
2. What channel is the Belmont Stakes on? The big race will air on NBC.
3. Who is favored to win the race? American Pharoah, trained by Bob Baffert, is the horse to beat! With an odds-on 4-5 favorite, the horse is at the lead of the pack.
4. Why is the race nicknamed the ‘Test Of Champions’? At 1.5 miles, the Belmont Stakes is the longest race in the Triple Crown. Not only that, but by the time the race is run, the field of competitors has been weeded out so only the very best of the crop compete.
5. Where is the Belmont Stakes being held? The Belmont Stakes will take place at Belmont Park in New York.
Even though American Pharoah is favored to win the race, there are still no guarantees. Last year, California Chrome won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, but failed to take home the prize at the Belmont Stakes –– that honor went to a horse named Tonalist. California Chrome came in fourth place in the final race in the Triple Crown and his owner Steve Coburn was seriously shocked and outraged by the big loss. But that’s the beauty of this race — anything can happen!
HollywoodLifers, are you excited for the Belmont Stakes? Do you think we’ll have the first Triple Crown winner in 38 years? Or will American Pharoah lose? Let us know!
— Allison Swan