It’s going to be the fight of the century! Floyd Mayweather is taking on Manny Pacquiao on May 2 and the whole world will be watching, but why is this event SO big? We broke it all down for you below!
Floyd Mayweather, 38, and Manny Pacquiao, 36, will go head to head at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas — millions of people will be watching, millions of dollars with be made and millions of dollars will be lost in bets! Check out our list of 5 things to know about this fight to find out why it is such an important fight that will go down in history forever!
Mayweather Vs. Pacquiao Fight — 5 Things To Know About It’s Importance
1) Who is fighting? Floyd Mayweather is going up against Manny Pacquiao. The main reason this will be such a monumental sporting event is because these two athletes are the best pound-for-pound boxers in the sport! While Mayweather maintains a 47-0 record, Pacquiao has fought many of the same opponents as Mayweather, often times slaying his opponents harder than Mayweather.
2) What makes this pairing special & exciting? This is the first time the two fighters will go head to head — this fight has basically been 5 years in the making! A fight was set for November 2009, but negotiations fell through after Pacquiao’s camp said no to blood and urine drug testing before the fight.
3) Why is this fight so important? There is a big chance that Mayweather will be dethroned as one of the greatest boxers of all time. Mayweather has been accused of avoiding the Pacquiao fight because it has the potential to be his toughest challenge yet.
4) How much money will be made? The fight will have generated approximately $74 million in gate revenue, which is almost FOUR times the amount the Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez fight generated in 2013. With viewers paying $90-$100 to watch at home on PPV, the fight is expected to earn a total of $400 million in revenue. Mayweather will earn roughly $160 million of that and Pacquiao will get $120 million.
5) Which celebs will be there? Robert De Niro, Clint Eastwood, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Michael J. Fox, Tom Brady, Mark Wahlberg and P. Diddy are only a handful of the many A-list names who will be in attendance.
The action will officially begin at 6 p.m. ET on PPV! HollywoodLifers, who do you think is going to win the fight? Vote and let us know why in the comments below!
— Shira Benozilio