It’s one of the biggest weekends ever! We have the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao fight in Las Vegas, the Kentucky Derby and it’s almost Cinco de Mayo. These celebrations call for a drink and we have just the thing for you!
It’s going to be quite a weekend and weather you’re spending it at home or out with friends you’ve got to try one of these yummy cocktails. They are easy to make and your friends, guests and loved one will devour them.
Kentucky Derby & Cinco De Mayo Cocktails: Try These Delicious Recipes
The Flaming Julep
In a rocks glass with ice, add:
* 1½ oz. Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire
* 3 oz. Cranberry juice
* Stir and garnish with a mint leaf
Cruzan Hats Off Julep
2 parts Cruzan® Estate Diamond® Dark Rum
1⁄2 part Turbinado Simple Syrup
Pinch of Mint
Muddle Mint and Berries in a julep cup. Add Cruzan® Estate Diamond® Dark Rum and Turbinado Simple Syrup and fill with crushed ice. Take a hePy bouquet of Mint and rinse with water, then sprinkle Mint with powdered sugar for garnish with 3 speared Blackberries.
Clos Dew Drop Cocktail
· oz Clos du Bois California Chardonnay
· 2 oz gin
· 2 oz grapefruit juice
· 1-2 oz of simple syrup depending on preference of sweetness
Directions: Shake all ingredients with ice and serve in in vintage tea cups
Mint Old Fashioned
Served at JIMMY at The James
In a tin:
* Muddled Mint
* 2 oz. Knob Creek Bourbon
* .25 oz. Grand Marnier
* .5 oz. Simple Syrup
* Shake Rocks Ice
* Garnish with an Orange Twist, Mint and a Cherry
Served at The Wayfarer
In a High Ball Glass filled with Ice:
* 2 oz.Earl Grey Old Forester Bourbon
* ¾ oz. Drambuie
* 1 oz. Yuzu
* 1 oz. Orange Juice
* ¾ oz. Honey Syrup
* 2 Dashes of Orange Bitters
* Combine in a shaker with a scoop of ice
* Shake well and strain into glass
* Garnish with an Orange Wedge
Served at The Skylark
* 1.5 oz. Elijah Craig
* .25 oz. Illegal Mescal Reposado
* .25 oz. Yellow Chartreuse
* 1 oz. Honey Syrup
* .75 oz. Lemon Juice
* Shake And Strain Over Large Grilled Lemon Ice Cube
* No Garnish
Amante Picante Margarita
By LA’s Juan Martinez (Toca Madera)
2 oz. DeLeón Platinum Tequila
.75 oz. agave
1 oz. lime juice
Muddle two pieces of serrano pepper and clap 5 pieces of cilantro in a tin. Rim a highball with Tajin/Ghost pepper salt, shake all ingredients together and strain into a the highball glass. Garnish with a serrano pepper and sprig of cilantro.
Las Flores de Mayo
By New York City’s Brian Matthys (The Gander, Corkbuzz)
2 oz. DeLeón Platinum Tequila
1 oz. Verjus
¼ oz. Velvet Falernum
2 dashes cacao bitters
Add all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir well over ice. Strain into a chilled couple and garnish with a thin lime wheel.
Basil Hayden’s® High Stakes Julep
Created by Marie Zahn (Louisville, KY)
2 parts Basil Hayden’s ® Bourbon
1 bar spoon Apricot Jelly or Preserves
10 Mint Leaves
1. Add 8 mint leaves to a glass and lightly press with the back of a bar spoon.
2. Add Basil Hayden’s Bourbon, apricot jelly and crushed ice into the glass.
3. Swizzle briefly and add more crushed ice until it is mounding over the top of the glass.
4. Add a straw and garnish with additional sprigs of mint.
Knob Creek® Mint Julep
1½ parts Knob Creek® Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon
2 bunches mint
1 part simple syrup* (see below)
1 splash soda
1. Mix sprigs of mint with simple syrup and splash of soda.
2. Fill julep cup with fine crushed ice and pour in bourbon.
3. Lift out and decorate with two mint leaves.
4. Add powdered sugar over mint to add an optional frosted appearance.
Simple Syrup Recipe
1. Combine equal parts of sugar and water in a saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sugar is fully dissolved.
3. Allow to cool before using in cocktail.
Sour Seer Sucker Mojito
2 parts BACARDÍ Superior Rum
4 lime wedges
12 fresh mint leaves
2 heaped tsp of caster sugar
1 part soda water/club soda
Sprig of fresh mint to garnish
Gently press together the limes & sugar. Bruise the mint leaves by clapping them between your palms, rub them on the rim of the glass and drop them in. Next, half fill the glass with crushed ice, add the BACARDÍ Superior rum & stir. Top up with crushed ice, a splash of soda and a sprig of mint.
HollywoodLifers, are you planning on celebrating Cinco de Mayo or the Kentucky Derby?
— Chloe Melas