Lucie Safarova fought hard during the major tennis tournament, the French Open, and for the first time in her career, she’s made it to the finals! Find out everything there is to know about this talented player.
Lucie Safarova, 28, will take on legendary tennis star Serena Williams, 33, during the French Open Finals on Saturday, June 6 and it’s going to be one heck of a match! Who exactly is this rising tennis star going up against Serena? We have 5 things you need to know about her below!
1) The Basics — Lucie was born in the Czech Republic on February 4, 1987, which makes her 28 years old, 5 years younger than her opponent, Serena. Lucie is 5 ft 10 and weighs 143 lbs.
2) Lucie made history on June 1 when she beat Maria Sharapova in the fourth round of the French Open. It was Maria’s earliest exit from the Grand Slam tournament since 2010– and this will be Lucie’s first time in the finals!
3) Another fun fact about Lucie is that she’s left-handed, which she definitely used to her advantage in her match against Maria. Lucie also has a strong two-handed backhand as well. This unique style of play has been compared to the ways of Rafael Nadal.
4) Lucie’s tennis coach is Rob Steckley, who has also coached tennis stars like Aleksandra Wozniak and Sania Mirza. Lucie and Rob has been working with Lucie since 2013, mainly focussing on improving her strength and on-court maturity.
5) If you want to sound cool and know the exact pronunciation of Lucie’s last name, here’s a video to help you out!
HollywoodLifers, who are you rooting for in the finals, Lucie or Serena? Let us know in the comments below!
— Shira Benozilio