After a major breakup, sometimes it can feel like it’s the end of the world. But don’t feel down! Follow these 10 steps, and you’ll be ready to move on in no time.
Breakups are never easy—and if you’ve been dumped, the experience can be especially hard on your confidence. So how can you start to feel better again? Do these 10 things ASAP.
10 Ways to Feel Better After A Breakup
1. Go out with your best friends. When you’re going through a hard time, call on the people that are always there for you. Nothing will restore your confidence better than having friends who love and support you remind you just how awesome you are.
2. Take on a new project at work. Find something you’ve always wanted to accomplish at work and make it happen! This has two benefits: First, you’ll be so busy throwing yourself into work you’re passionate about, you’ll be too busy to think about being heartbroken. Second, when you accomplish that goal — and get kudos for it at work — you’ll feel like the rockstar you are.
3. Watch your favorite TV show or movie. Here’s an easy task to put you in an instant good mood: Spend a lazy Sunday binge-watching whatever TV shows or movies make you laugh.
4. Create a playlist. Perk up your mood with a breakup playlist full of your favorite, confidence-boosting songs.
5. Treat yourself to a spa day. Whether you go for a budget-friendly pedicure or go all out and get a massage, do something that makes your body feel relaxed — soon your emotions will be too.
6. Two words: retail therapy. Update your wardrobe to go with this new chapter in your life. If you’re feeling up for it, find an outfit that is perfect for a date — it will inspire you to feel excited about new romantic possibilities on the horizon.
7. Call your mother and/or father. Talking to people who love and accept you unconditionally will fill your heart with joy.
8. Take a break from dating. Don’t just jump into dating again until you’re ready and have had some “me” time to heal your heart. A rebound date might be a good ego boost in the moment, but for long-term happiness, you want to make sure you’re totally over your ex before you fall in love again.
9. Exercise. Get those endorphins going! Exercising will leave you feeling healthy and mentally charged — and you’ll look good too.
10. Think deeply about you. Do an activity that makes you look inward and be in tune with your feelings, like journaling or meditating. Introspection will help you realize what you really want from a relationship, who you are inside, and whether or not you’re ready to move on.
Tell us, HollywoodLifers — what did you do after a breakup to feel better?
— Susan Johnson