From the very first second of the ‘Secrets & Lies’ finale, the answers started abruptly spilling out and it was not what you expected. Who really killed Tom?
Warning: if you don’t want to know who killed Tom or you missed the season one finale of Secrets & Lies, I wouldn’t continue. Spoilers ahead!
‘Secrets And Lies’ Finale
Here’s everything we learned from the crazy season finale of Secrets and Lies.
1. The Crawford family is now apparently close enough to joke about Ben’s (Ryan Phillippe) affair. Yes, his wife (KaDee Strickland) brought the girls over to spend New Years together, and they were suddenly civil. He also had divorce papers ready for her, and they seemed to be in agreement it’s the best.
2. The family reunion was short-lived: after Ben finds Abby’s (Belle Shouse) shows covered in blood, we find out what went down the night of Tom’s death: after hearing her parents fighting about Jess and saying that Scott was gone, Abby convinced Tom that if they ran away, Scott would come back. This way, Ben wouldn’t go be with Jess, and Tom would have his dad back: win win for both of them.
So, she took her dad’s flashlight and Jess’ rain coat, and into the woods they went. However, after he lost his toy tank, he decided he wanted to go home. When he ran away, she grabbed him to try and pull him back and hit him with the flashlight. She tried coming back for help but by that time, it was too late.
Let’s pause for a minute. Abby killed Tom? If you asked yourself “who’s Abby?” when reading this, you weren’t the only one thinking that. But I digress.
If Only They Made It To The River
3. Ben decided to burn the sneakers and send the kids away with Christy, only Natalie (Indiana Evans) refuses to go and wants to go to the police. Instead, Ben convinces her to stay with her Uncle Michael who for some reason is now much nicer.
4. Ben headed to Cornell (Juliette Lewis) and confessed that he killed Tom. She knew he was lying and tried to get him to break during confession — she knew that it was Abby and that he was covering for her. She also knew that Abby didn’t accidentally hit Tom, but hit him many times in the head.
5. Cornell breaks: she tried explaining that she had to put her own daughter away, and that Abby would kill again — but he only saw her as his little girl, and he went to jail.
6. Turns out, Cornell’s right: Abby’s a killer. The episode ended with her telling her mom “none of this would have happened if I got him to the river.”
So, it’s a good set up for next season, right? What did you think, HollywoodLifers? Do you think Ben will stay in jail? Are you shocked it was Abby?
— Emily Longeretta